Aging Simplification

Hello. I come with a bit of an experiment I've been doing behind the scenes. It changes the aging rules so there's roughly only one stat to track.

Please let me know what you think of the following modification.

The Theory
First off, aging roll itself. It does not change much. It's still [stress die + Age/10 - Living Conditions & Longevity Rituals], with one adjustment: it can botch, with a number of botch dice equal to Age/10 + Decrepitude Score.

The mechanics of the aging roll change completely. Instead of referring to a table wherein you choose or are imposed aging points, the roll result is simply recorded as an addition to the sum total of all aging rolls, setting Decrepitude Points.

Decrepitude Points advance Decrepitude Score like an Ability. Every time DS increases, the player checks the natural roll and compares it to the new loss table.

Die Result Characteristic Lost
0 Player’s Choice
2 Qik
3 Sta
4 Per
5 Prs
6 Str and Sta
7 Dex and Qik
8 Com and Prs
9 Int and Per
10 Each Physical
12+ Each Mental
24+ All

Decrepitude can increase up to Score of 10, at which point it kills the character.

On an aging roll botch, two things happen:

• Decrepitude immediately increases to the next score
  • Character suffers a Crisis, simulating a spontaneously contracted disease

The crisis severity depends solely upon the number of zeros that came up o the botch dice, and it causes a disease.

Zeros on Botch Dice Crisis Result
One Lesser - as (-1) disease w/ Week interval, stable EF 3, recovery EF 9
Two Minor - as (incap) disease w/ Week interval, stable EF 3, recovery EF 9
Three Serious - as (incap) disease w/ Month interval, stable EF 6, recovery EF 12
Four Major - as (incap) disease w/ Month interval, stable EF 9, recovery EF 15
Five Critical - as (incap) disease w/ Season interval, stable EF 12, recovery EF 18
Six or more Fatal - as (incap) disease w/ Year interval, stable EF 15, recovery EF 21

Finally, I have slightly adjusted an array in which the Age Quickly Flaw sets the human on the "Short-Lived" track. On the other hand, Faerie-Blooded are Long Lived.

Creature Type Ageing Threshold Ageing Modifier Ageing Interval
Short-Lived Human 20 years Age/5 Twice per year
Standard Human 35 years Age/10 Once per year
Long-Lived Human 50 years Age/20 Two years

Practice (only checked Standard Human)
Assuming the average roll is 6 and no crisis happens, an average character dies in ~59 years.
A character with poor living conditions (-2) dies a little younger, at ~56.
A character with good living conditions (+2) dies several years later, at ~64.
A magus in an average covenant with a modest level 50 Longevity Ritual (+10) will survive ~110 years. A stronger ritual (say, +15) would allow the magus to survive well into ~175 years.

A Short-Lived human (Age Quickly Flaw) sets the life expectancy very low, at 31.

A Long-Lived human (Strong Faerie Blood, among others) makes the expectancy higher, at ~94 years - roughly double the average man's lifespan (assuming standard -3 to aging rolls as per the Virtue).

Crises and exploding dice will naturally decrease the life expectancy, but I do not have a quick way of testing them right now.

1 Like

Why did you increase the point at which decrepitude points kill the character from 5 to 10? When is the character essentially invalid for travel (which was decrepitude 4 on vanilla rules)?

I increased the effective decrepitude kill threshold because it very neatly coincides with the other "10 and you're done" stat usually used for magic users - Warping. Having both at the max of 10 is satisfying to me.

Well, that and it coincidentally takes about 60 years to approach that score, whereas if Decrepitude had a maximum score of 5, it would be much faster - and keeping the aging roll as is, without complications like dividing the result, is important to me. A stress die neatly lends itself to that number, it's as simple as that.

For stressful play invalidity I'd say score of 9 would be most appropriate, assuming we want to keep that invalidity threshold.

1 Like