1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy

((I had been excluding her, if I was counting right. So if you don't want Fiona to compete she didn't/won't. If you do she did/will. But if she gets very far there is the very real chance she could be named Traitor, or worse, but Fiona doesn't know the worse part, yet.
I'm having trouble writing this. Too many Tytali in my head and it's tough without a keyboard and adequate word processor. This thread is paused for me until later tomorrow.))

((Yeah, let's just have her along for the ride, occasionally making comments from the peanut gallery, and trying to enjoy the show.))

So, if Marcus was going along with it, you'd ping him over one of the others? Since there are five magi left at the table, it's Marcus, Rose, Fiona (now that she's playing) and two Tytalus magi. We can reset it to six total, 3 Tytalus, if you'd prefer, now that we know Fiona is playing.

Please reset it to six total and have Augustina ping both Tytali -- not Marcus, Stultus knows how Marcus will react.

Both Tytalus smile when pinged for a second time.
Rose begins, "So, who shall we march this round."
One of the Tytalus says, "No one need be marched. The game is over."
The other one who smiled, "Oh, why as that?"
Smiling Tytalus 1:"I was pinged again. Very little reason to do that a second time."
Smiling Tytalus 2:"Wait, you were pinged again?"
Rose:"March him."
Marcus:"Agreed."
Smiling Tytalus 1"Wait! We are all corrupted."
Rose:"I'm not corrupted." she turns to Marcus and asks, "Are you corrupted?"
Marcus:"Certainly not."
Smiling Tytalus 2:"I agree, march him."
Other Tytalus:"Agreed."
RosE: "Fiona?"

Fiona smiles. [color=blue]"I think I've been doing more corrupting than being corrupted for years. But, yes, I say march the traitor. And his accomplice. Obviously their claims of both being pinged are a poorly-designed ruse to get us to let our guards down while the true traitor bids his...or her...time." She looks meaningfully at Rose at the last bit.

((Two Tytalus smiled, but only one claimed to be pinged twice, and the other made a clever lie of omission, when he suggested that the first smiling Tytalus was the only one who had been pinged twice by saying "again". I'll play it that you just agreed to march the one who spoke first and was cleverly isolated.))

Rose says, "We are agreed, he's marched."

Stultus nods, rubbing the bridge of his nose. "All right. The game is over. Flowers will be disbursed tomorrow at breakfast, once Augustina and I have had a chance to discuss things." He waggles his fingers at the remaining contestants. "Go on. Shoo. You're dismissed. Fiona, sweetheart, stick around...." He gives the giantess a salacious grin, playing to the audience. "A judge requires a staff, and I'll have a position for you on my staff in a moment."

Fiona licks her lips hungrily. [color=blue]"I can't wait to feel what you have in mind. Here. I mean hear."

Once the rest of the Tytali wander out, Stultus loses his smile. "Good Lord above, Augustina, where'd you get this bunch of losers from? The best way to act in a game like that is to pretend total and complete innocence, which means walking a fine line between playing 'follow the leader' and jousting for the leader spot yourself. The leader spot is dangerous, yes, because you attract attention -- but just about every one of them chose to err on the side of safety instead! When did our House become all about playing it safe? And I'm not even talking about the moron who claimed the rules got broken. He should have known better. He really, really should have known better. The two who performed best weren't even of our House -- because they were playing for the love of the game, which the rest of them damn well SHOULD have been doing."

"Such is the state of our House. Conflicts have stalled. None of these feel confident enough to challenge Harpax or Bulliste, but all are certainly capable. This is as much about building rivalries for further challenges down the line as much as it is about selecting a worthy second Traitor. If they need to see that those outside the House can play their games better than they do, well, it's a powerful lesson, is it not? You know I had invited Cumhachd, I thought she would be exceptional, but she demurred, suggested you or Tranquillina and said she had a bigger challenge. I decided against Tranquillina, and I had plans for you, as you can see. But you see, this lack of willing to be challenged by members of the House that's much of the problem with the House, Tyatli of this generation believe that the best challenges are the ones from outside the House. They aren't unworthy challenges, but they ignore the culture of the House, and lose what it means to be a Tytalus."

[color=blue]"I hope you'll forgive my impudence," Fiona says as she leans forward, elbows on her knees. [color=blue]"I'm not as familiar with your House's culture as some other outsiders might be, which may well be why I'm here, but is it possible that the majority of Tytali believe that none of their housemates can make them stronger, so they feel compelled to seek conflict from without?"

"I had considered that, but this business with the contenders for Primacy, choosing sides." Augustina pauses and looks at Fiona closely, "Tell me, Fiona, do you have an interest in joining our House, or are you more interested in being an agent provocateur? You need to decide, because until I know your intentions, I won't share any more with you. Stultus can, of course, but that would be his decision, but I think he can see how doing so would be ultimately self-defeating for our purposes here."

Fiona is surprised by the...don't know if that's an offer, or just a question, but still. Leaving her House, such as it is? And not just her, but Sheelagh. How would she feel about subjecting her apprentice to what she's heard of the horrors of Tytalan apprenticeship?

[color=blue]"I...I've never even considered being Tytalus before," Fiona says.

She looks at Stultus, [color=blue]"What do you think?" she says in Gaelic. [color=blue]"Can you see me as a Tytalus? And would you help me with the ins and outs of your House?"

((continuing the thread until cunningrat1 gets back from his work-slammage.))

[color=blue]"Would I be a full-fledged member, Fiona filia Marós scholae Tytali, no more a member of House ex Miscellanea? What would be required of me? And what of my apprentice?

And if I should chose to be an agent provocateur, instead?"

"You can pursue membership in House Tytalus, if you find a worthy Tytalus to sponsor you. That is separate from the events transpiring here. If you were to win this competition and be named Traitor, I would be your sponsor. If you were to lose the competition here, I'm sure you could find an able and willing sponsor. As to membership in the House, it is for your sponsor to determine, and you would have the rights and privileges of both Houses, in my opinion. Though it isn't commonly discussed, Pralix never really left House Tytalus, or at least we of House Tytalus never considered that she had left, if that makes any sense. As to your apprentice, do what you will. Train her as a Tytalus would, from the Book of Instruction, so that she might be considered Tytalus, or train her as your tradition dictates, where she continues your line in House ex Miscellanea. To us of House Ttyalus, it doesn't matter."
When Fiona asks about the agent provocateur, "We may include you in these discussions, and you may act as if you're competing, when in reality you are not. Some will see through the ruse you are attempting to perpetrate, and call you out. Of course, that can work to our advantage, as well. Regardless, if you choose to be an agent provocateur, that doesn't preclude you from pursuing membership in House Tytalus."

Fiona thinks for a couple of minutes, a grin slowly spreading across her face as she considers the implications...not only for herself, but for Tytalus.

[color=blue]"I'm sure it would stir quite the hornets' nest if a lowly ex Miscellanea were to be allowed to join as prestigious house as Tytalus...especially who's 'not even human'"

Fiona grins. [color=blue]"But first things first. I have a competition to win."

Stultus nods. "Good. That's what I was hoping you'd say."

He steeples his fingers. "That said... Augustina... two things. First of all, in your letter, you mentioned you favor someone for the competition. Who?"

"The one we eliminated first, Porphyrion. He is probably the most capable. He has been in the Tribunal for a while seeking allies to assist him. Few have been willing to stand with him, and he knows he cannot stand against Bulliste and Harpax unaided."

The dwarf nods slowly. "Interesting. I shall have to watch him. I shall have to watch all of them quite closely..."

"Second thing is not related to our purpose here at all." He drops his voice, and asks Augustina to make sure they're not overheard (PeIm spell or some such). Once that's done, he continues.

"The woman we came here with, Allips... there's a problem with her. She is grieving deeply for the loss of her husband, and there's a possibility that that has opened the door for the Infernal to gain some hold over her: whether that is the case, and whether it was by her choice, is unknown. May I ask for your assistance in watching over her, and subtly ascertaining whether that is the case? She's rather fragile, and rather important to some of my covenant mates, so subtlety would be best. I'd take it as a great personal favor if you'd say yes."