A Surprise Visitor (Spring 1237)

The pack has clearly seen a lot of wear, but is still in good shape. It contains some spare clothes, a small knife, and the sorts of things you might expect to find in a traveling pack. It also has a leather case containing pen and ink, and several pieces of parchment, some blank, and some written on in Latin. A glance shows that the writing is religious in nature, though it would clearly take a good deal of time to figure out the specifics of what it says.

A quick look in the chests shows that one contains a number of wooden and metal implements, the exact use of which Rilcheau is uncertain of, and the other contains bundles of fine thread. Tomas identifies the first as holding weaving tools, and the second as holding his most valuable threads.

"So what do we do now?" Tomas asks, clearly concerned for his cousin. "I hope something didn't happen to Alex."

(I'm in a bit of an odd situation since Alexandrus is really just there to show the Father around and not really make any decisions of his own...)

I'm assuming they knock on the door...is there any response.

[hr][/hr]

As for Solomon, I want to wait for Marko to answer a question in another thread, as I want to know if Solomon is a Pontifex by Spring of 1237 before continuing.

"How well does your brother know the woods around this area? I know several creatures have moved into the area in the last few years he might not have been aware of, but if he was worried enough that the creditors would come looking for him..."

Sorry about how this came down. I really had thought (perhaps foolishly) that a magus might accompany Fr. Vilanis. I guess this is where Alexandrus has to exercise some initiative on behalf of his master.

A woman in her late thirties or early forties answers the door. "Bless my soul," she says, seeing the priest, the knight, and the armsmen. Quickly she brushes some flour from her hands and gives a quick curtsy to both priest and knight. "Are you with the other man from the castle who came by a moment ago? My husband is with him back in the weaving house. I'm afraid I don't know what they were talking about. But you're welcome to come inside and wait for them, or you can go to the weaving house and see them for yourselves if you'd prefer."

Father Vilanis turns and looks to Alexandrus, his guide and the de facto representative from the castle. "I'm hesitant to wait," he says. "If you and Sir Michael would accompany me, I should like to speak to the weaver immediately."

[hr][/hr]

Understood

Alexandrus nods, "I agree father. I'm not certain why Rilcheaux is here, but I know he was not sanctioned to be investigating this matter by the masters of the castle."

"I shouldn't think very well," Tomas replies. "He only arrived here recently, and he's spent all that time here in the weaving house. You don't think he would have fled into the mountains to get away from his pursuers, do you? But why would he have fled? Nothing suspicious or dangerous happened. No one's been by except you." He thinks for a moment, then looks back to Richleau. You don't think he saw you and ran, do you? I mean, he doesn't know you from Adam." Tomas's eyes narrow. Come to think of it, neither do I. Who did you say you were again?"

Meanwhile, outside the weaver's house, Fr. Vilanis nods. "I quite understand. But still, he's here, and that can't be a coincidence. We must investigate the weaving house immediately. There's something in the air that makes me concerned." He turns to the weaver's wife. "With your permission, we'll go to the weaving house now," he says. Then he turns to the two men-at-arms. "Watch the house, the road, and the neighbor's houses for anything suspicious." With that, he moves to the side gate to head into the backyard and to the weaving house. Sir Michael and Alexandrus follow. A moment later finds them in the back of the weaver's home, at the door of the weaving house. They can hear voices inside.

"If he ran, where would he run to? It would seem there is nowhere. Seem being the key point, I'm afraid your brother has deceived you in his purpose to coming here. He is not running from users, but from the church."

Alexandrus will hold up a hand to the Father in a waiting motion, and leans his towards the door, seeing if he can overhear the conversation occurring on the other side.

(Assuming this would be a Per+Awareness roll, Alexandrus would have a +6, or +7 if Alertness is an appropriate specialty. Could you roll for me?)

Inside

"I think I'm definitely being deceived," Thomas says. "But by whom? You're no churchman. You look more like a merchant to me. Just who are you that you're looking for my cousin? And why should I believe anything you say?"

Outside

Fr. Vilanis nods and Alexandrus listens at the door. He can easily make out what's being said.
Awareness roll: 1D10+6 = [8]+6 = 14

First Voice: "How well does your brother know the woods around this area? I know several creatures have moved into the area in the last few years he might not have been aware of, but if he was worried enough that the creditors would come looking for him..."

Second Voice: "I shouldn't think very well. He only arrived here recently, and he's spent all that time here in the weaving house. You don't think he would have fled into the mountains to get away from his pursuers, do you? But why would he have fled? Nothing suspicious or dangerous happened. No one's been by except you." A pause "You don't think he saw you and ran, do you? I mean, he doesn't know you from Adam." Another pause. "Come to think of it, neither do I. Who did you say you were again?"

First Voice: "If he ran, where would he run to? It would seem there is nowhere. Seem being the key point, I'm afraid your brother has deceived you in his purpose to coming here. He is not running from users, but from the church."

Second Voice: "I think I'm definitely being deceived. But by whom? You're no churchman. You look more like a merchant to me. Just who are you that you're looking for my cousin? And why should I believe anything you say?"

"Poor Thomas, I'm afraid you have been deceived by a number of people. Yes, I did deceive you in order to find out what you knew about your cousin, which is little enough. No, I am not the man your cousin claims to owe money to, if you doubt me on this point take these papers to the priest, or to the Officer of the inquisition who will, I'm certain, be along shortly, and they can explain to you what heresy your brother was being pursued for. However the greater evidence is yet to be revealed. quasatoris"

*where else might your brother flea to? -posing the silent question

Possibly some other relatives - other cousins - who might help him. His memory comes up with the names of four other cousins that might be willing to help him.

Thomas looks confused and concerned, but says nothing. No doubt his mind is working a mile a minute.

Rilcheaux looks the puzzled man in the eyes once again and repeats "Quaesatoris" before picking up the travel bag and papers.

*Where does the closest of these four live?

From his mind Rilcheau gets directions to a nearby farm about a mile or two outside of town.

Rilcheaux looks the man over. Posing the silent question would be as useless as asking what he would do with the papers if he left them here. "I am going to tell the priest or officer of the Inquisition that you were helpful, and that you gave me his papers. I know that you are innocent in this, hopefully this will help to convince them as well, if of course they believe me, which has yet to be seen." He then walks out the door- or attempts to...
"Father Vilanus! Listening at doors? That is far more... subtle... behavior than I would have expected."*

*Rilcheaux goes to confessional regularly. He doesn't always get the absolution he is seeking, but he takes what he can get and resolves to deal with the rest later. I expect he has a complex relationship with the father...

1. Father Vilanus wasn't listening at the door; Alexandrus was.
  2. Father Vilanus is an inquisitor not from around here, so I doubt you have any sort of relationship with him.
  3. I would appreciate you maybe giving other people a chance to post before just assuming situations. You've posted 3 times since I've had the chance to post and react to the scene.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Sorry, misread that.

Alexandrus pulls away from the door and turns to Father Vilanus, "It seems that Tomas' cousin arrived here very recently, telling him he was being chased by userers. Apparently he was staying here, but he's gone missing."

Rilcheaux looks the man over. Posing the silent question would be as useless as asking what he would do with the papers if he left them here. "I am going to tell the priest or officer of the Inquisition that you were helpful, and that you gave me his papers. I know that you are innocent in this, hopefully this will help to convince them as well, if of course they believe me, which has yet to be seen." He then walks out the door- or attempts to...

"Ah, well this is convenient." Rilcheaux steps out and closes the door behind him. "Tomas, the cousin of the man you are pursuing just gave me these papers which Alex apparently left behind. I have only given them a cursory look." He hands the papers to Father Vilanus "Perhaps they can shed some light on your investigation."

Fr. Vilanis takes the papers, but narrows his eyes and looks at Rilcheaux carefully before recognition dawns. "You're the man who poked his head in the room back at the castle," he says, showing that it's no accident that he's an Inquisitor. "I must say that I'm surprised to see you here as I told no one but Lady Carmen and Master Solomon the details of my investigation. But no doubt you heard the general information and decided to investigate it on your own. It's commendable that you'd try to aid the Inquisition in such a way, and impressive that you got so far without hearing all of what I told Solomon." He holds a suspicious gaze on Rilcheaux for a long time, and even the spymaster finds it hard to stay calm, though he does manage not to give anything away.

"Still, I wish you had left things to the Inquisition. Our foe is a very dangerous and tricky man. He's eluded the Inquisition thus far, and has left a great deal of trouble and heartache in his path. You might have been injured - or worse, corrupted."

Fr. Vilanis's Awareness + Int roll to recognize Rilcheaux, EF 9.
Awareness roll: 1D10+6 = [7]+6 = 13; success

Fr. Vilanis has Piercing Gaze. Rilcheaux must make a Guile check to avoid looking nervous at the mention of the information he either eavesdropped or had someone else eavesdrop to learn.
Guile roll: 1D10+5 = [9]+5 = 14
He manages not to look nervous.

Okay, so how is his name really spelled? Sometimes it has the x on the end and sometimes it doesn't.

"Speaking of corruption, I have two possibilities as to where Alex might be. The first is at another cousin's house a short ways away, the second is that he might be aided by infernal forces and be hiding right here. The second suspicion is based solely on the fact that I do not believe he had warning of any of us arriving, he appears to have been here fairly recently in that he did not take his travel pack, his cousin Tomas was certain he would be in the shed, and I am certain he has not left by way of that door since I arrived. While I am certain the infernal would have no trouble deceiving me in such a way, you are a man of the cloth, and I expect would be far less easily deceived. Have you noticed any infernal taint to this place? It might be best if you investigate the weaving room as well."

Rilcheaux, with the x