A Strange Serendipity (Winter 1239)

"I understand your concerns," Solomon says, and then surreptitiously casts Trust Me (without words or gestures) on the monk to alleviate the effects of his Gift. "Our school was created exactly for youth such as Gabriel. Intelligent yet having trouble with personal interactions and without the title or monetary resources that might pay for such an education. I ensure you, we want nothing but the best for Gabriel here, and believe we can provide him to best environment to grow and learn."

OOC: I believe you can cast that spell without fail, and there is no stress, so you should be good.

The older monk looks pensive for a moment and eyes Solomon up and down one more time. "That's a far better future than he'd get in a fosterage," the monk observes. "And he is a clever boy. It would be a shame to see that go to waste. I'd supposed the best he might expect was an apprenticeship if he was lucky. More likely he'd end up as a laborer or a farm hand." The monk nods. "Very well, he can go to your school, provided you swear that you will care for him until he's at least sixteen years of age. He's about ten or eleven now."[sup]1[/sup]

"Also, if you'll be kind enough to allow us to accompany you up to the castle, we'd like to meet some of the people at this school before we leave." The monk also clearly wants to make certain that Solomon really does belong at the castle, and isn't just passing through Arans.

[sup]1 - He's actually 12. But he's a late bloomer so he's a bit small for his age.[/sup]

Antoine also indicates he will be present.

Does "members of the covenant" include non-magi? I suspect Bernat would be interested to learn exactly what the reason is that the Bishop's men keep chasing him for.

From the child's size you would guess she is maybe 11, but she her body proportions and face would suggest something closer to 7. She does not appear to understand the question of her name, and appears quite scared. She begins babbling- if anyone understands Galacian she is asking where she is and who Carmen is.

Under the Resolutions of Charter, any resident of the covenant who has been named "custos" may attend Council meetings, as may any "Honored Guest." Any resident of the covenant who is named a "consor" (I assume most companion characters are) may attend a Council meeting if invited. Speaking at a council meeting is a whole other matter.

So I guess the two questions are: (1) is Bernat a consor (probably yes); and (2) was he invited by a magus/maga (unknown)?

Iron Bound Tome had started this thread :slight_smile:

We have a half dozen characters with Gift of Tongues, yet none are anywhere around at the moment :laughing:
According to our chart for Local Languages, Occitan versus Galician counts as "Somewhat Related", resulting in a -3 between speakers. So Carmen can tell, if the child is babbling a question, that she speaks something Latin based. She probably makes out her name. So Carmen tries her best at communicating through simple words and hand gestures. With her Communication of -1.
:mrgreen:
"Carmen" (points to self). "Mee nomme es Carmen. (points to child). Et tu? Como? Your nomme?
Carmen will walk with the girl and the grogs, taking her to the kitchen to feed her.
Then to the grogs. I think this kid speaks Portuguese or Navarre. Go find someone that speaks a few different Latino languages. Then follow up on that guy I sent after Solomon. Don't chase after him. Just find out where he went off to then return.

Yeah, I figure this is taking place around the same time Solomon is in town.

Hmm, ok. The way I see it, the magi all know his background, and some of them are likely to have put two and two together. Most likely are Carmen (who's most familiar with TMIBWTSOHB) and Arachne (who seems to be sharper than most, and very good at putting two and two together). So it probably comes down to whether either of them asks him.

Guiverna arrives at the appointed hour, her hair done in long cornrows with turquoise beads in the center and the ends of the braids; her gown is well-fitted, with white embroidering highlighting her contours. Semsuhfaw is draped over her shoulders like a [strike]feather[/strike] boa.

I think Carmen invited him way back when, having decided to put her foot down and not take orders from outsiders and thereby set a bad precedent for the other parts of Andorra.
I remember having once said something about catching the bishop making some bargain with a faerie. She also recalls TMIBWASOHB having said he has an arrangement with said bishop.
So that's two and two.
The situation with abducting children from our town, whom are also Gifted, brings matters to a point that demands resolution. So she will send a message requesting Bernat to attend the meeting.
Because of the girls confusing language, Carmen concludes the child might not which be from Arans after all, which adds to the mystery of the situation. Pretty sure she is Portuguese. Carmen requests magi brings their Familiars. She is sure one or more of them has magical translation powers.

But that is besides the point and comes after the current moment.
Carmen is making sure the child is fed, and trying to learn her name.
Dosn't anyone around here speak Portuguese or Galician? Jesus Christ.

What is amusing is that Carmen had invented "Thoughts within Babble", but Lab Warping rendered it useless :laughing:

Solomon nods, "Of course, your caution is well-merited. There is another child here in the city that I wish to provide this opportunity as well, so perhaps if you could help Gabriel gather his things, I will go to speak to this other child's caretakers and return here so that we may all travel to the castle?"

"Very well," the elder monk says. "We shall await your return."

The girl gives her name as Clotilde, and follows to the kitchen where she eats what is offered, eating very hungrily, and giving the impression that she is a bit of a pig.
(blatant gift and greedy)

Gift has no effect on Carmen since she has Parma Magica, but she does notice that Nurse Ximena is irritated. So she will sit with Clotilde until Solomon gets her message and sends word back, and is insistant on getting a Portuguese translator in here on the double.

Solomon nods to the monks and gives a farewell to Gabriel with a promise to return soon.

He then heads off in the direction of the other Gifted individual he had detected.

(Ironboundtome, you're up...tell me where Solomon is going)

Lucien (character sheet) would still be moving between a few impromptu hides, trying to not overstay his (un)welcome with any particular group of Arans townsfolk. At night he has two places; a crawl space of the Inn, or sometimes climbing onto the roof and then into the open tower of the Church of Coloma. By day he looks for ways to assist new travelers or townsfolk; which is very rare mid-winter. That probably means that since the mercenaries left him the boy has had a very rough few days between the merc group's protection and Solomon arriving. He would be hungry, tired, and wary.

When Solomon goes to find him, Lucien is in his current bolthole: the unintended crawlspace created by a quick renovation of The Seven Stars inn. By night the boy places his blankets and possessions around him as he huddles away from the wind. Sometimes he is able to garner scraps and such from the patrons, although Lucien thinks that Johan's patience has just about expired. If not within the space itself, he would be loitering close to keep an eye for opportunities and his possessions.

(Solomon will approach him with the same set of spells as before...)

Solomon peeks his head through the crawlspace, "Lucien, yes? Hello, I am Solomon. I was wondering if we might chat for a bit?"

Lucien is surprised and likely embarrassed by Solomon's appearance but the "trust me" spell does it's work very well, and he extricates himself to stand and talk to Solomon. As he looks up to responds he reaches back into the bolthole to gather his blankets and possessions. Solomon's soft demeanor seems to relax Lucien a little too.

He also tries to straighten his clothing. "Yes Brother Solomon, of course. But .." Lucien needs to pause to think and then looking directly at Solomon's eyes, Lucien speaks softly as his mind is still unsure of what is going on, "But how did you know my name? Have we met before?"
[hr][/hr]OOC: Assuming Solomon is speaking French.

(French isn't Solomon's best language, but it'll do...)

Solomon shakes his head, "No Lucien, we've never met but I know much about you. I know about the accidents, the one's where things get hot when you get upset. I know that the other children are afraid of you, and the monks seem ill at ease in your presence. I can explain why this happens, if you wish?"

Lucien's eyes widen as Solomon speaks and his outward demeanor changes, very obviously tense.

"You know those things because you're from the Abbey", he says frowning and still looking directly at you. There is a note of disappointment and resignation in his voice. "I'm afraid that I'm not going back Brother Solomon, even if the Bishop ordered it. I decided that when I left."

Then glancing around then back at you as he continues, "And unless you brought help I'll escape before we get half way to Auberive. I am sorry Brother." He continues to speak if you don't interject, now looking at you with a flat smile and bent shoulders, "but if you are going to try to explain my curse at least lets go indoors. I'm cold and it will snow tonight."

After that Lucien will be happily be led inside the Inn or somewhere plausible, as long as there is no obvious danger.
[hr][/hr] OOC: Is there anything specifically non-monk like in Solomon's appearance? His description seemed to link to Lucien's monastic background, although something more garish or ornate might be noticeable if he can pass a Perception test.

• Also is that "trust me" effect continuous of a once off? I need to factor that into my responses.
    I do love how darn direct Solomon is.

(Trust Me has a duration of Sun, and basically just 'counteracts' the effects of the Gift. And you're correct, Solomon pretty much looks just like a monk carrying a quarterstaff.)

Solomon smiles, "Yes, you are clever, aren't you. But you are wrong, I am not from the Abbey, and if I were, I wouldn't need help to keep you from escaping," he says as he points his staff at Lucien and speaks some words in Latin. Lucien suddenly rises into the air, floating about 2 feet off the ground (Lifting the Dangling Puppet).

"Now," he says as the boy continues to float, "perhaps you can desist with the attitude and we can discuss the opportunity I am here to offer you?"

(I'm assuming this could be done with no one else around while they are still outside)