1260.4 - The Bear At the Front Door

Ankoydes glances at the scroll briefly but says nothing. He focuses his attention on Laterala.

[color=blue]"What known threats do the oppidum face? How well equipped are the magi to defend themselves and others? How capable is the turb? Who is the hoplite I will be serving under?"

A woman in a gray woolen traveler's dress walks in and interjects, "I prefer to say serving with, rather than under. The Tremere do so love their hierarchy. But I prefer to look at it as a partnership. My tactics tend towards the unconventional and focus on working with munanes, and for the most part the turb are men who have served under me."
She regards Ankoydes a moment, "It's been some time since we've seen each other, Ankoydes."

Ophelia did make occasional visits to Polyaigos, but often was running around the Tribunal. The last time Ankoydes might have seen her was the last Theban Tribunal where she narrowly avoided being Marched. She and her men killed an accused infernalist (accused by her) in self defense. He had a lot of support in the Tribunal who didn't know or didn't care he was an infernalist.

[color=blue]"What a pleasant surprise!" Ankoydes says as he stands to greet his countrywoman. [color=blue]"It's been a while. I had no idea that you had decided to seek your fortunes here. I'm glad that I'll not have to work with someone I don't already know, that should make things go more smoothly."

(note to self: come up with some accomplishments for Ankoydes beyond "he was here.")

You two can have a partnership but you ( she points to Ophelia ) will be held responsible if anything goes wrong. The men look to you for orders. I do not want them wondering who to obey if both of you give conflicting orders.

[color=blue]"I understand completely. No sense confusing the turb any more than necessary. And I say I look forward to working with you, Ophelia." He then switches to Greek. [color=blue]"Once we get settled in, I would like to meet with you so we can discuss our policies and strategies as far as protecting the magi and the mundanes, and running the turb."

Ankoydes turns back to Laterala. [color=blue]"Is there instruction in Latin for my family? They've never had any reason to speak anything but Greek before, but they are to fit in."

Ophelia waves her hand at Laterala, not quite dismissively. "Of course. If we are both in the field, I'll have nominal command. At home, here building the turb and training the turb we will work together. Conflicting orders will be handled in private. End runs of the turb about Ankoydes, should he give an order they dislike will be met with stiff discipline, if only to demonstrate to the turb that he and I are in accord."

My first instruction is that Latin is the language of the Tribunal. It is what is spoken between Magi. What you speak to your family or lovers in private does not matter to me or anyone else. But to keep the trust going between all magi me must speak a common language and that language is Latin.

She looks to Ophelia. Have you and your men finished with Stjepan(the good Latin teacher)?

Ankoydes nods. [color=blue]"I apologize, Laterala."

Laterala nods in acknowledgement. Ankoydes, you will be given a salary of 12p of vis per year for the performance of your duties as a Hoplite of this Tribunal. Just make your wishes know to the Redcaps as to the type. As a Hoplite you have other resources to call on for weapons or men if you deem it necessary and the Tribunal agrees with your assessment.
By being appointed a Hoplite, you have been designated as Socii and a member of the Covenant of Domostron. Do not bother to look it up on the map. It was destroyed long ago by raiders from Thebes. But due to the politics of the Order and Tribunal, it remains a Covenant on the books. Do you have any questions?

Her tone suggests that is standard language and she is just reciting the boilerplate parts of the contract.

Ankoydes thinks a minute before he answers. [color=blue]"No, I don't. I'm anxious for my family and I to get to our new home, where I can meet my sodales and we can start to get situated."

He quaffs the remainder of his beer.

Hmmm. Yes. Quite in a rush. Well then, I shall let you two discuss your plans for our security. We shall call a council meeting on Midwinter night to discuss the Aegis boundaries and then to cast it.

If there is nothing else then have Aleksandar see to your rooms.

[color=blue]"I will be there. Thank you, Laterala."

Unless Ophelia has anything, he will join his family. The next day, he goes to the oppidum to see where his chambers and laboratory are, and seek out Stjepan.

He spends the next week or so before the Winter council meeting speaking with Ophelia about what defences the oppidum has and doesn't have, exploring the grounds, watching (and sparring with) the turb (assuming they speak either Latin or either form of Greek), and generally getting acquainted with the area. He doesn't necessarily go out of his way to meet the other wizards yet, but he isn't hard to find, either.

He also introduces his petite 16-year-old daughter to the turb, as he plans on letting her join once she learns to communicate with them (either Latin or the local language, whichever one the turb speaks).

(After the first council meeting.)

Ankoydes closes the door to his chambers as quietly as he can and waits for his eyes to adjust to the dark. The only light in the sitting room is the glow from the guttering fire. He smiles when he sees Xenia dozing in her chair by the window, one of his robes piled on her lap. He kneels next to her, takes her hand in his, and kisses it gently. [color=blue]"Thank you for waiting up for me, love," he whispers.

"Wizards never keep civilized hours," she replies sleepily, then takes a deep breath. She always loves breathing next to him. Something about the way he smelled. Others may complain about the stink, or make snide comments about how her husband smelled like an animal. To her, however, Alexandros didn't smell like a wild animal; to her, he smelled like love, and safety, and comfort, and he just smelt right somehow.

"Everything went well, I trust?" Xenia asks with a smile as she gets to her feet.

[color=blue]"Of course. We've renewed the magical protection around the covenant, which should keep most of the fae and other magical creatures out...although there is one faerie who is...the responsibility of the magus Zoltan, a girl named Juriska who may be a problem. Especially as she tends to be unseen. If this faerie causes you any problems, let me know and I will speak with Zoltan about it."

"Or, if Zoltan speaks Greek, I could speak with him myself."

[color=blue]"Or you can speak with him yourself, of course. Zoltan said he may also be bringing in other fae for his studies, so if we see any unfamiliar faeries, he is the one to best address the matter.

"And I am making arrangements with Stjepan for you and Sophia to learn Latin."

"Why?"

[color=blue]"Because they speak Latin here, not Greek."

"The magi speak Latin, arkouthky. The people, the covenfolk, they speak the other language, yes? 'Hrvatski'? If I am to fit in, I should learn their language. Sophia, she could stand to learn both. Perhaps it would give her less time to pick on the others who aren't blessed with a magus for a father." Xenia's opinion of her daughter's attitude is evident in the way her words come out as a mocking sneer.

Ankoydes sighs. [color=blue]"She's still on about that? I'll have another talk with her."

"You've talked to her until your face was blue and her ears are red. The time for talk is past. It may be that the only way for her to lose that fool notion is for someone to beat it out of her. And not you," Xenia added as Ankoydes opened his mouth. "She has to learn that lesson from one of her fellows, someone she had been picking on for being less special than her. And, yes, it will be a hard lesson for all of us."

"Now," Xenia says as she kisses her husband deeply. "We were talking about what tongue I should learn?"

[color=blue]"You are right, of course," Ankoydes replies. [color=blue]"Slavic to fit in with the covenfolk, and if you need to deal with one of the magi, I suppose I could be your voice."

"But not tonight, love. Let's get to bed before you fall asleep on your feet."