A very quick question on C&G and locks!

I have borrowed my copy of C&G to one of my players, and I'm in a fix trying to recall what skill it uses for handling locks? Did it reintroduce Pick Locks or did it use a Craft skill or something completely else?

I hope someone has the book at hand and doesn't mind doing a quick pageturn for me :wink:

Legerdemain.

Cheers mate!!! :smiley:

Even caught me just before I mailed off the character which this involved. I did ponder whether it was Legerdemain and looked it up in the corebook but found no reference there.

Why use an ability when you have a hammer and a characteristic called strength? :stuck_out_tongue:

Xavi

Because you are a mighty magus with an obsession for food. An obsession that you are rather timid about and because you'd like to return to the pantry to resupply on several occasion without the food being restored due to the cracked doorframe. And because you hadn't realised that your constant chewing on meaty delights and the food sticking from under your robe is a dead giveaway... :laughing:

[size=75]Two months ago in my game the magi were exploring a deserted covenant where all of the active spells had been dispelled. After a tussle with some demons that had been released they came into the treasury of the coveanant and were confronted by a collection of locked chests.

Most of my players are fairly new to the game as was shown by the words of our otherwise egocentric Tytalus Mentem master; "If only there were some way to open these locks".

The disembodied voice of the storyguide then floated through the room,"Dude there's a +5 magic aura and you have a rego score of 19".

Tytalus mentem master "If only there were some way to open these locks" (while rolling a sixteen on the stress die for his spontaineous casting)[/size]
I'd have to say that if Furion's character is a mighty magus there very well might be easier ways for him to go about his job then legerdamin.

The use of the word borrowed to mean lent is something that many many native english speakers do. There is a small subset of native English speakers who get inordinatly bothered by this otherwise harmless practice. Sadly I am a member of of this group and I find this particular misuse of the word borrowed slighly painful to read and hear. There is little hope of me ever recovering from my unfortunate condition, I beg you to have mercy on me.

Disclaimer: It's not Furion, but in fact his former apprentice Volvulus - I wonder if this obsession with food is linked to compensating for the humiliating things his master put him through. Sadly I don't even have a magus myself - in spite of my love of Ars. Furion -who for some strange reason became my monicker here- is a NPC, and in fact out of the game at moment. The tension between two Flambeau magi with a lot of baggage fueled by Fury can only lead down a path of unavoidable bloddy conflict. And it sort of did - the younger one still lives, but probably only because their confrontation pushed Furion into Twilight.. from where he some grim day will return..

You must have enemies in high places. I am not a native speaker but as I was about to write said post and the word lent had been typed some voice from the great beyond assailed me. From the tone of I frankly expected it to deliver a instruction to wield holy handgrenades or some such. But it didn't. Instead it gave me second thoughts that the word lent implied a monetary price or return favour. And even if all my players have to wax my floors with a toothbrush before I lend them my books, I would never divulge such a practice to my sodales. Thus I swiftly changed it to the horrible horrible 'boooorrowed'. This might be the proper explanaition or simply just that it rimed to much with rent. :bulb:

Now having excused myself for my attrocity, and having taken a peek at a dictionary I'm curious, if only to improve on my English, on how this constitutes a misuse of the word? :question:

And at the same time I'll pledge to try to pledge an attempt not to do so again... :smiley:

From my imperfect foreigner understanding ... lent is used when you temporarily give something away. Borrow is used when you temporarily gain something.

So: you lend something to someone, or you borrow something from someone. One of your players have borrowed the book from you, you have lent the book to them.

a-HA! It suddenly makes a lot of sense to me. It even sounds familiar. Thanks.

"Neither a Borrower nor a Lender be,
for a loan oft loses both itself and friend,
and borrowing dulls... whatever ..."

Meh, what did Polonius know, anyway?

Yes, to borrow is to take, to loan is to give- temporarily, hopefully! :wink:

Put a lien on your loan , especially if the lendee is untimely in returning the book to the lenderer.

Time to burrow in the laundry.

bor·row /ˈbɒroʊ, ˈbɔroʊ/ Pronunciation[bor-oh, bawr-oh]
–verb (used with object)

1. to take or obtain with the promise to return the same or an equivalent: Our neighbor borrowed my lawn mower.
  2. to use, appropriate, or introduce from another source or from a foreign source: to borrow an idea from the opposition; to borrow a word from French.
  3. Arithmetic. (in subtraction) to take from one denomination and add to the next lower.
    –verb (used without object)
  4. to borrow something: Don't borrow unless you intend to repay.
  5. Nautical.
    a. to sail close to the wind; luff.
    b. to sail close to the shore.
  6. Golf. to putt on other than a direct line from the lie of the ball to the hole, to compensate for the incline or roll of the green.
    —Idiom
  7. borrow trouble, to do something that is unnecessary and may cause future harm or inconvenience.

How was "borrowed" used incorrectly?

To borrow is to take, not to give.
He gave his book, temporarily to someone else. Thus that other person borrowed it, but he did not borrow it to the other person. He lent it.

This is starting to remind me of a Legion of Net. Heroes story arc.
I will check with [color=red]Anal-Retentive Archive Kid if they have any Heroes with a Grammatical inclination.