A birth in Lesi

Julia sighs, looks around in contemplation, then crosses the rooftop garden to sit some distance from her companions, but close to a decorative tree that could provide some cover if necessary. She then seems to rapidly absorb herself in a book.

the men go into the front of the inn, and you hear raised voices below, followed by the sounds of boots coming up the stairs.

Archimedes glances at the edge of the rooftop, apparently considering jumping off. He mutters, "No time." He steps away from the bench, walking to the seating spot closest toward the door, saying quietly, and quickly, in Latin, "That bag is everything. I can't get away safely. I will go to the south entrance to town every dawn." He sits as near as possible to the head of the roof entrance, looking up at the stars, as if he was making observations without tools.

From the stairs you hear a response in Latin "Why would the bag be everything? I assumed, from your claims at the gate and the guard's description that you were also Gifted, now I discover you are also fluent in Latin. Believe me, if I were your enemy, I would have brought more soldiers, these two serve merely to guard my person."

Archimedes freezes. Silent for a moment, possibilities whirling through his head. After a pause, he says, in Latin, "My compliments on your excellent hearing. You are a learned man, then. I sit here, quite at your mercy, an errant traveller who carries his world with him."

While they are shouting through the door, Marcus moves the bag over to Julia. «Pst. Will you take care of this for Archimedes?» he whispers.
Then he returns towards the middle of the roof top, to watch the situation develop.

Taliha

Seeing that Julia took her advice, sort of, Taliha rejoins the others but then Archimedes moves towards the door and Marcus runs over to Julia. Taliha wishes she could hear all that's being said but decides not to transform though it would improve her hearing... not to mention she often feels more comfortable as her heartbeast. Turning to Marcus when he returns she says rather loudly, both for Marcus' benefit and Archimedes and, perhaps, the man in the stairs, "Perhaps if they came up to discuss whatever this is face to face rather and speaking around a corner and through walls?"

the man cocks his head to one side and continues the conversation in Latin "You are not bothered by me, which means either you, like myself, are blessed to be unaffected by the same Gift which plagues us, or you are of that order which has developed protections from its effects. While I am interested in which is the case, my greater question is obviously what your interest is in the queen and her son." he sits down a short distance from you, then sees your other companions and laughs "It would appear that we have three wise men, well three wise persons, who have come to visit the infant king."

The distance is such that Marcus does not hear much, but he moves a few paces closer and makes his best effort not to look confused and pretend to listen.

Taliha

Amused at the mention of "three wise persons" Taliha steps forward with Marcus but merely continues listening.

Archimedes glances sideways at the other two, seeing that they have joined him he smiles a little, and shrugs slightly.

He says, "In truth I was just curious about the occasion of the birth, not so much in the queen or the future king themselves. It was an auspicious day for the birth of a sovereign, and I wondered what other portents there might be. Since I was turned away at the gate, I gave up on the idea of hearing a direct account, or doing a horoscope on the child's behalf. The affairs of royalty are far beyond me, something to look on from a distance with a scholar's interest, no more."

The stranger looks as the three of you gather, Then turns to the guards and whispers to them. They seem derisive but answer quietly. "Indeed, I had observed earlier the possibility of your belonging to a certain order, and further evidence suggests that there are three of you with such membership. I hope this is the case, because if it is so then my bretheren and I have an... offer of alliance of sorts, which might interest you. On behalf of ourselves as a member o a different mystical order, you understand, not on behalf of the crown." he watches you expectantly.

Marcus' expression sours. He could not make out the words, but he could certainly see the disapproving reaction of the strangers. He does not speak, though, but looks to Archimedes for guidance. He probably understood more of what is going on.

Archimedes gets a quizzical look on his face, not entirely sure what the man is talking about.

"There is an order you might be referring to, though they are very careful about alliances or involving themselves in the affairs of the world. They tend to find that others of a magical bent are not always friendly, so they have learned to be cautious. I am not entirely sure which other order you refer to, could you be more clear?"

Picking up a few fragments about the Order and an order, Marcus draws closer. This might actually involve himself, so he'll make another attempt to hear something. He places himself behind Archimedes' right shoulder, arms crossed, facing the strangers. He can usually hear a bit better if he can see the face.

"The Order of Hermes has restrictions they follow, barring themselves from participating in mundane politics. the group I represent, well, really just our own faction of the mystical group, similar to a coven for folk witches or a covenant for the hermetics, we are involved in politics, as court wizards. as such we need to stay near the centers of power, capital cities and such. So when our principle has authority over land, especially land which is about to become more flexible in its usage due to the political situation, and our information suggests that land has a strong aura, we can't exactly relocate ourselves to take advantage of it. however, if a group of these hermetic mages were to be willing to form a pact, one where they would prevent the influence of other magical groups that would impede our success, but without violating their oath to not interfere in mundane affairs, we could arrange for that land to fall into their possession."

A light of avarice suddenly glimmers in Archimedes' eyes.

"That is... a very interesting suggestion. The magi would need to know more; regarding what sort of other groups you think will impede your success, and what you want them to do in defense; and other details regarding the site and access, but I think they could work something out that would satisfy everyone." He looks to his right and left, to see if his fellows agree.

«Court Wizards?» Marcus says with surprise, «in this day and age?» His face shouts disbelief. «And how would such arrangement be kept above board?» He pauses and shakes it off. «Sorry, I do not mean to be hostile, and I am not one to reject an opportunity based on a first impression, so please, let's hear more.»

Taliha

"Yes, I would also like to hear more," Taliha says with a wry smile. "It seems an intriguing proposal though there are definitely limits to how we might be able to help you."

[EDIT:] Then turning to Archimedes, "though if this aligns with your ideas then the site may be further south than we were speaking intialy... considering where Sicily is."

Archimedes looks sideways at Taliha for a moment and shrugs. "I don't really have a preference, I was just going to look in the last unsettled areas."

Then he turns back to the man and smiles. "I am Archimedes. It sounds as if we would all like to hear more."

Taliha

"Oh, where are my manners? I'm Taliha Fanak."