2.4 - Amos, Cygna and Viscaria scout out labs

Cygna stands to one side as Amos continues to search, arms crossed and trying very hard not to tap her foot.

Intellego spells are stupid. Grr. It's Base 3 to detect regio boundaries. +1 Range Touch, +1 Concentration, +0 Target [/i]individual[/i]. Or you could go +0 Personal, +1 Concentration, +1 Sense:Touch. Either way, it is InVi 5.

You are free to do the math and the die roll yourself, Chico. But you've got In 3 + Vi 5 + Sta 3 + Aura 5 = 16 + stress die roll / 2 or 5. For SG-fun, I'm going to cede you the die roll and say that you succeed, and use Range Touch, thus (I believe) revealing the regio boundary to the others.

Amos's spell reveals a regio-boundary hole large enough for a cask of wine to be rolled through, with smooth white marble walls. You get the sense that it leads to a room, but you cannot really perceive through a boundary.

Cygna nods. [color=red]"Well, at least now we know where the boundary is...such as it is. Doesn't seem very big, does it? But the next problem is how to get through the bloody thing. If I remember my Intellego lessons, you actually have to see how to get through a regio boundary. I'm not sure if my combination of Intellego and Vim is up to the task, but I'm willing to give it a go."

She then kneels/crouches at the area where Amos showed the regio boundary to be and starts to sing her improvisational spell, using Loud Words and Exaggerated Gestures, and peering so intently at the wall that she's almost squinting. [color=red]"♪♫ There must be a path to this regio/This spell I cast shall show me the way to go. ♫♪" As she sings, the sound of flapping wings grows louder against that particular portion, sounding very much like a large bird pounding against a windowpane.

Base 3 (detect regio boundaries, with a Vision Target to provide enough information to find a way between levels). R: Per, D: Mom, T: Vision (+4), for a target level of 15, if I have it figured right.

In 6 + Vim 3 + Sta 0 + Aura 5 + Words/Gestures 2 + roll of 7 = 23÷2=11. Closer than I thought, but not close enough.

When she's done, Cygna will get back to her feet and shake her head, then slam her hand against the wall in frustration. [color=red]"Not good enough. And wouldn't it be a kick to the head if Cersei left the instructions over there."

She takes a deep breath and looks around. [color=red]"Well, shall we continue looking, then?"

(As they continue to search Cersei's chambers/sanctum/laboratory/what-have-you, Cygna will keep an eye out for anything that can be used as an Arcane Connection to Cersei that may still be active).

Yeah, spont'd Vision spells are tough. You are grounded enough in Magic Theory to know this, so if you want to shoot for Touch, Concentration, Ind for InVi 5, I'll give it to you for this roll, and then you could actually roll up to Duration Sun, for example, and thus be able to see this particularly boundary until sundown (it's still mid-morning). (Amos didn't roll his own dice, but this is basically duplicated effort).

Regardless, between Cygna and Amos, you throw enough magic to be able to see the regio boundary for Dur:Sun. The path through looks simple enough, just crawl through the hole.

Still active? She was lost at Las Navas De Tolosa, which was 16 July 1212, and now it is early Spring (what date is that, anyway? April 21st?). Anything on the list for Months or Years would still count as an AC, though standard limitations for ACs apply. Judging by the list, a maga's sanctum would be chock full of options.

Since I've already spilled the beans elsewhere, should we split the timeline and cover Cersei's lab and bedroom at the same time as you explore the regio you've just discovered?

As a by-product of Cygna's excellent success on her Magic Theory roll, in the Vintners thread, as she is staring into the regio boundary, some strange set of puzzle pieces click into her head, and she realizes that the Vintner's vis may very well be a form of Extraordinary Vis, and that whatever mysterious and unintelligible process is going on in this room, it has a basis in the essential nature of the grapevines themselves -- in other words, the magic wine is probably wine made from the grapes of Vintners.

As the light of discovery shines upon Cygna's face, she hears a voice from behind her whisper, [color=orange]"It took you this long to figure that out? And to think, I actually let you defeat me once. Unthinkable."

Adorjan is back.

Terrence abruptly redirects his attention to Cygna. He approaches her with a purposeful stride, snaps his fingers to gain her attention and says in English, Katerina, you must put him out of your mind.

Awareness roll to see if he notices Cygna's look as she begins an interaction with Adjoran.
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3116044/
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3116053/
Aware 3 + Per 1 +Roll 18=22

D: Sun sounds good.

Cygna looks over her shoulder at the others. [color=red]"It seems the way through to the regio is simply...to crawl through the wall. Anyone mind if I go first, since I'm already down here?" She's almost certain Terrence will mind, but she's going to try to ignore him unless he has a compelling argument.

First day of spring 1213 was March 13. So today (in this thread anyway) would be Thursday March 14.

And I've got a last-ditch-effort idea on how to get the answers we need about the stuff Cersei had been doing...cast Whispers Through the Black Gate and simply ask her...assuming that we have the body somewhere, that it's in relatively good shape, and that Cygna is able to get past Cersei's MR. Which would be a lot easier if she has a really rocking AC.

Okay, so Months category still works.

Oh, yes, I understand completely. If only someone in the covenant knew someone skilled at necromancy! If only there was some powerful necromancer who was politically allied with the covenant. If only there was some trivial, minor, insignificant connection between the PCs and the one Roman magus I've actually named, who has a magic item that skips the need for a body.

Truly, you must be grasping at straws, to think that there is any hope that the SG will let you find what you need to attempt to communicate with Cersei. A last-ditch-effort indeed.

~grins my machiavellian grin~

"No, I don't think it is a good idea." He's beginning to think being full armoured was a bad idea, since trying to outmaneuver Cygna will probably not work out very well. Regardless of the fact, he says, "Move aside, milady, and allow me to do my job." And without waiting for her to respond begins trying to get around and in front of her.

[color=red]"First off," she says without bothering to look over her shoulder, engrossed as she is in checking out the regio boundary, [color=red]"you did not 'let' us defeat you. We worked long and hard to kill you. And second, if you had spent more time teaching me as you were supposed to be doing and less time getting me..." Cygna stops speaking abruptly as she remembers that she's not alone with Adorjan, and kicks herself hard for letting him goad her again. She then mutters angrily for a minute, calling him unsavory names in every language she knows.

(and did anyone else hear Vizzini when Adorjan said "Unthinkable"? :laughing:)

Cygna glares at Terrence for a moment. She hates it when he calls her Katerina...but she also knows that he never accidentally calls her by her mundane name. And they did practically grow up together, so she tends to let it slide.

This is almost (in my mind, anyway) comical to watch, as there is much contorting, grunting, exchanges of "Pardon my..." and "Will you get your foot out of my ..." before they finally exchange places so that Terrence can take point.

As mentioned, the hole is about the size of a barrel. Between Terrance's armor, size, and the shape of the hole, the comedy ensues when Terrance gets stuck.

Ease factor 6 or 9 to push him through, depending on how effective you feel your character would be at getting him unwedged.

facepalm [color=red]"You just had to go first, didn't you?" she says in Latin.

She does a quick mental calculation and realizes that she would have to spont a Lvl 15 ReCo spell to move him back out or forward through the hole (base 5, R: Touch +1, D: Conc +1). She also considers, and dismisses, the idea of asking Viscaria to change the stone to allow Terrence through (or back), as she fears that doing so could possible "damage" the regio boundary.

She looks around at the others (and I just realized, it's just Amos and Viscaria...no one else? No other shield grogs, that I can recall?) with a smirk.

[color=red]"Well...shall we push, or pull?"

(and yes, deep down inside, she's enjoying seeing him pay the price for his overprotectiveness...it's petty and vindictive, but amusing nonetheless)

You hear muffled incomprehensible cursing. Turning his head as far as he can, he yells towards Cygna as loudly as he can, in English, because he can actually hear you smirking ask you ask to push or pull, "Pull, I'll push."

Time gets funny. If this is the after Cygna makes tarts, then Ursula will be standing outside, wanting to be Viscaria's shield grog.

Viscaria has the same concerns. "Push, I guess."

The tart-baking is the next day, I think. (first meeting Wednesday, scouting labs Thursday, baking Friday, next meeting Saturday)

"You mean actually grab him and push?" Amos pales. "I... I don't think I can..."he shivers for a moment and then cocks his head to the side as he thinks. "Terrance, you can still move yourself, right? It's just your armor that's stuck. So if poured enough grease on you'd slip on through. I'll add the grease, unless someone has a better idea. I'll be honest, if I try to help push or pull I'll just get in the way and make it worse."

If no one says anything, he stands to the side of Terrance (as far as he can) and he'll Spont a "Handprint of Slippery Oil" (variation of Footsteps of Slippery Oil) by placing his hand just above the upper regio edge above the shield grog's armor, closing his eyes, and blinking hard. Unflammable grease should begin to well from the handprint of his hand on the wall and drip onto Terrance and begin spreading. However, the dripping is strangely muted and does not ping or splash, but more just quietly thunks. (Level 5, Range: Touch, Duration: Diam, Target: Ind = Creo 9 + Aquam 2 + Stamina 3 + Aura 5 (all I have to do is not botch) 1d10=10 (well, crap); rolling to confirm 1d10=5 (whew) = 19/2 = 9)

Note: if Terrance shifts and bumps into me while Amos is casting it automatically fails. When he's done Amos's slightly labored breathing is the only sign of any strain on him.

"I think it's just his pants," adds Viscaria helpfully. "Amos, if you just reach in there and take off his pants, he should be able to get through and we can give him his pants on the other side."

This works. You now just invented the slip-n-slide. Viscaria dives in headfirst, cheering raucously, and slaloms into Terrance on the other side.

Terrence seems disgusted and he voices his disapproval, "Oil? Can't someone just shrink me or something? I honestly don't think I'm getting out unless the rock gets softer or I get smaller. I'll be here all night waiting for the oil to make me slippery enough to move.

A grunt of disgust, fllowed by even louder cursing and something about magi, heads and stupid books.

Cygna blushes. [color=red]"But...but..." Her voice drops to a whisper. [color=red]"I don't think he's wearing anything under there!" She looks positively mortified.