A Covenant of Dopplegangers (Summer 1236)

[color=pink]Barcelona might have supported the idea of a new tribunal back in 1220, but the portal resolution in Iberia puts them square at the heart of politics and influence in that Tribunal. As for the other idea, a merger, don't let yourself get fooled. It will end up being no merger honey. It would be a takeover. There, I said it.

"Well...of course." Frederika blinked, innocently matter-of-fact. "The only mergers I know of that weren't just take-overs have been because both sides were so decimated that they needed the merger just to survive."

Draining her cup, she lowered her voice conspiratorially and leant in - cheeks becoming a little flush: "Doesn't proposing a merger just mean you're not confident in your ability to remain, you know, yourselves..?"

"That was my read on it as well. Barcelona might not support a new tribunal, provencal and those who have been lessened by Barcelona's rise may well support it. What I fear most is that proposing it at the Grand Tribunal may bring the question of which tribunal we are in to a point where it must be decided. Right now I would expect we would be placed with Iberia. If the choice we are being given is to risk being taken into the Iberian tribunal or swallowing your covenant into our own... I'm afraid I would have to suggest we swallow." Fleur's lips only turned up a little bit at her double entendre, since she had no idea what exactly they would be swallowing, aside from whatever drama there was between Vulcan and Vibria.

You've just ruined Arachné's day.
Oh great, she mumbles under her breath. This just gets better and better...

Ruining my day, but hopefully making someone else miserable, says Arachné sourly

This. Anything else would be trouble without end. And it would also provide us with another backup besides Sa Dragonera.

I'd prefer you to retain your independance. Though I understand your concerns and situation.
Like my sodales, I fear that pushing for a new tribunal would take years, and could backfire badly on us. So I'd favor you becoming a chapterhouse of andorra, which does not preclude trying to form a tribunal in the future.
There's the question, though: If you can't support yourselves, how much of a drain would you be on our ressources? I fear (and she send a sideglance at vulcanus) that taking you under our wings may bring more trouble than it's worth.

The door to the dining hall is flung open, and in strides a tall, impossibly well-endowed woman with long chestnut hair, with gold-trimmed green Hermetic robes that fit a little too well. She bears a remarkable resemblance to Vibria...in fact, it might be her, as she never did say just where she was going when she left, only that she would be traveling with her grandfather.

[color=red]"I hope I'm not too late. I absolutely lost all track of time in the laboratory. You know how it is." She looks over the food laid out on the sideboard, but stops when she reaches Acutus.

[color=red]"Hello, sweetie," she says with a smile.

Like many of those in attendance, Acutus' eyes were drawn first to the boisterous entrance, and then to the...assets of the newest guest. By the time she reached him, Acutus had regained his composure and returned her smile, "Vibria, is that you? It's good to see you, I...we were wondering when you'd come back."

The brunette's smile falters for a fraction of a moment, but just as quickly returns to its former glory. [color=red]"I'm sorry, but you somehow seem to have me mistaken for someone else. I am Guiverna ex Miscellanea." She extends a hand for Acutus to kiss. [color=red]"A pleasure to meet you. And, I must say, if you're of Andorra, I truly look forward to joining with you."

Acutus offers a friendly smile at the compliment while considering whether the double entendre was intended, "My apologies; for just a moment, you seemed to resemble one of my sodales." He gently takes her hand and kisses it as his one good eye looks up into hers, "I am Acutus of Bjornaer, and it is my pleasure to meet you Guiverna."

With everyone chit-chattering, Carmen has to shout to get attention. Maybe a thunderclap.
BOOM
Attention everyone!
To our hosts and friends, I wish to say thanks for a great time. But I am sorry to say I do not favor your plans. A new Tribunal was my father's dream, a pipe dream. I don't think it would work, and I agree with others that it may draw uncomfortable attention to our status.
As for a merger, I say the nay. The agreement my father signed with you was intended to provide shelter of last resort. This is not to be your new home. I would much rather provide you with the assistance needed to rebuild a new sustainable site located somewhere outside the borders of Andorra.

Solomon first raises and eyebrow, and then frowns slightly at Carmen's theatrics. Once she finishes providing her opinion, Solomon nods to her, "Carmen, I for one am willing to at least hear more of this proposal to form a new tribunal."

He then turns to Valgravian, "Archmagus, have you spoken to to anyone at Barcelona? Do you have any reason to believe they might be interested in such a proposal?"

"Why exactly is here no good anyway?" Frederika picks at her teeth, between snacks. "Lack of vis I presume? The land itself shouldn't be a problem unless there's something lurking around here that can't be excised?"

Guiverna opens her mouth to speak, but starts when Carmen unleashes her thunderclap. Her smile turns to a frown (or is it a pout?) when Carmen unilaterally dismisses both the possibility of a new tribunal and the proposal that Bellaquin become a chapter house of Andorra out of hand.

[color=red]"Pardon my ignorance, Carmen, I haven't read Andorra's charter. But isn't what we ask something that should be discussed by and voted on the council of magi and not decided by the whim of its oldest member?"

Everyone keep in mind that when I speak as Carmen, it is not the voice of the SG. When she is a PC, I do my mest to submit to the authority of whomever is SG at the moment. If I am SG, then Carmen is an NPC and speaks based on her personality and in-game knowledge.
And so with that...

Fredrika, you are new so you don't understand our legal situation. Andorra is unique, both in temporal and arcane politics. As a principality, it has thus far avoided submitting to any feudal authority. It is the only land I know of where the common individual is free born and soverign. In Hermetic law, we are the sole remaining vestige of the old Val-Negra tribunal to have not been redistricted. There are those who wish to push us into deciding for Provencal or Iberia. However, there are others, who have greater influence, that prefer our unique "outside" status.
Now, as to what is it that constitutes our covenant, our own charter states that it is the whole of Andorra. Not just the keep at Arans. The whole entire land. This property here, where the Bellaquin magi reside. It is ours, this is our property. How can we make a chapter out of what is already part of our covenant?
I call it out for what it is. A thinly veiled attempt at a takeover. Bellaquin is still a part of Provencal. Merging our covenants would inexorably draw us into that Tribunal.
Solomon. If you wish to discuss new tribunal ideas, be my guest. I am not opposed to the idea. I just don't think it would work, and I think it might stir up more problems than it is worth. Barcelona would never go for it. Not anymore. You are the one that hammered out arrangements that made them the center of Iberian politics. As a word of caution, I do think Barcelona is on the verge of collapsing under the weight of countless calamities unless radical action is soon undertaken. I have discussed the matter at length with Vocis, and I agree with his conclusion. Erat Cacus must die.
And then you, miss Guienwhatever. I don't know where you get off talking smack about how politics in our covenant work. Just who do you think you are? Are you a Vibria clone or an Arachne copy? I don't get it. This is all to freaky and I suspect some trickery afoot intended to unsettle us and make us easilly influence.

So what gives. Archmagus Valgravian. What are you up to for real?

There is a general sense of awkwardness after Carmen's outburst. Pinky (Fleaur's new friend, I forgot what I named him so I will call him Pinky from now on). Yep. Pinky breaks the silence by saying [color=pink]Awwww snap...
Woman don't play no games. Hmmm?

Fleur turns to pinky and says "I suspect she is quite good at chess."

Guiverna opens her mouth to speak, then snaps it shut before she closes her eyes and takes ten deep, slow breaths.

When she opens her eyes, she glares at Carmen. [color=red]"I was not 'talking smack' about how politics is done in Andorra," she says coldly. [color=red]"I simply had a question about how our petitions would be addressed."

Carmen smiles and puts her most charming bitchface on. It is not your place to inquire.
Archmagus, please forgive me for I have been rude. I have been under a lot of stress. And you must admit that this "doppleganger" effect is certainly strange. But if you would please excuse, I would like to step outside and have a conference with the Andorran Masters. Arachne, Solomn, Vocis. If you would please...

Solomon nods and steps outside with the other masters and provides Carmen with a questioning look.

The crone nods
Of course. This situation is quite unsettling and we'd best discuss it privately.

I aologize for my outburst in there. But I beieve what I said and further I suspect the manipuation of Archmagi towards some cryptic goal. Valgravian, Constantius, Pietro, and my father Antonio. This deal where these guys lease our property, my father set it up decades ago. It is in his journals. He did have ideas of forming a Tribunal, which is why I will not oppose that idea. I just think times have changed and it isn't such a good idea anymore.
Merging covenants? I am dead flat opposed to that. We will get taken over by duplicants.
And speaking of which, that is all just too freaky, and I want to scratch that bitch's eyes out.
You know what? This is all my father's fault. He abused his powers as Pontifex, for a Pontifex has more power than we realize. Our charter, I do have a copy in a vault, I will show it to you.
And I am elevating the three of you in rank. I hold the title of Pontifex Maximus, Arachne shall be Pontifex Majore, for she long resided here before joining (and Fixer is the longest player). Solomon and Vocis shall be Pontifici Minore.
My father's past actions and the questions raised tonight have demonstrated to me that the power is to great a burden to be responsibly handled by one or two. It shall be a High Council.