1259.4 First Council meeting of Hèviz

"I have a squad of grogs I brought with me. However one of them is getting long in years, and will be retiring from regular duties in the field before too long. He will continue to be an asset for training new grogs, though. All of the grogs I brought with me are all used to facing the unusual, except for the newest member. New members of my squad are typically designated as my shield grog, primarily because they aren't as well skilled at combat and can disrupt the group, and because it gives them a chance to be acclimatized to the effects of the Gift. I made my living in Thebes by fighting the magical and fae creatures that covenants there couldn't bothered to fight themselves. Infestations of vis sources are fairly common in Thebes, and there are a few of us who do this kind of work, so that covenants don't have to have someone dedicated to combat." The words coming out of her mouth seem to be consistent with a combat maga, but stand out because her appearance doesn't appear to be a combat maga. She shows no signs of great strength one would expect.

"We do have a language barrier problem. I speak Greek, as do they. One of them does speak Latin, but they will all be trained in Latin and be fluent, likely before I complete my Latin studies, because it is important that the grogs of the oppida be able to understand any magus or maga who needs them. They do follow instructions well, and are extremely well disciplined in the face of odd or strange occurrences. They are used to my tactics in battle." Ophelia looks around the table at everyone, not just Zoltan, "If you think you will need them within the coming year, I will likely come along, as they are used to my combat tactics, and we need some transition time so that they know what to expect."

If a Hoplite comes in without Ophelia I would question their authority to demand your immediate help. Unless there is an obvious problem like a dragon flying around. Then I would recommend listening to the Hoplite.

At the moment, the oppidum has a squad of 24 men plus a Sargent for protection of the compound. If our Hoplite feels that we need more then she may request them. Each magus may have a shield grog. Either one brought in or one from the Tribunal. I saw that Diotima and Eve were given shield grogs by the Tribunal when they entered. Zoltan may need a special one considering his task.

Zoltan has a sly smirk on his face at the mention of the grogs. "And the other... servants stipulated. But, I shall also be able to summon some assistance, I was speaking of that earlier. Since we are on that topic...my House has certain magical means that are not as available to others. They offer spells and effects that are different. I can create a ritual that lasts for a full year and a day, rather than merely the four equinoxes. Spells to effect everything upon a road, considering we are at an inn, that might be useful. I can create spells to help enforce bargains, and spells upon an entire bloodline. I can travel through the fae regios and auras even if I have not been there and have no connection to it . This can afford myself a means of travel unavailable to most." he turns to Ophelia with a raised eyebrow. "You wanted a dossier?"

"I'm not unfamiliar with your House, Zoltan. What you've highlighted is not a dossier, so much as a list of the possible. I don't deal in the possible. I deal in what exists now. So you have a fancy means of transportation. That don't impress me much."

Zoltan's smile fades in a heartbeat and his head whips back to look at Ophelia, his eyes boring into hers and a slight curl to his lip. Seconds go by before he finally turns away. "I am not here to impress you, hoplite, let us move on if you please." he says to Laterala.

With a sense of earnestness and some contrition, "By all means. But my comment wasn't meant to incite rancor, but to suggest that we all have gifts, and each of us will perform according to our gifts. So, do you have a spell that affords you the ability to affect anyone on the road that you know, now? Your travel capability, does it have an element of chance to it, such that you might not end up at your destination or arrive at the desired time?"

Ophelia takes a serious tone, "For example, I can say with some measure of confidence that most magi will likely not land an offensive spell on me, if I'm aware that they are on the field. My abilities aren't widely known, for I've never competed in a Flambeau Tournament, but I can say with some measure of certainty that the magus and magae here are trustworthy, given the Tremere brought them here. It's only fair you understand my capabilities, since I'm responsible for security." She takes a deep breath, "And this is what I can do now. Not without some study. Do you know The Incantation of Lightning? I invite you to a duel of sorts, to try and cast it and land it on me. Or any Auram spell you might know. And I can do the same for most offensive magics."

Zoltan turns back to Ophelia looking bored. "I am not interested in playing tag with my magics. You need not worry about me striking you with them, not for your own skills, but for my own lack of intent. I am sure you are quite skilled, the Tremere would not have invited you otherwise. I brought up my unique talents and capabilities in case we should find use for them, I could design a spell or an item that others cannot. I brought those up for the benefit of the Covenant, not to be told I fail to impress. So, knowing some of what I can do, feel free to consult me for such needs."

"So, again. It's not really part of your dossier."

Zoltan's eyes narrow as he focuses quite intently on Ophelia with his inhuman glare. "Sodale..." he hisses. "What is it you want? Speak plainly and be done with this!"

((reminder he has Piercing Gaze virtue. Up til now he's mainly been unnerving in general, now he's intent on making her feel uncomfortable))

((Yeah, you need to roll to make her feel uncomfortable. She is trying to be cheeky, too. Leadership roll for intimidation, I'd say.))

Ophelia rolled a 5, her leadership is 3. I'm not sure what the best Characteristic would be...

((It would probably be Zoltan's Leadership vs a Brave personality trait i would think. Don't have my book with me, but it gives like a +3 I think. Jebrick want to make a roll?))

((Presence))

Total is 8.

((It's a test of leadership, not bravery, IMO. And then there's the whole issue of scaring magi and companions and tests against personality traits being used primarily for grogs. Think Zoltan's strange eyes are the scariest thing Ophelia's seen?))

((Roll of 5 + 1 Pre + 2 Leadership + 3 Piercing Gaze = 11 for Zoltan))

((No, I'm sure she's seen worse, but with her experience she's likely to see warning signs and maybe decide some things aren't worth pursuing. Then again, maybe he made a hell of an impression?))

Ophelia overts her gaze from his with some reluctance, but spits out "I deal in the known. I can only work with what exists now. Security is not an end result, it is a constant refinement of understanding threats, identifying assets, and mitigating risks. It never ends. So, what you've done is repeat things any magus who past gauntlet knows. You're good with Auram, can summon the faeries, but apparently you don't know any spells that take advantages of your House's alternative range, duration or targeting parameters. Is that a fair assessment of all that you've said about your capabilities, so far?" As she says this, she looks around Zoltan, but not at Zoltan, not meeting his gaze. It's clear that she finds his gaze off-putting, but it's also clear that she's determined and insightful.

Zoltan smirks in some satisfaction. 'The snake does not always get the bird...but Zoltan always does...'

"We have taken up enough time of this meeting I'm sure on this topic. When it is more appropriate I will be happy to provide more specific information where it pertains to security, if that is what you wish. And at that time we can also discuss what you would like developed based on those capabilities. I would be happy to use that knowledge and help all in this Oppida to grow hale and strong. I am sorry Laterala, I believe you had mentioned the casting of the aegis. One thing I can definitely contribute is a Wizard's Communion of 4th magnitude to help in its casting."

((Moving right along 8) ))

Ophelia has an apprehensive look upon her face at mention of the Aegis. It's completely apparent to anyone that this is an area where she is quite deficient. But then she considers Zoltan's words, "Is that 4 magnitudes of power to the Aegis or two?" It's a blatant attempt to keep the subject off her, too.

Zoltan considers the question a moment before speaking. "The Wizard's Communion spell I know is the 4th Magnitude."

((He's not likely going to add a whole heck of a lot to an Aegis though, his casting total for WC is +14 and then the aura. But he is contributing.))