1271.3-1272.1c It's In The Way That You Use It (Clement)

Please read the section labeled Rationem facere ex nihilo in your summa for our next lecture. There are some areas that will touch on some magic theory that you may not understand yet. Do not worry as I will cover them in our discussion. That is all.

Margerethe clambers down from her seat and heads to the front of the class to approach the owl. [color=purple]"Excuse me, Hybrida? How should I address you?"

You may address me as Professor Hybrida

Clement looks up from the summa. hhhhuuuurrrrrrmmmm

Oh all right. Hybrida will do...FOR NOW This last part is clearly directed at Clement.

She also likes to be called pretty birdie or beautiful Hybrida. Clement adds his head back down in the book.

Yes. Those will do as well. Also something to denote my wisdom. Wise Hybrida or perceptive Hybrida.

Clement is seen to be smiling while continuing to read.

Babette hops down from her chair, carefully holding her books. She blows a kiss to the owl. "Au revoir la petite jolie bird." she says and blushes before hurrying out. "Au revoir Professor." she calls back as she leaves the classroom.

Merci délicieuse enfant. Hybrida says to Babette as she leaves.

Latin please. Clement says, not lifting his head.

[color=purple]"Auf Wiedersehen, kluge Eule," Margerethe says to Hybrida and then turns to Clement.

[color=purple]"Have a good afternoon, Professor," she says to Clement (in Latin), [color=purple]"and thank you."

The diminutive discipula heads back to the students' common room to get her homework (Fiona's technique-and-form "bingo card"; whatever Catrina, Fabricus, whoever's teaching Flora and Fauna, and Ancel hand out; and Clement's reading) done before sunset, in hopes that she can still make it outside to play while it's light out.

"Bene, Magister Clement," Imric says to their professor in Latin, as he makes his way out of the classroom. "Et vale sapientes Hybrida," he adds to Hybrida.

Several weeks of classes go by as Clement drills the students on proper intonations and hand movements focused on the technique of Creo. Entering the classroom, Professor Clement is not at the lectern but in the lab. Hybrida's normal perch has been moved to the lab near Clement.

Come back here. Find a seat at one of the tables.

Ambrose races towards one of the tables closet to Clement and Hybrida.

Imric makes his way in and takes a seat in his normal place. He chats with the others as he walks in, having come to know them all in the weeks that they've been studying. For the most part they seemed like a nice group of kids. The only one he didn't get at the moment was Ambrose. He seemed to be keeping his distance from the rest of the students. Maybe his sainted grandmother had warned him to keep his distance. The Briton shrugs. Then he notices the change in setup in the classroom. Were they going to get a practical demonstration instead of more lecturing? That sounded exciting.

Babbette comes in with muted excitement; she seems excited but at the same time is trying hard to keep her normally shy exterior. She held hands with Margarethe whom she's developed a bit of friendship with* as they walked in and then headed to the set up in the back.

* Is that OK?

As Julius finds a seat, Clement stands and addresses the students. You have worked very hard the last several weeks on the mindset needed for Creo. We have worked on the gestures that help focus the mind and the words that will aid you with the magic flow. Today you shall try to put it together with a simple spell.

Clement gestures to two servants in the back of the lab. They bring what to most of the children would be the largest candle they have ever seen. It stands a full 4 feet high and is at least 6 inches in diameter. The wick is thick. Just right for the size. Clement brings a smaller candle over to light the large one.

Now. Do we need the gestures to cast the spell? Margarethe?

Margerethe heads to the back and tries to find a seat with a good view, preferably near a window and/or Hybrida, which allows her to see over the table.

Yep.

Margerethe smiles, pleased that Clement called on her first. [color=purple]"For now, yes, until we gain a better understanding of Creo or Ignem, or both. Gestures, and words, help focus the energies we draw on to cast spells."

Yes. They help to focus the mind on the task. They are not needed but a helpful pattern for us.

Now what we will be trying today is a Creo Auram. If successful, we will make the flame flicker like so.

Clement casts CrAu 3 ( base 1 +2 voice)

cast CrAu3 (1d10=7)

He makes sure his words and gestures are slow and clear.

I hope you observed the gesture to Auram and the linking gesture from the technique into the form. Clement demonstrates the gestures again and has everyone do it. Correcting those who might mess up.

And we had the words for what form and what we wanted.

Clement recites the words slowly with emphasis on the part they have not had. He writes them on the blackboard and has them repeat it.

Now, lets give it a go. Ambrose. I understand your Grandmother had quite an affinity for Auram. Lets see if you have inherited that gift. Step over here and give it a try.

Margerethe's face lights up when Professor Clement announces that they would be doing Creo Auram (she likes open spaces and fresh air, and was told by her father that she's descended from spirits of the air). But then she looks crestfallen when he chooses on that arrogant jerk to try the spell. Part of her hopes he fails, just so he'd quit acting so stuck-up all the time. But part of her hopes he succeeds, and maybe stop being such a brat when he realizes that he's no where he just just because his grandmother's some famous maga somewhere.

She finds herself unconsciously aping Clement's gestures as he's demonstrating them. (Although she doesn't know it, she has/will have Deft Form: Auram, as well as Puissant/Affinity with Auram.)

Ambrose has put the last few weeks of study in the Art of Creo to good use, and opened that Art.

Creo 1 + Auram 1+3 + Sta 3 +4 +MMF(weather) 1+ die roll of 7 -Age penalty 1=19/2=10.

((I've presumed that after "several" weeks an experience point has been earned and that students have been able to open some Arts at each point and opened both Creo and Auram. Edit: I forgot the age penalty, Ambrose is 10 and has Deft Stamina.))

Out standing! Well done Ambrose. Who shall try next? Julius?

Julius steps up, concentrating hard and tries casting the spell

Cr 1 + Au 0 + St 2 - 2 ( age penalty) + CrAu3 (1d10=8) = 9/2 = 4 Success.

The candle flame waves in the magical breeze and Julius looks relieved.

Very good Julius!

Julius slumps back to his seat grinning but looking tired.

Babbette? Will you give it a try?

(I'll try when I get home so I can make a roll, sorry for the delay))

Babette was both anxious and excited as she saw the success on the other students...but she was not very confident she could do the same.

Initially she shakes her head when the professor calls on her, allowing her hair to hide her face. She hopes that he moves on and then finally peaks through her locks and sees he hasn't changed. She sighs and moves over to the candle, her fingers already trying to make the gestures. The Creo seemed easy...

[i]Creo 2 + Auram 1 + Stamina -1 (with age penalty): 1d10+2 → [2,2] = (4) Total level 2 (+2 more from aura 4/2)

invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4531354/ [/i]

She makes the gestures and says the words in a tentative voice and what results initially is a puff of air, no stronger than a sigh and then it strengthens to a gentle breez and causes the flame to flicker. Babette's face turns from a pathetic frown to a big smile as she looks to the professor.*

*edited after adding Aura

That was very good! I think you have quite a talent. Your Creo gestures were perfect. A small stumble on the linking to the Aurum but still very good.

Margerethe. Step up here and give it a try. If you feel nervous then remember what I just showed.

((I was hoping that Julius would fail first as he has no virtues to help him. Lucky roll vs unlucky roll))