A Strange Serendipity (Winter 1239)

Solomon looks down at his map as he sees the barn ahead of him. Noting that the barn matches the location of where he identified the Gifted individual, he limps his way to the barn. Sophia circles over the barn, watching for anything amiss as Solomon casts [i]Spot the Gifted Child[/] and then touches his staff to the wall of the barn and casts Prying Eyes.

Seeing the child inside grooming a mule, Solomon recognizes the glow around the child that indicates the Gift. Nodding to himself, Solomon ends the concentration of his spell and steps into the barn.

“Good evening,” he says the boy. The moment the boy looks in his direction he surreptitiously casts Trust Me to counteract the effect of his Gift on the child. “My name is Solomon, I live in the castle up on the hill,” he continues as he now casts Peering Into the Mortal Mind on the child.

After a short pause he smiles, “Gabriel, yes? What is the name of your friend there,” he asks as he points to the mule. “Not the name the monks have given him, but the name he calls himself.”

[hr][/hr]
Solomon has Deft Form (Mentem) so Trust Me and Peering Into the Mortal Mind are cast without words or gestures.

"What?" Gabriel exclaims when Solomon speaks. He turns around abruptly and takes a moment to look Solomon up and down. "Yes, I'm Gabriel, Master Solomon. And this is - well, I guess you'd say his name is Talks-too-much, though the monks call him Noah." He pauses and his eyes narrow. "You're clever. Not many people know that they have their own names."

Solomon smiles, "I know many more things than that, young Gabriel. I know that you can speak with Talks-Too-Much here, and I know that you can take many more forms than the one you were right now. What if I told you I could teach you so much more than that?"

Gabriel looks quickly from side to side to see whether the monks are nearby. When he sees that they're still alone he asks, "what kind of things? And how did you know I could talk to animals and change? I've been careful since I came to live with the monks."

OOC: Peering into the Mortal Mind reveals that he genuinely does want more out of life than just caring for mules. He wants to learn about people. He's also surprised that Solomon knows what he can do, but to guileless to understand that people would think him strange for the abilities. He's been told by his mentor not to reveal that information, so he hasn't. But he doesn't quite understand how odd it is.

Solomon steps a little closer to Gabriel and whispers softly, "I'm a wizard," he says with a sly smile. "And I can teach you to be one too."

Gabriel's eyes go wide. "A real wizard?" he says in an unbelieving tone. "And I could be one too?" Once more he looks around to see whether the monks have returned. "That would be wonderful." He seems to have no concept that what Solomon has said to him is in any way odd.

OOC: In his mind Solomon can see that as a kid who grew up changing form, talking to animals, and living with a talking, magical lynx, he has a fairly unrealistic view of how the world works. (Sheltered Upbringing.) He also has little loyalty to the monks. Not that he dislikes them. It's just that he hasn't been with them for long, and he can tell that they don't particularly like him. His enthusiasm about the possibility of becoming a wizard is genuine.

Matters not, as long as Solomon gets his due. Carmen main thought is to rescue innocent children.
Okay, this is what I am going to do. I will pay a ransom of four pawns for the child in the sack. If you want a further settlement, extorting a tribute payment to keep you out of our little valley, then return hence in three days. I shall speak with my peers an we will meet with you then to discuss terms. Out here in front, at noon. Until then, you must suspend your activities.
Is this acceptable?

The man in black nods "I will watch, but not act." he releases the girl from the sack in exchange for the 4 pawns of herbem vis.

Solomon nods, "you could, but it's not easy. It would take a lot of work and a lot of time. It's not a decision one makes lightly."

"It must be better than staying with the monks," Gabriel replies. "They treat me well, but they clearly don't like having me around." He looks over at Talks-to-much and back to Solomon. "Would I still have time to talk to animals?"

Gareth smiles, "Don't be too certain. I was a monk myself before I became a magus, so I might not be that different. But yes, there will be plenty of animals for you to speak with."

"But to be a wizard ...," Gabriel's eyes fill with stars. "That would be worth a lot of effort."

He takes a deep breath. "I think I'd like to try," he says. "But if you want me to wait and consider it more, I'll understand. I have to warn you, though, that the monks expect to leave here at dawn. We're on our way back to the monastery. I'm not entirely certain where that is."

Solomon shakes his head, "No, if you wish to try, then we should start now. You are already older than most when they begin their training. But don't worry, so was I. I should speak with the monks then, and ensure their consent."

Carmen opens the bag to release the child and commands the grogs to have them fed, cleaned, and examined.
"I shall be meeting with you shortly to talk about what happened. Get some food and wash up first. You have had a traumatic experience.
But first, what is your name?"
She then has a letter drafted, a message to all members of the covenant to meet the next morning ...to discuss the faerie abductor I once mentioned, known only as The-Man-In-Black-With-A-Sack-On-His-Back, who has taken to kidnapping Gifted children he has found in the area and specifically a child from Arans.
Then she inquires of another grog, "Where is Solomon? Tell him I need to speak with him right away. ".

"I don't think the monks will mind," Gabriel replies. "They're only letting me stay because they have nowhere else to put me at the moment. But I heard them talking. They're planning on sending me to a fosterage sometime soon. I'd prefer to go with you."

"But you're right," he adds. "They've been kind to me. They deserve to be asked."

Lucas pens back a quick message to Carmen saying that he'll be at the meeting.

OOC: Just let us know when the meeting starts. It sounds like Carmen wants to consult Solomon before the meeting.

Solomon nods, "Well then, gather up your things and let's find them."

[hr][/hr]

Is this happening while Solomon is still out?

Gabriel quickly gathers his things - there isn't much - and says goodbye to the mules, urging them to be good on the ride back to the monastery. Then he stands by the door to the barn waiting for Solomon to finish talking to the monks.

(Okay, I'm assuming Solomon finds the monks...)

"Brothers, I am Solomon, one of the residents of the castle on the hill. I was just speaking with young Gabriel here, and he is an intelligent child. We have a school where we teach young, gifted, children to enable them to best serve the Lord and society. I would like to offer Gabriel such an opportunity if you would be willing to give him to my care."

OOC: I know silveroak started this thread. But I jumped in with the monks. silveroak, let me know if you'd rather handle the monks.

The monks round the corner of the barn and look up from their meditations. At first they seem startled at Solomon's presence. Then his thoughtful demeanor and monk-like robes convince them that he's not a brigand or the like. They listen to what Solomon says, but narrow their eyes suspiciously, no doubt feeling the effect of the Gift.

"That is very kind of you to offer," the older monk replies. "We had just been talking a few days ago about what kind of a future young Gabriel might have. But forgive me, I know little of this area. What is your school, and why do you think Gabriel would be good for it? He has no family and no money. I feel I must tell you that at the start."

The monk looks torn. He'd clearly like to be rid of the trouble of having this strange boy around. But he's not sure that this strange man is the one to surrender him to.