Advice on V&F Choices

Hi,

I don't get to type much these days, so (regrettably? fortunately?) I have not contributed to this effort, but I hope the opportunity works out for you.

Anyway,

Ken

3 Likes

I'm hoping that this is also an opportunity to reorder virtues and flaws so that social status and hermetic options are kept separate from other choices (as presented, not mechanically).

Looks decent, and a welcome fresh approach to the section.

If the project concerned supports it, I suggest that concepting advice, as well as ways to apply it, may be useful as a lead-in to this area.
When I tried an exercise like this for experienced role players who were new to the system, I emphasised that selecting an appropriate concept for the character was the most important thing, and that other choices, including of virtues and flaws (without prejudice to well-intentioned renaming), flow relatively easily from a clear concept, often simply using the lists by name as the latest revision suggests.
For such players in need of guidance but wanting independence from the (useful!) template builds, there is a risk of generic concepts covering the same ground as the templates. To avoid this, for magi in particular I suggested that concepts emphasise role/s as well as field/s of interest, and continued to give some examples (often but not all aligned to magical foci), though doing this in detail may take more space than you can spare.
I also endorse the arguments for well-thought-out non-prose presentation for clarity where appropriate.

4 Likes