An expedition to Italy Spring 1230

"There are many secrets in the world, but one doesn't always go look for them. Sometimes they come to you."

Fiore's demeanor is friendly, but he's not about to share his experiences with magic with a stranger he knows nothing about.

"Risks are something I do like to take, but not every risk is worth taking, though getting out of here, and into Lombardy would be a risk worth taking. I have seen the street magic, I do not believe in magic."

The man-at-arms nods as he listens.

"You might need to unsee something then. I will have your oath that you keep what you see secret to your grave."

The man spits into his palm and extends his hand toward Fiore.

Having already seen more than wanted in some cases, but curious to see what secret this man had, coupled with the fact that Fiore was never really much prone to keep to oaths diligently, except with Bartomeus, who had a knack of unearthing his secrets, he agrees.

Fiore spits into his palm, and shales the man's hand.

The man at arms shakes the offered hand and then sits back against the wall of the cell.

"When it gets dark, I have an idea. I'll need you to help me with it."

The man folds his arms across his chest, closing his eyes. "You can call me Sergeant."

informational point- Guotmann has met and dealt with Fredrick II's troops before and is fully aware that these are imposters.

@silveroak Couple questions:

How many guards does Guotmann think are here? Looks like it was two who stopped Fiore.

Did Guotmann's caravan get away? Or are some of them being tortured and roasted?

The caravan got away, everyone being tortured and roasted was already here when you arrived. In fact it would seem the same people are being tortured and roasted as when you arrived here 1 day ago.

In the total camp there are probably 20 men at arms that look like some caricature of a saracen if you believed Saracens were half demonic..

Fiore will wait patiently till the man at arms wants to try and break free. Unless one of the guards comes close, and he can try and attempt to steal the keys from him.

The guard comes by with dinner- a red meat that does not look like any cut of steak anyone recognizes. The keys however might be within grasp as he hands over the food.

Fiore will jump to his feet, and move towards the guard, ready to accept the offered dinner, with a smile on his face, and his hands ready to try and make a grab for the keys.

OOC Rolled 11 on Legerdemain, not counting any bonus he might get from Luck, and am spending a Confidence to boost it to 14.

Fiore manages to snatch the keys from an apparently oblivious guardsman as he takes the plate of food from him.

There is still guard stationed nearby to watch the prisoners near the door to the cell.

"That was a handy bit of work," says the Sergeant quietly from where he rests. "We might get out of here after all."

Fiore smiles at the Sergeant, but keeps quiet.

The guard outside looks in "You need to eat your food, we didn't cook that meat for you to waste it."

Fiore blanches, but does taste a bit of the 'meat'. He does tell the guard "We did have a good meal shortly before we got caught, so we're not too hungry, but we're grateful for you taking the time to feed us."

The guard grins "tender, wasn't she?" then walks back to his post laughing obscenely.

The sergeant offers only a grim look to the guard, taking nothing of the food. When the guard goes back to his post, Guotmann looks over at his cellmate.

"These aren't Frederick's soldiers. Not even sure they are Saracens. Best for us to just get away and alert the local Lord or priest," he suggests in a low whisper.

"If they aren't Frederik's soldiers, or even Saracens, what do you think they are?"

"Nothing good," says the Sergeant quietly. "Nothing good at all." He looks over toward the guard and then back.

"We need to get away from here soon. Here's the thing. I have … a gift. And I think I can create a distraction for that guard that should give you time to unlock the door and get out of here. I'll need you to lift up me to that window there." The sergeants eyes look up to the window.

Fiore looks at the sergeant, his head reaching not much higher than the sergeant's waist "I can try, but am not sure how much I can help in that department."