Alternatives to magical focus

A few observations to start:

A character can have but one magical focus. I think that this is a great rule for balance and for keeping characters unique.

I and at least one of the other posters on this board (I think that it was either Xavi or Gribble) make it a point to encourage all magus characters to take a magical focus because they are so darn cool.

The published example mystery cults are packed with initiations that give characters specific magical foci

Magical potency has a significantly different feel than magical focus. Bringing the mystical associations of natural material to bear in your spell casting with potency rather than pure magical horse power of a magical focus.

Although I've never encountered this problem in play; I could foresee a situation arising where a character who has a darn cool magical focus wants to undergo initiation in a mystery cult but all of the players involved realize that having the character loose their old focus in favor of a new one would make the game a poorer and less fun experience. The by the book resolution to this situation is to experiment with the script and get the character something different. I'd prefer a different option, so I'm putting up a possible house rule (despite the fact that my last game ended in April and I don't think that I'll start a new game until, at earliest, August). Here's the rule:

When a character who has a magical focus through some event, such as a mystery initiation, would gain a second magical focus, rather than loosing the first magical focus in favor of the second the character gains a new virtue with the same scope as the new magical focus but with different effects. For example a character who has a magical focus in rivers joins the Confraternity of Roland and undergoes initiation to gain a magical focus in swords. Rather than loosing his river magical focus virtue he gains a new virtue with the scope of swords. Example virtues are below:

Magical potency: As described in Mystery cults and Mysteries revised

Magical connection: The character gains a +3 (minor) or +6 (major) bonus on all casting totals or lab totals involving the subject of the virtue. Also, when casting spells that involve the subject of the magical connection the caster acts as if he had the life boost virtue and the life linked spontaneous magic virtue. Finally the caster may incorporate the following effect modification into any enchantment that he creates within the scope of the magical connection: physical empowerment, 2 levels, when the creator of this enchantment triggers the power (and only the creator) he may sacrifice fatigue levels , each fatigue level sacrificed increases the effect's penetration by 5 points.

Magical facilityThe character gains a +3 (minor) or +6 (major) bonus on all casting totals or lab totals involving the subject of the virtue. Also, with magic that falls within the scope of the magical facility virtue the character gains the benefits of the virtues flawless formulaic magic and cautious sorcerer

Magical adaptabilityThe character gains a +3 (minor) or +6 (major) bonus on all casting totals or lab totals involving the subject of the virtue. Also, with magic that falls within the scope of the magical adaptability virtue the character gains the benefits of the virtue flexible formulaic magic formulaic magic. Finally the caster is able to effect spontaneous magic and enchantments that fall within the scope of the magical adaptability with muto vim spells as if they were formulaic spells.

Magical controlThe character gains a +3 (minor) or +6 (major) bonus on all casting totals or lab totals involving the subject of the virtue. Also, with magic that falls within the scope of the magical control virtue the character gains the benefits of the tamed magic virtue. Finally the caster may incorporate the following effect modification into any enchantment that he creates within the scope of the magical connection: boostable,2 levels per pawn , when this enchantment is triggered the triggering character may sacrifice one or more pawns of vis to increase the power of the effect. Each pawn sacrificed increases the range, duration or target of the effect by one level. One pawn can be sacrificed to empower a particular casting for every two additional levels added to the enchantment's effect.

I think i'd just let them have both focus's. In the same way that an initiation can allow a mage to have more than 1 major hermetic virtue, i'd allow it to teach a mage an additional focus. Mostly because I can't see any harm in letting a mage have multiple focus's (focuses, focii?).

Same thing here, although I like your idea, and would maybe allow both

Or you could go for plan B and allow NO ONE to get a new focus in mid saga from mistery cults. Give them puissant instead. Works equally well and does not redefine the character so strongly.

Xavi

I think I pointed out they should almost be made mandatory. :slight_smile:

And yet, magi who want to join House Verditius must undergo the Embrace of Boethius, whether they really want it or not. Hedgies getting their arts opened may lose their original powers. So while it is quite true that it'd be quite annoying for the player, it is thematically fitting. And don't forget that the loss of the old focus would probably count as an Ordeal.

The idea of combining a +3/+6 bonus with another virtue which would apply within the area of your "focus" is quite interesting.

Which reminds me (Serf's Parma), has any one spent time comparing Potent Magic with the Rustic Magi's Spell Foci?

I assume that you mean potent rather than puissant?

My hope was to provide other virtues that were comparable to potent so that the group could choose the most thematically appropriate one from amongst them.

Hi,

That includes me!

Focus+Puissant Form+Puissant Technique+Affinity with Form+Affinity with Technique makes a great and simple starting point for a magus.

Why not just allow the second focus, rules notwithstanding?

Anyway,

Ken

Ok, I have a somewhat contrarian view.

Magical foci are great, no doubt, but I think, for flavor, Potencies give a more "wing of bat, eye of newt" feel to things. Foci is more "Ohhh.. he's a duck magus, or wind magus, or a blue flower magus." But that is just my view.

As for the initiation of Foci, I would simply say that a mystery cult (not the character) would choose whether to replace the Virtue or add to it based on thier needs and plans. To continue the example of the Confraterity of Roland, they would probably add Potency instead of replacing the focus for the simple reason they add another voting money/vis-making swordsmith without losing other power available on call. No political of "mission" needs compromised.

A spirit-based cult, for example, might have no problem replacing a focus (and counting it as an Ordeal). The reason they breath is to learn the deeper Mysteries of spirit magic and care about little else. So the iron/wolf/fire/duck magus wants to learn about spirits? The he must be committed! No diversions! Not for him are the petty distractions of bits of rust/feral dogs/cook-fires/ducks! If he loves those so much, then clearly he does not belong to the Initiated!

The problem lies in when a cult exists to make it's members more generally powerful with or without a real common theme. The Cult of Mercurian Munchkins ( :smiling_imp: ) would then add whatever power it could and be very careful about sacrifices of power. Even in this case, however, I would not allow another focus. In this case, I would argue that such a group would be more inclined to other power virtues like Flawless Magic or Elemental Magic or the like.

I like the alternative presented by Erik. I think they work well with "friendly" cults without making the initiate too distorted from the original theme.

-K!

Verticius is wise. I like his way the most - lose the old focus or gain another virtue according to the cult's motivation and needs.

In terms of power, aren't the new options a bit more powerful than Potent Magic? They also lack the potency's unique flavor, IMO. So I'd prefer just leaving the rules as they are. But the suggested rule isn't game-breaking, so if you want to use them - more power to ya :slight_smile:

Potency can add the +3/+6 bonus and magic theory to a spell casting roll. Furthermore they can invent spells to give others a bonus equal to their magic theory. Of the four new virtues only the life linked /life boost virtue offers a bonus that large and none of them could be used to help someone else. I didn't intend for these virtues to be more powerful than potent magic.

As for them lacking the feel, that's the whole point!! They're supposed to each feel quite different. The inspiration was that potent magic isn't always appropriate.