2.4 - Investigating the Refugees

"You are feeble. You'll get nothing more than you have now. You smelled power, and you let it fall through your pathetic grasp. Your masters must truly be disappointed in you.", said in Latin.
Com 3, +Lead 2+die roll of 6=11
More defense, but no attacks.
Defense total:Qik 0 + SW(4+1) + Wpn (1) +(die roll of 1, so 2* a die roll of 3, 6)=12

Some OCC character observations, Étienne isn't brave, per se. His motivation is that he started congratulating himself for a job well done, and then it promptly fell apart around him. He's trying to salvage what last little bit of it he can, or die trying.

Edit:
OOC(Crap, kinda forgot I was running Abdul Fati, too.) He's continuing to back up Étienne allowing him to manage it as he sees fit. I'm bordering on having him take an opposite approach if Étienne should fall: say a quick prayer to Allah and then order an attack.

In the first round of combat, Azura ports back to the covenant (no Aegis! Yay!) and shouts at the top of her lungs, "DEMON AT THE CAMP! ANYONE KNOW D-E-O?"

Round 3
Maria, seeing that the child not only has a tentacle sprouting from his eye and reaching for the sergeant, Etienne, but also has for all intents and purposes lost his leg as it became a hideous maw.

She will swing at the tentacle.

Attack Roll: 11 + die roll of 8 = 19.

Defence Roll: 13 + Die roll of 9 = 22.

(I like it when Invisible Castle thinks I'm rolling for Fiona)

She will try not to hit the child, but she's of the opinion now that the child's body is lost.

Assuming Cygna hears the alarm, she will run down/out/up/over to where Azura is. [color=red]"I have a decent wand. Where is the camp?"

This is problematic on several levels. First, Azura's Leap was the spell that triggered his attack (it was the first spell cast within the demon's detection range after someone wearing a spell touched him). So, Azura arrives in the covenant at the end of Round 1, and will hear the screams from the camp, along with the rest of the village. For expediency, I'll concede that she can figure out that it must be coming from the camp, but she most certainly cannot know the nature of the foe.

Second, the magi sanctums are all inside the regio. Granted, Cygna has already shown a lot of interest in interacting with the humiliores, but I think it's definitely stretching it to think they'd be able to coordinate within 2 rounds.

That second aspect was a major consideration when I designed this scenario -- while this covenant may have the resources of a winter covenant, it has the protocols and procedures of a Spring covenant.

Etienne's verbal jibes strike as true as Maria's blade. Roll damage for both. (Etienne's verbal attack does +Presence damage).

"Fools! Soon you will learn! I'll feast upon your souls, grow stronger upon your magic, and then they'll all know who I am!"

A tentacle wraps around Etienne's torso. His tunic fades from the brilliant sky blue of Azura's Doublet of Impenetrable Silk back to its original color. Etienne is still grappled, but otherwise takes no damage this round. Any other magics active on Etienne right now?

Another tentacle sprouts out of the boys right arm, a heartbeat after the first tentacle grapples Etienne.

Étienne's damage is Pre 1 + die roll of 6=7.
No other active magics.

Will Étienne be able to swing his sword at all next round?

About the covenant activity, Ra'am and family are probably still on the Cijara side. Since he's without sanctum and has only begun designing it, it is unlikely he's left the guest quarters. Getting there is going to be the big trick for Ra'am.

Okay, so no go on the d.e.o. wand, then. Back to trying to corral the renegade plant-desk-thing. Now...where would Cersei have kept the Miracle-Gro?

Doesn't the sword do 6 plus the attack advantage?

Unless you're going to say that Cygna carries it on her usually... and I'm not saying you can't be summoned at all. Just that it will take a few rounds, given the lack of guards, etc. Hrm. On the other hand, the grapevine grows on both sides....

Where does Azura arrive at, exactly?

Cersei's Miracle Gro is probably in a large barrel in her lab. :slight_smile:

Yes, but I don't want you to know how much that was.

See MRB 174 for rules on Grappling. You can attempt to escape, but that's pretty much it.

I concur that it is logical for Ra'am to be on the Cijara side. Waiting for Arya to say exactly where Azura arrived to determine how quickly Ra'am can meet up with her.

It seems like the combat is about to begin round 4 while the covenant is still at Round 1-ish.

Round 4 actions
Étienne will attempt to escape, and continue his tongue lashing.
"It would appear that you have the only the power of the child who's body you stole. How pathetic. My soul will be safe."

Attempt to free from grapple: SW 4+1 + Wpn 4 + die roll of 2=11
If taunting is still possible:
Attack: Com 3 + Leadership 2 +die roll of 6=11
Possible Dmg: Pre 1 + die roll of 3=4

Abdul Fati will also attack a tentacle that has ensnared Étienne.
Attack: Dex 1+SW 8 + Wpn 4 +die roll of 3=14
Defense: Qik 1 + SW 8 +Wpn 1 + die roll of 7=17

I pictured it as being with her, in her robes (don't they have a sleeve pocket or something for things like that?); both her character sheet and the library magic items listing have it as with her.

So, I'm guessing that means you want me to roll a stress die (no botch) plus the damage modifier for her sword, then? If so: die roll of 9 + 6 = 15.

Are we doing damage from weapons different than RAW?
RAW Damage from weapons is: Strength+Weapon Damage Modifier +Attack Advantage. The randomness of the damage is already included in the attack total.

Damage from spells or supernatural effects, such as the taunting in this case, is typically a base amount + stress die.

This is my first ArM combat. Please bear with me as I fumble through the mechanics, and correct me (as you have done) whenever necessary.

So the sword should be doing 6 + attack advantage? Could you spell that out for me? Where does the 6 come from?

Cool then.

Azura would have picked a spot out of the way of common traffic, but centrally located for convenience.

I think I mentioned picking up a phial of soil but I don't remember where.

Page 176, theres a table of the weapons and the base damage they cause.

And we don't add strength to that cuz it is already part of the attack advantage?

I guess I didn't answer your question completely, I just indicated where the +6 came from. Check the combat totals on page 171.

Damage= str+ base damage for the weapon + attack advantage.
In mundane combat the only rolls are during attack and defense, and everything else is derived from those totals.

Still waiting on Round 4 declarations.

What kind of effect did Maria's sword have on the tentacle?

Oops. Forgot that, huh?

Maria neatly slices the tentacle off about midway through. The severed part instantly disintegrates into a foul goo, which smokes slightly.

Round Four

Maria, now that the tentacle has been at least partially neutralized, will swing at the thing's foot-maw.

Attack Roll: 11 + die roll of 0. Check for botch comes up a 4. So, an Attack Total of 11. Which kinda sucks.

Defence Roll: 13 + die roll of 5 = 18.