5th Edition Problems

"We have managed to get away from the whole "Death by papercuts" problem from earlier versions"

I and my group find this to be as seriously BAD problem with the new game.

I've had characters repeatedly suffer very minor wounds that all add up in this game to be lethal by themselves without ever having had the character suffer a major wound, literally coming close to dying from being paper cut to death.

Light wound... light wound... light wound.. light wound.. light wound... etc... then the next roll results in death? After cutting his fingertips on parchment about 6 times. he cuts the 7th digit[metaphorically speaking] and dies? Because the minuses to his soak are so horrid that suddenly he goes over the line and dies?

The game really does need a fairly set number of each kind of wound level like previous editions. Eventually the character really should just run out of options at a certain level, and push past it into deeper danger. It can get ridiculous right now as is.

Which only goes to show that YMMV - we think it is the best feature of 5th ed. combat, and in fact the edition in generel.

Well even though calling minor wounds paper cuts - the haemorage from several small wounds is as deadly as from one larger gash. In any instance the rules do not let you die from anything but a deadly wound.

I am under the impression that the soak is not penalised from wounds. But I cannot find a reference to it. Only that it doesnt count against recovery rolls or that fatigue does count against regular soaking.

Use the 'Activities While Injured' and most often their wounds will deterioate and you wont have that problem. Moreso I add Fatigue rolls to that - not as vigorous as in 4th but if a character get wounds, and the more he gets, he'll need Stamina rolls to stay conscious. And since Fatigue is never except from the Wound penalties this is an ever faster road to unconsciousness. And to deeper danger...

The rules are not entirely clear on this point. Page 178 under "Wounds" says that "The character suffers a penalty to all actions (rolls and totals) equal to the sum of all penalties due to his wonunds..." A "Soak Total" is a character's Stamina + Armor bonus, so one might think the Wound Penalties apply to it, but on page 172, in the Simple Example, penultimate paragraph, it says "note that Polandrus' Wound Penalty does not apply to Soak because Soak is not rolled". Also on page 178, under Fatigue, second paragraph, it says, "Fatigued characters must apply the relevant penalty to all rolls, including further Fatigue tests, but not to Soak attempts." One would presume the Fatigue and Wound penalties should be handled uniformly.

This is the correct rule and the line about Wound Penalities affecting "actions and totals" means things that require a die roll and lab totals, study totals, and other seasonal totals, but not Soak Totals because this would cause character to be twice penalized for their Wounds.

I have it on good authority that Mr. Gronsky will be adding an explanation to the FAQ to address this very issue.

Opposed Athletics rolls (remember that e.g. some animals do get a bonus for rolls related to running), allowing for Fatigue expenditure in the same way as combat does. Require a number of successful contests based on the distance between the parties (e.g. Reach/Near/Far/Sight, to use ArM4 ranges).

Depends on whether he makes the roll for the difficulty you assign. You can rule that some jumps are impossible, or Myth it up. Again, some animals get bonuses for jumping.

I don't know if you gain much from knowing that the gap you're trying to jump is exactly 6.37m rather than from knowing it should be a hard jump.

Thanks John.

I run it as you dscribed but as I was writing my post late last night I couldnt find the RAW reference and I didnt think to look at the Examples to find the rules. Your and Gronsky/SirGarlon both made apparent the lacking clarity in the RAW - I hadn't realised it before, even if playing it as intended.