A new game, a new covenant

The DEO-issue has been mentoned already, so that only leaves:

There's nothing written in any rulebook that I can recall that forbid this but it still leaves me with a bad feeling.
Parma Magica is the greatest treasure (and thus secret) of the Order and our own apprentices are taught this secret only opun swearing to the Code.
Personally I'd be a bit antsy about writing something like that down - and if I did, I'd probably ward to book 3 ways from monday.

With Parma Magica, how then do you increase your skill level in this (important) Ability? Are you assuming the only way for Hermetic Magi to increase their Parma is to be taught by parens or older Magi, or are they just contantly practicing it to learn by experience?

My feeling with Bonisagus is that having come up with this magical breakthrough, then he would write it down. And perhaps learning the first level of Parma is the equivalent of an Outer Mystery or initiation to the Cult of the Order of Hermes, and must be done in person, but subsequent learning of Parma for levels 2+ would be something where the Founders notes and theories would be of great use throughout the Order.

SJE

Practice, some teaching but mostly practice (and story XPs).

If that works for you go with it! :slight_smile:
We just got a quesy feeling so decided otherwise but there's no reason you should as well!

Serfs Parma, but those do not look right.

First, all those items look like they were created as lesser enchanted items, and I think Vis capacity only matters for greater items. In those cases, you care about how much where you care about how much space you have to install additional effects.

Second, which invisibility do you want the cloak to have, the type that lasts until you move or the type that works while moving? If it is invisibility of the standing wizard, it would be base 15, with a +2 difficulty for being usable 3 times a day, for a total level of 17. If it is Veil of Invisibility, it starts with a base of 20, and then has +2 difficulty for up to three uses per day for a final level of 22. Note, if you want the redcap to be able to switch from invisible to visible at will and you are using Veil of Invisibility as the base, you want to change the duration to concentration and have the item maintain concentration.

Third, the Doublet of Inpenetrable Silk effect should have a range of personal, since the item is effecting itself, not something that it touches. Then you add +1 level for 2 uses a day and +3 for enviromental trigger for a constant effect and a final level of 14.

The only issue with Parma Magica that I can see is that you're providing significantly impressive protection to all of the magi. You'll have to ramp up any magical/external enemies to make them worry if they're all running around with Magic Resistance of 25.

• Form score - probably closer to 30+

Would you recommend a level 3 Summa instead? I'm thinking that spending seasons to increase Parma is going to be a time sink in the short term thats going to draw them away from increasing their own magic or dealing with crises?

If it draws them away from dealing with a crisis it was never a crisis in the first place, merely an inconvenience :smiling_imp:
Also: stories provide story XPs! An excellent source of XPs for Parma Magica I find.

There is a story seed or insert relating to Parma Magica in written form , just cannot find it , atm.
My vague recall is that all Parma Magica Tractatus and Summae are kept strict track of.
If one was being delivered to your Covenant and went missing , investigators would soon arrive.

There is a record kept of all copies and where they are at any one time , was my impression.

The story seed you're thinking of is probably "The Belligerent Benedictines" on page 12 of HoH:TL, in the section on the Tenentes Occultorum. I can't see anything saying that the Tenentes try to keep track of all Parma Magica books, though, although they'd be obvious people to get involved if one was lost.

First session -

The Magi (Sister Mahult ex Jerbiton, Marcus ex Guernicus, Helena of Mercere and Robert Whiterook ex Merinata (and his wife Matilda) met in the Council chambers of Milton Chantry to form a Covenant. Adopting the Arae Flaviae Oath (atlas-games.com/pdf_storage/ ... ntOath.pdf) they make the following decisions:

:Sister Mahult is appointed as Disceptator for the next 7 years. She has the duty of calling Council meetings to order, casting the deciding vote and upholding and enforcing the Councils decisions.
: Marcus Guernicus is to be Treasurer (responsible also for Vis storage) and Magical security. On him will rest the responsibility of casting Aegis of the Hearth, for which he will have to build a lab to quickly learn the spell. He is plagued by the ghost of a 107 year old drunken Tremere who still demands money for drink.
: Robert Whitecloak is Librarian, entrusted with the Covenants few books. Chief amongst them is the Parma Fabulae Summa, whose knowledge is forbidden to any who have not sworn the Hermetic Oath. It is to be locked in a stout chest within the chantry, until the library can be better secured.

They then make the following interviews and appointments:

The lands of the manor (gifted to Robert Whitecloak by King John II 6 months before his death ("Wasnt my fault" was Andy's claim) lack a reeve. Sister Mahult resolves to recruit one. She has an eye on an ambitious younger son of nobility and chooses Harold Cornishman, third son of the Sheriff of Cornwall, a young and ambitious man who knows his letters.

The Chantry lacks grogs and physical security. Sir Frederick Barfleur (Andys companion - a crusader knight) as Castellan, though the good knight is quite put off by the strange and spooky Quaistor and almost refuses the position, so unnerved is he.

As Autocrat and Administrator, the Benedictine scholar Gregory Oakwood is much more keen to take the post, if he cant study and learn from the Magi, though they mention he is forbidden from reading the Parma Fabulae. He is happy to teach them too. As he will continue teaching in Oxford one season in 4, he will need a deputy and a clerk, Martin of Londontown is procured to learn the role from him

Herr Doktor von Pimm is retained as lawyer, and John Durham (a great physician, rumoured to have studied with Moors), continues as Healer and chief of the hospital.

This first meeting see's some tension between the 3 Magi -Robert is carefree and easily bored- eager to explore a nearby faerie wood, whilst Sister Mahult is convinced of her righteous ways and demanding of strict Christian behaviour. The Quasitor grows impatient with the failings of others and reminds any who visit London to clear any contact with the Nobility with the council first.

Spring 1220.

In this season, Sister Mahult goes shopping in London - acquiring lab equipment, interviewing potential reeves, buying mundane scribing supplies and books, she also resides with her wealthy parents (though her mother is growing old - nearly 54, she does not have long left) and threatening to return from the Convent to reside with them. Sister Mahult resolves to impress her new Covenant mates by finding a magical book for the threadbare Library in Milton Chantry. To this end, she spends a month talking with book sellers and scholars, enquiring after books of the esoteric. Warned that she should not delve into the affairs of wizards and warlocks (as her Gentle Gift means she can pass as non-Magi), she promises she is only looking for magical books so that she can burn them. One scholar knows of a man who bought the estate of a diabolist - perhaps there is something there? Indeed there is- a large, black leather bound tome with black organgey-pink parchment within. Mahult tries Intellego Animal. Only to learn that this is not Animal. A IntellegoCorpus spont, 2 minutes later reveals this to be the skin of Harry of Northumbria who was killed and skinned by a wicked man 40 years ago. And he definately hasnt had a Christian burial. And the blank pages? Intellego Vim seems to indicate the writings have been hidden....

Robert and Matilda Whiterook decide to go investigate the Faerie Forest (Aura 2), 12 miles away. Though they are warned by locals of the Big Bad Wolf within, they blithely ignore it and camp there overnight. Shortly followed by the howling and the hunting, the screaming and the running, the fleeing and climbing up a tree as a great, shaggy grey wolf paces beneath the elm to which they have surmounted. "COME down little Magi, for you smell tasty! Or send down your mate, so I can eat her from bootheel to the crown of her hair! - Come down or I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll blow your tree down!"

Robert responds by firing a Piercing Shaft of Wood at the wolf, but the barben elm arrow bounces off the wolfs thick hide. Unnable to escape, the couple shiver and starve up the elm tree as it the wolf shakes and claws at the trunk below, unnable to ascend. After a few days, Sunday comes round and the sounds of Church bells sends the wolf howling off into the forest.
Returning to Gravesend, Robert reports what has happened. Marcus (bored with setting up his laboratory for most of the season) is outraged that a Fae creature should 'tree' a Hermetic Magus for so long, and resolves to teach the Big Bad Wolf to respect the might of Hermetic Magi. Leaving Matilda behind, Robert and Marcus venture back into the wood, Marcus keen sense of InVi smell leading them into a Level 4 regio, a summery wood of flowering Bluebells and birdsong.

Marcus senses an approaching presence and demands it apologise for so assaulting a Magus of the Order of Hermes. The Big Bad Wolf (known to some as Tarlan) accuses the Merinata of tresspass and smelling tasty. "That doesnt sound like an apology to me!" declares the Quasitor and blasts it with a multicast PeVi Fae Might Ripper. The tearing magic bounces, and Roberts Trap of Entwinning Vines fails too as the Creo'd vines part before the great grey wolf. Tarlan Huffs and he Puffs, and a great blast of air sends leaves and bluebells and Robert flying head over-heels and into an oak with a terrible CRACK! (Medium wound). Marcus sets himself against the wind and his mighty Parma allows him to withstand the gale.

Drawing his magic sword, he parries a bite from the lunging wolf, and then strikes a mighty blow on the Faerie wolf, its flesh hissing and dissolving at the touch of the Magi's iron blade (medium wound). Howling in pain, Tarlan flees deeper into the regio. With Robert injured and limping, Marcus decides that the honour of the Order has been upheld and this uppity Fae has been taught to respect the true power of a Hermetic Magi.

With that, they limp back to Milton Chantry, glad of the on-site hospital to care for the Merinata who really didnt waste any time in poking the Faeries....

:mrgreen:

Summer 1220

Our 4 player (and 5th Magi), the Jerbiton Hugh de Neville joins the Covenant and is promptly made Treasurer. In an effort to improve local relations, he visits the local Lord Robert of Gravesend accompanied by the Companion Sir Frederick de Barfleur.
Lord Robert is married to Lady Margaret and has a 15 year old daughter, the beautiful Isolde. He is a typical noble, dismissive of the peasants (especially the townsfolk of Gravesend who are 'uppity' in their desire to get a Charter) and an ex-Crusader. When Frederick recalls the horrors of the 5th Crusade, Lord Robert is dismissive of such 'wetness' when it comes to slaughtering the Moor.

Lord Robert enquires of Hugh de Neville as to the nature of this Covenant in the Chantry (he seems barely aware of the Order of Hermes) and offers to help out the 'religious scholars' by sending his reeve to get an honest days labour out of their lazy peasants. Anxious to curry favour with Lord Robert, Hugh de Neville agrees to this request. After all, as Lord Robert says "There can only be one lord in these lands, best not to confuse their simple minds".
Having pacified Lord Robert, Hugh invites him to a Midsummer party to be held at Milton Chantry. Lord Robert assures him that the local nobility (his extended family) will attend.

A week or two passes, and the Covenants own Reeve, Harold Cornishmen tentatively approaches the Magi to report that some of the feudal tithe they normally expect is missing. Particularly the eggs for their breakfast. Checking on of the two nearby hamlets, Hugh de Neville, Sir Barfleur and George the Grog discover that Lord Roberts unpleasant Reeve has been whipping the peasants to "Get a good days work out of these SLOW and LAZY serfs" (directed at the peasants gathered in the hamlet green).

Hugh remonstrates that they dont need his services any more, but the Reeve responds that he is "doing his duty to Lord Robert, who wont be pleased if he's sent back. Not pleased at all"

George responds a bit more physically than the Magus with a "Naw, mate, its you wot durnt unnerstan" and headbutts the reeve, who goes rolling back, head over heels. Anxious to stop a diplomatic incident, Hugh de Neville neuralyses him with Loss of But a Moment's Memory (PeMe 15) and explains to the confused Reeve that he fell and hit his head, and wouldnt he quite like to come to the hospital with Hugh?

London-towner George and Sir Frederick then patrol the other hamlet to hear of what other depredations Lord Roberts goons have been up to. They pick up a rumour that a whole farmhouse has vanished out east, towards the woods.

Deciding to investigate, the duo come across a green grass field, strewn with grey rocks and thatch. A blurred outline of foundations hint that this might once have been a dwelling a week ago. A stranger is already hear, poking through the rock-strewn grass. He is Edward Doddson, a hunter, who has followed large wolf-tracks from the faerie forest to the east. Wolf tracks and a house blown down make Sir Frederick wonder about Tarlan the Big Bad Wolf, whom the Magi had tussled with in the Spring.

Joining forces (as Edward is a new Companion), they track the wolf tracks- but to their horror the tracks dont return to the Faerie wood, but instead head directly for Milton Chantry and the outlying hamlets! And without an Aegis around the Chantry, then perhaps too the new Covenant will be Huff'd and Puff'd till all its bricks fall down too!

Racing after it, they spot Tarlan approaching one of the hamlets. Shouting to attract its attention, the great, grey Faerie Wolf turns and addresses them "FOOLISH Men, you challenge me? I will rip the meat from your bones and suck the marrow from your cracked ribs!"

"Oi! Wolfie! You are a rug!" shouts the ever impertinent George. Tarlan launches at George, but botches, his leap turning into an undignified roll at the Grog. George slices at it with an axe, as Sir Frederick charges in with a vicious cut and Edward sinks an arrow into the beast.

Tarlan orientates himself and Huffs and Puffs at the 3 men. Sir Frederick, atop his horse, battles through the gale, while George is sent sprawling against a rock for a medium wound and Doddson is sent head over heels in a cartwheel that lands in a SMAK-THUMP- shattering his arm against a wall.

Despite Tarlans wounds it rolls away from Sir Fredericks assault, and claws across Georges arm, drawing blood. Despite his wounds, George brings up his axe, sunlight flashing from it as it arcs up and down, beheading the Big Bad Wolf! Sparkling dust whoosh out from neck of the creature and coat the grass.

The Magi are summoned and are delighted to discover 4 pawns of Auram vis in the lungs of the Faerie. The Merinata Robert Whiterook is particularly delighted by the thought that he can now plumb the depths of the Faerie Regio in the wood without danger. The injured men have Purification of the Festering Wound cast on them and are taken to the Hospital for recovery.

Next full moon, a curious howling is heard from within the Hospital. Hugh de Neville and Robert Whiterook come barelling into the hospital ward in which Edward and George are being treated. They see the grog George atop his bed and on all fours - his back bent to snapping point and hair growing out of all pores at a visible rate. He howls the deep, dark howl of the wild - more lupine than man, visibly transforming into a wold. Quickly Calling him to Slumber, the two Magi evacuate the ward and have the door boarded up. A nun asks what is happening and absent-minded Robert tells her its a case of Lycanthropy, possibly brought on by the claws of the Faerie Wolf. Before she can go biblical in her denunciations, a quick thinking Hugh de Neville neuralyses her and then uses a spontaneous Muto Imaginem to turn the howls of a werewolf into the loud snores of a sleeping man.

Next morning, George wakes in a torn up ward, his bedding shredded and his blanket stained a dark yellow. He's naked, but feels great, full of energy, his only wound the great claw marks on his arm, now all healed. "Hello" says a voice from 10 feet above. Its Robert Whiterook peering in from the high window to the room. "Why are you talking to me from a ladder?" asks George.
"Well you are a werewolf"
"I'm bloody what? I wasnt before I started working here!"
"Dont worry, I'm sure we can find a way to fix you
" promises Whiterook.

And with a relatively successful Summer behind them, the Covenant have a mid-summer party. Lord Roberts family visit the Chantry, the unpleasantness over kicking out the grasping reeve is smoothed over by Hugh's charm. Marcus gets to sit in the corner and be scary-creepy (The non-Gentle Gift at work) and everyone is threatened by more of Matildas haphazard approch to cooking - sparrows stuffed with pine-needle compote. Hugh males a pass at Isolde, but winds up being slapped when he offers to show her his secret Sanctum. Fortunately, her father never finds out.

And with that, people settle down for the rest of the year-

Mahult spends this season and next building her lab. She keeps the skin-bound book of the diabolist under tight lock and key in her sanctum.

Hugh spends the Summer politicking, but then spends Autumn/Winter desperately reading Bonisagus' Theory of Magic in order
to have the knowledge needed to build his lab

Robert Whiterook spends Summer in the library reading the Corpus Summa, the Autumn spreading tales and legends about Faeries in the vicinity (he has a theory, stories shape them) and then in Winter discovers a method for turning the placenta of those mothers who give birth in the hospital into 1d10 pawns of Creo vis every year.

Marcus takes his duties seriously, finishing building his lab, then reading the Lab Text on Aegis of the Hearth 25 (and promptly casting it) and Circular Ward Against Demons level 25. Now the Chantry has basic magical protection at least!

Thanks for a great read!

Great start!!!1 :smiley: Thanks for sharing!

Just 2 questions....

1. Did the 2 magi that first ventured into the forest do that on their own? No grogs around?

2. Is it Whitecloak or Whiterook :slight_smile:

Loved the wolfie. Naughty little piggie wizzards!

Cheers,
Xavi

Yes, in session 1, as it was a just formed Spring Covenant, they didnt have any Grogs. Sir Frederick (incidentally played by the same player as the Merinata Robert Whiterook) was away in London, so it was just the Guernicus and Merinata who went into the woods to teach the Big Bad Wolf some respeck. The players have now realised how much harder even a simple Grog is than even a magically augmented Magi.

Indeed by 1221, they still only have 2 Grogs (George and Mitch) and George now has lycanthropy. Both help out as Hospital porters, if you see where we are going with that :slight_smile:

Oh
I see
:laughing:

Session 3

At the start of Session 3, Disceptor Sister Mahult (age 35) spends the last season of 1220 making a +5 longevity potion. Fortunately its just in time and while she apparently ages to ages to 36, doesnt suffer any ill effect.

The Magi discuss their plans for 1221 in council -

Hugh de Neville raises the question of finding a way to save George the Grog from his lycanthropy. Marcus discovers a sponted Rego Animal (Corpus) ward will bind him in a Circle while he is in wolfman form, during full moons. Robert Whiterook speculates that perhaps a Rego Mentem effect could allow him to maintain his human mind during the transformation, thus allowing him to become a true (and sane) shapeshifter.

They also decide that in the good summer months, Marcus, Helena of Mercere and Mahult should visit the Continent in order to collect the promised books from Marcus's dying friend Lucius of Tytalus from the Tytalus Domus Magnus in the Normandy Tribunal.

Meanwhile in Spring, Mahult, Marcus, and the grog Mitch plan to go and visit the 3 East Anglian covenants who are the Chantry's closest Hermetic neighbours - Schola Pythagoranis, Libellus and Nigrasaxa. As a Quasitor, Marcus believes it his duty to meet the magi on his 'patch' and get to know them and their covenants.

Robert Whiterook plans instead to take his wife and the hunter Edward Doddson and George the Grog to scour their lands for vis sources- starting with the now undefended Faerie Wood. Gregory volunteers to join them.

So, the Grand Tour of East Anglia begins with Mahult and Marcus (occasionally being pelted with rocks by urchins who thinks he smells of wee due to his Gift) seeking to buy gifts in London Town and then take the Aetennus road up to Cambridge. In amongst the colleges and halls of Cambridge, they find another college with a quadrangle ("We need to get one of them for the Chantry" says Marcus) named Schola Pythagoranis. They meet with the Master of the College and leader of the Heremtic Covenant- Scholar Edward, a very learned man who prefers the Classics and Artes Liberales. "I have 10 students!" he boasts

"10 Apprentices! At the same time?!" exclaims Marcus aghast at that break with Hermetic traditon!
"No, 10 students, they are not Gifted, but they have keen minds and I educate them in the CLassics!"
"Ah"
exlaims Marcus, not quite comprehending why a Magus would waste his time teaching the unGifted mundane subjects.
"We've got someone like that too- a colleague - Gregory Oakwood- he teaches in Oxford"
"Ah well, an Oxford Man, you say"
says Scholar Edward frostily, putting him down with "I know all the finest scholars in Christendom but I havent heard of that particular gentlemen scholar myself"

Dicussion turns to the Greek copy of Galen's medical summa that the Milton Chantry covenant possess - they think it a fine text which might be of interest to Schola Pythagoranis, but unfortunately not one that they can currently read. "Gregory cant quite translate the Greek"

"Well thats what you get for going to an Oxford man"
responds Edward "But perhaps my colleague Astrolabe ex Jerbiton can help? He is a great scholar and could translate the book into Latin and give you a copy - in return we would keep the original Greek copy and we'd need 2 pawns of vis for his time - Mentem for preference". Marcus and Mahult agree to consider the offer. They also spend some time in Cambridge buying a history of Kent and Wessex

Marcus also catches up with Fredegisa of Guernicus, his nearest Quasitor colleague. She bends his ear on the subject of reforming Hermetic law in Stonehenge- rather than the fate of criminal Magi being a 'popularity contest' with a vote of the Tribunal, she advocates the adoption of principles of law, a jury of peers and a judge with both knowledge of Hermetic law and the right to direct the jury. Marcus isnt convinced, responding that it'll make the position of judge even more biased and political and prone to corruption. "Not if its a Quasitor!" exclaims the ever-naive Fredigisa.

Travelling on to Libellas (now the second newest Covenant in the Tribunal) they meet the Jerbiton - Stephen Eruditas. He's friendly and enthusiastic and painfully wet behind the ears and tremendously impressed by stories of Milton Chantrys wealth ("Wow you've got money!?") and magical defences ("Wow, you've got an Aegis! We dont") and sympathises with their problem of having a werewolf grog ("Wow you've got a turb!").

While Libellas doesnt have many of the resources of the Chantry, they do have quite a few Magi and a powerful magic aura and individual houses and labs. (which Marcus is quite envious of, as every time Sister Mahult sings a hymn in her lab, all the magical lights in his dim and go out). Still it sounds like Libellas have some useful Summas on Ignem (Level 12, SQ8) and Perdo (L10, SQ10) which they'll trade a copy for if they can copy the Chantrys copy of Aegis of the Hearth. They also have some spare votes and sigils for the next Tribunal to offer in trade.

Stephen also consults with Marcus on whether they can legally scry for whoever has stolen vis from one of their new vis sources - magical berries where gone when Libellas came to harvest them. Marcus says that should be OK as there is no evidence that Magi stole them, and if a Magi had taken them to a Sanctum, then the Aegis would prevent a weak scrying anyway.

Finally the magical black towers (Marcus "I want one too!" GM: "What in the middle of your Quadrangle?!" "I want both!") of Nigrasaxa where they meet Maximus of Bonisagus - the Magus who wrote the book on Corpus (literally in this case, as the Covenant realise that their Summa on Corpus was written by the great man). He's keen to have them attend the next Tribunal so it remains quorate in order to beat Blackthorn and has little good to say about such absentees as Burnham or "those bloody Criamon gypsies of Semitae".

Marcus also discovers that apparently Nigrsaxa have also found a new Vis source of magical berries. When he raises the issue that Libellus thinks its theirs, Maximus claims the source lies on their traditional lands and will be needed by his covenant. However, in the interests of maintaining the peace between the East Anglian Covenants, he will accept mediation of this dispute by the Jerbiton Sister Mahult, but they are going to want an outcome of 5 pawns of vis per year or they take it to certamen or Tribunal.

Meanwhile, the Merinata Robert Whiterook and his fae-blood wife, the Benedictine scholar Gregory Oakwood, the hunter Edward Doddson and George the Werewolf Grog venture in the Faerie Forest. Robert is very excited as the last time he was here he discovered a Fae Regio and he has visions of founding a new lab or cottage within it to pursue his studies.
Through the wood (aura 2) they enter the regio (aura 4) - cold and still woods with snow still coating the ever-green trees.

All is silent. They follow the trail and come to a large rocky outcrop or mound. At its base is a grey, stone cave. The musky smell of animal still emnates from it.

Conjuring magical light, he then leads the party down into the dark cave. Bones crunch underfoot- gnawed and cracked open for their marrow, they tell of old death. Many deaths. The lair of the Big Bad Wolf. And what is that....? A sound. A melody? A tune playing on flutes and strings?

Deeper and deeper into the cave, descending beneath the faerie mound they find rough-hewn stairs that lead into a great Faerie Hall (Aura 6). In the hubbub, pale and beautiful shidhe dance and spin, lithe and graceful, others rapt in attention to the music. Pillars and stalactites and stalactmites of ice abound. A patina of frost covers the walls and atop a throne of ice sits an icy blonde of exceeding beauty in a great white fur (GM: "think Tilda Swinton").

Gregory announces them - "His honour, the Hermetic Magus Robert Whiterook ex Merinata and his beatiful lady wife Matilda Whiterook." then "Magister Artibus, Gregory Oakwood" and finally "George of London Town, Slayer of Tarlan The Wolf"
A sudden hush descends upon the room. A call rings out[i] "And do have you brought brought the murderers of my beloved servant to my justice? Here to the Hall of Titania, Queen of Winter?"

"Er.... no"
[/i]
As they present themselves, they argue that it was not murder, but a fair combat between fighting men. Tarlan was tresspassing and had blown down a farmhouse under their protection, and they challenged him to a duel. Was it a fair duel, one on between the noble knight Sir Frederick? Was it he who slew Tarlan? They prevaricate

But they have already announced George as the Wolf slayer have they not? Why yes, and he has the scars to prove it, asserts George, rolling up his sleeves.

At the sight of this, Titanias eyes narrow and she suggests "Perhaps weregild then? A life for a life? A servant for a servant? This man will now serve me in place of the servant of mine he slew? The Wolf's essence has passed into this Grog, and I will have him!". Despite it not being full moon, George is suddenly a lot hairier....

The others are nervous about this and huddle together to confer. Gregory says "We cant do this- we can still find a cure". But then George surprises them by volunteering to stay "Its my duty to protect your good sirs, and we cant fight our way out. I shall remain as her new servant and then you will be free" (perhaps thinking - 'oh, ho an eternity with pretty Faerie maids!'). Gregory concedes "Well, if you are sure George...."

They turn and give their agreement to Titania- George shall serve her. And with a great animal howl which shakes the mound, George CHANGES, a great grey wolf bounding forward to lie protectively before Titania's Winter throne. The Big Bad Wolf, restored as guard to the Winter Court.
Uh Oh.

(sotte voce: Gregorys player OOC -"wow- renewable and recyclable vis source! Just need some more grogs!")

Having aceded to her demands, Queen Titania is now gracious and invites the rest to stay for dinner and to dally in her court as they see fit. The taciturn and dour Edward Doddson is suddenly nervous at interacting with these shidhe nobles and their funny ways, so he begs his pardon and offers to wait for them outside the mound. Robert (failing his Faerie Lore roll with a very low roll), Matilda and Gregory remain to enjoy the revels.

The lecherous Benedictine Gregory courts and dallies with a beautful Fae maid- Lady Nualla. Roberts magical senses discover a source of Perdo vis- behind the throneroom, lies icy winter woods (Fae regio all go a bit non-Euclidean. How else do you have a forest beneath the stars when you've gone deep below a Fae mound?) and in an icy river finds the black roots of dying elm trees which resonate with Perdo vis - 5 pawns harvestable in the the Winter. Requesting permission of her majesty to do so, she nonchantly grants him permission to "Garden if you will".

And with that Matilda, Robert and Gregory feast and dine, amidst revelry and cold humour, and it seems to last all night long. But for lone Edward Doddson, suspicious of Fae ways, he guards outside the cave for far longer than a night. For the trio do not emerge the next morning. Nor the mornning after that. Not the next week, the next month nor even the next Season. No, this Winter party, this Shidhe revels lasts a year and a night in the mortal realm.

Ooops!

:mrgreen:

And nice story.

Milton Chantry – The Covenant at Graves End

Description

This covenant is built on Milton Chantry Manor. It is near, but not quite within the town of Gravesend - a major route between London and the coast. It has a hospital and hospice on the grounds which is open to the deserving poor and those who can afford it. The Covenant itself is in a large manor house built as the home for clergy and doctors. The Hospital/Hospice itself is a seperate building, 200 paces from the manor house. The grounds are surrounded by green lawns and stone wall. A gatehouse and stable are set at the main gates. The back of the manor is bounded by the Thames. About 7 miles away is a faerie wood, shunned by the locals.

One of the Covenant specialists, Healer John Durham runs the hospital. A German, Doctor von Pimm is a lawyer who helps maintain the Covenants rights in civil and church courts. Vicar Braithwaite attends the sick and dying in the hospital and gives Last Rites.

Aura

In the Magi's sanctums and labs and cellar the Magic Aura is 3. (for so long as no clergyman or True Faith source enters them) In the rest of the manor house its Magic aura 1. The grounds have a Dominion Aura of 1 (zero at night) due to the church bells of Gravesend being heard daily. In the hospital and hospice, Dominion of 2 due to the regular prayers for recovery heard there.

The fields outside are Dominon 1, local villages Dominion 2 and Gravesend is Dominion 3. The local church and Monastrey are Dominion 4-5. Dominion generally rises by 1 on Sundays and falls by 1 at night.

The Dominion causes any magic to be cast in its area to be reduced on its roll by Dominion rating x3. (Magic auras boost by its rating). This means that magi in towns generally cast spells at a whopping -9 penalty to the die roll. The house rule is that the Gentle Gift also reduces the impact of Dominion rating on the Magi by 3. So a Gentle Gifted Magi can cast normally in town, but may struggle if he tries to do so in a cathedral or holy place of a saint. Infernal and Faerie auras still impact you normally.

Once you are out in the wilds, on the sea (out of earshot of church bells), in faerie woods or the like then you wont need to worry about Dominion auras.

Lands

You dont rule the small town of Gravesend (about 2000 people - I'll do some research) but do own some lands nearby. Peasants farm those lands and pay their rent in crops, pigs, chickens and other products of the land and home industry. You also have some fishing and mooring rights to the river which bring in an income. There will be other local lords and the Church owning land nearby.

Administration/leading a covenant. While it might be something that can be done in your spare time with established procedures and weekly votes, nothing is yet established for your new covenant. A guiding mind is going to be needed to organise the Grogs, deploy the Companions, cater to the Magi and manage the finances and feudal incomes. Perhaps you can find a trustworthy steward or chamberlain to do that for you, but someone will need to spend the time going out there and recruting him first. And while that happens, someone is going to need to make decisions. The thing with Magi, is that they would ideally love to shuttle between a well stocked Library and their fully equipped Lab for 4 Seasons a year, every year.

But as the game starts, you have maybe 2 books in the library (and some leads on where to get more) and empty rooms for your labs.

As for Vis sources, you'll need to locate and secure some. You will have 10 pawns of each type of Vis (150 total) to begin with, but they wont be replaced when they are gone, unless you can find some more. Corpus and Creo vis sources will be available, but it'll get a bit messy and icky...

Politics

As for political rivals and concerns - there is the local Lord Robert of Gravesend, lord of a town agitating for incorporation and a charter and mayor (thus giving it partial independence from the Lord and his taxes). Then there is the Bishop William de St. Mere Eglise (who dislikes Magi, but fortunately is based in London). There is a local Cistercian he ambitious monastrey run by Abbot Ranulf.

The larger political questions may also impinge. The deed and title to the Chantry, hospital and the lands to support them in nearby Essex and the local vicinity were granted by King John in 1216, shortly before he died. This has particularly annoyed William de Mandeville, Earl of Essex who had his eye on those lands. Also, the Sheriff of Kent happens to be Hubert de Burgh who is the Justicar- the ultimate legal official in the land while the King is still a child. So Royal Court politics are also nearby.

Hermetic Politics

For Heremetic politics, the Stonehenge has been in the grip of the tyrannical Blackthorn Covenant for many years, though this is now changing. Nearby-ish (Suffolk/East Anglia) covenants of Libellas and Nigrasaxa scramble for the vis resources to oppose them. And Magi from the vis-hungry covenants of Flanders and Normandy cross the Channel to take what magic they can get away with.

The next Tribunal is 1222. Starting year is 1220.

I've labelled them as Spring (Relatively recently established and likely to grow, few resources but likely easier to deal with), Summer (Mature and established, moderate resources, likely involved in politics and we will have few things thy need), Autumn (A Covenant at its peak, likely to descend from this point onwards, but still fabulously wealthy in terms of magical power and resources. Likely very hard to deal with on an equitable basis.) and Winter (A dying Covenant that still holds vast wealth beyond the dreams of a young covenant but the magi are likely mad, missing, dead or completely issolated.)

Blackthorn: Over 100 miles away to the West in the South of Wales. (Epitomises Autumn) A powerful Covenant that long dominated Stone-Henge politics Has emnity with Voluntas due to that Covenant recently usurping its long-standing dominance of local Hermetic politics.

Burnham: On the Scottish Border (Autumn) Issolated and issolationist they turn away un-announced visitors and requests for visits are always denied or gain no response. Little is known of them. (Robert Whiterooks Parens is a member of this covenant)

Cad Gadu: In North Wales (Autumn) (Ex Miscelania Dominated) A generally eclectic and disinterested bunch of magi who show little interest in politics. They have the eldest magi in the Tribunal but they don't contest leadership of the Tribunal.

Libellas: Near Bury St Edmunds About 60 miles North North East of us (Spring) Like Gravesend this group is new to the Tribunal and is a largely unknown factor in local politics, it is unlikely to have great magical treasures. Founded by a Jerbiton but with a mix of young magi.

Nigrasara: Near Colchester about 40 miles North East of us (Spring)
Founded by a Bonisagus and once again populated by a mix of magi from different orders.

Schola Pythagoranis: In Cambridge About 55 miles North of us (Summer) A Jerbiton dominanted covenant dedicated to academia, physically the covenant is scattered throughout the environs of Cambridge and tightly bound to the University there.

Semitae: Of no fixed abode (Summer?) The Wandering Covenant. Predominantly Criamon as with all things Criamon, this Covenant makes little sense to outsiders.

Ungulus: On the Scotish Border (Epitomises Winter): A covenant rich with vast magical power, but with magi who are going insane or distant or both. Contains a mix of houses, but was once the heart of a powerful group of Flambeau magi and contained a famed family of Veriditus whose line has since died out. Now it's a very wealthy shell of its former self.

Voluntas: North Yorkshire - over 100 miles to the North (Summer) A politically active group that recently broke the Blackthorn dominance of Stonehenge politics. It has a powerful library and often allows study but seldom allows copying from it. Contains a healthy mix of magical houses.

Librabry

Aegis of the Hearth ReVi25
Circular Ward Against Demons ReVi25
Demon's Eternal Oblivion PeVi10
Lay to Rest the Haunting Spirit PeMe15
The Chirurgeon's Healing Touch CrCo20
Sense the Nature of Vis InVi5
Scales of the Magical Weight InVi5
Gather the Essence of the Beast ReVi15
Clear Sight of the Naiad InAq5

The Library also contains the following books -

A copy of Galens Corpus Medicorum Graecorum - a level 6, Quality 10 Greek Summa on Medicine
The Theory of Magic by Bonisagus, a Level 4, Quality 11 Latin Summa on Magic Theory
Parma Fabulae -Total Quality: 8; Level: 3; Topic: Parma Magica; Language: Latin; Author: Bonisagus
The Human Body Revealed Total Quality: 11; Level: 20; Topic: Corpus; Language: Latin; Subject: The Human Body; Author: Maximus of Bonisangus

You have other sources of magical books and ability developing books -
You can scour, search and buy magical texts from the universities and great cities of Europe
You can trade with other Magi (who often wish payment in Vis or favours)
A dying wizard in Normandy has willed you a set of books -they just need to be collected and safely conveyed
You can tap up your Parens
You can write your own for the edification of others.
The lost covenants of the south coast my still have libraries hidden away.

Things to do in a Season

Build Lab

Search out Vis sources

Acquire Specialists and Grogs

Acquire Summas and Tractatus for Library

Administer the Covenant (someone is going to have to do this every Season)

Adventure or Firefight a Crisis

Copy or Scribe Books or Lab Texts

Create/Increase Reputation in society

Teach Others

Learn Arts or Abilities (Lab or Library or Teacher)

Learn Spells (Lab or Library or Teacher)

Enchant Item (not recommended initially)

Bind a Familiar (not recommended intitially)