Anulus Connectens: Hector of Tremere

Regarding "Shiver me Timbers"...It's been discusses at length before whether a ship should be affected with T:Str or if T:Ind (with sufficient Size mod) is better.

Structure affects the entire ship, and everything in it - however many effects (such as this particular one) only affects the ship itself. Then why not T:Ind?

I always got the impression modest ships were size +7, and larger ships were size +8 or +9 so would need T:Individual +3 size modifiers, so would work out the same as T:Structure anyway. If you have convincing examples of ship size from RAW or have cunning calculations that show you need less size modifiers than that, maybe T:Ind would work as well.

I like T:Structure for spells affecting ships or buildings as it uses a straightforward guideline from the core rulebook and so bypasses a lot of argument and calculation.

I've remembered why "Direct the Marine Predator" is so named - "Direct the Land Predator" would only cover up to size +4, as non-magical land animals don't get larger than a rhino or elephant, both of which are size +4. Sharks and whales can reach much bigger sizes, so the marine version for Hector has to have extra size.

Continuing my collection of Hector's accomplishments so that I feel better about advancing him, here are his enchanted devices (just 2?)

Hector has created the following lesser enchanted device however when he created the device he made several copies of it.

Hector's talisman is a simple staff of Walnut
(Is this correct? only a single component?)

Hector’s Talisman has the following attunements opened:
+4 control things at a distance
+4 destroy things at a distance
+4 affect dead wood
+3 affect living wood
+4 mind

and it has the following enchantments:

Why? Why does Hector want to turn fires into bush-shaped fires 12 times a day? I don't see the motivation.

Hector's talisman deliberately looks like a mundane military officers' baton - I was looking for symbols of office used by admirals and this came up as one. He has the Gentle Gift and deliberately tries to pass as a powerful ship captain rather than as a wizard. This is why it doesn't have flashy components.

Re: turning fires into bushes - Hector has a Study Requirement but also gets a Study Bonus - in order to get as much benefit from Rego and various forms, he has enchantments to allow him control over his environment. The one to animate wooden objects and plants allows him a lot of labour saving and study bonuses for Re and He. The turning fires into bushes helps with Ig and He. "Rearrange the room" is to establish mastery over the visual appearance of his vicinity, allowing study of Re and Im (and handily disguising things).
With time, I would probably have invented even more ridiculous things to control Hector's environment and prove his mastery over the area, partly for Study Bonus and partly for show. Actual uses that might be useful in a scenario...who knows?

Starting the new period then Hector has already spent 2 seasons on the transformation effect in the familiar bond and he's obligated to spend two seasons on longevity rituals. That would make an even year except that he dedicated a season in the 61-75 period to longevity rituals. That means to get an even year he should spend one more season in the lab.

Here's a spell that Hector and Pisces will craft in that season.

Hector's team should be able to generate a lab total of 127 (127- ish, Sarose is not complete but even using Picses instead of the maga they can get over 126) for the longevity rituals for Sarose and himself, providing a bonus of 26 to aging rolls.

Greetings all, lurker on this thread.

Noticed that Hector has Faerie blood, which gives a -1 to aging, but it hasn't been accounted for in any of the rolls that I saw, might have saved an aging point here or there, at least kept the youngish looks longer.

Nice thread, by the way!

I've now got more ideas for lab work than I think Hector will be able to do, but in the spirit of trying I'm going to leave him five more years for projects. That means he'll have 9 years for study.

Darkwing has previously separated his arts from his abilities in order to account for his study bonus. I'll do the same.

4 years of abilities, 120 exp
magic theory to 7 65 (his magic theory was pretty weak for a magus of his age)
profession shipbuilder at 1 5 (he can spont the rego craft spells necessary, let's get Hector the Knowledge needed to build ships)
organization lore House Tremere at 2 15 (He's ambitious, he want's to know his house)
finesse to 7 35 (His rego score is phenominal, this is a worthwhile investment)

5 years of arts with study bonus 38 xp per year 190 xp

40 xp in rego to net 60 from his affinity and raise his rego to 30 +1 xp. If his study bonus environment is sufficient to get him to 28, with the addition of the burning bushes from the last period it should be enough to get him to 30 now.
31 xp in Herbam to get to 16
27 in creo to get to 14
27 in muto to get to 14
10 in ignem to get to 10
29 in Aq to get to 15
23 to get intellego to 12

I just raised what I expect to use, to this point Hector hasn't concentrated on 2 strong techniques and 2 strong forms like the Tremere chapter says for duelists. I kept on the same path concentrating on Hector doing the work needed to become the Admiral his house thinks that they want.

As long as I'm doing experience I'll do the experience for Pisces as well. He has 9 years at 25 xp per year for 225 xp

Magic Theory to 7 for 35
Artes Liberales to 9 for 105 (Astrological Inceptions here we come :smiley: )
Carouse to 2 for 10
Faerie lore to 4 for 20
Magic lore to 4 for 20
Divine lore to 1 for 5

With most of the relevant arts for what I want to invent raised by 2, and the magic theories of both Hector and Pisces raised by 2, the lab totals for a lot of what I hope to do will be raised by 8. I suspect that this will be plenty.

Yes, a fish is going to perform experimental philosophy!! (If he has time)

Hector has 20 seasons for lab work, here are the first 4.

Hector wants to be able to lead a fleet of Tremere ships wherever they're needed. It behooves him to be able to control the weather. While I'm partial to doing unique spells for everything I just can't come up with a justification for not going with Gathering of the Stormy Might (ReAu 40) from the core book. Despite its name, it can be used to both gather and disperse storms and it can be learned in a season from lab notes without any assistance from Pisces.

The second and third seasons are going to be spent on this spell

the final season is used for this spell (Pisces help is unnecessary this season as well)

I figure that the parts of a single ship qualify as a standard group target. I used the +5 strength from the Rego Terram spell Unseen Servant but I'm not thrilled with it. If anyone sees a better rationale for a lower strength please let me know.

4 more seasons

It seems pretty likely that Hector would primarily lead merchant fleets rather than military fleets, if Hector or the Tremere as a whole have a need to deal with someone else's naval power, it probably won't be a long term event. Thus this lesser enchanted device:

With an early riser routine Hector and Pisces can get an applicable lab total of 60. Hector makes a device because he's probably got better things to do than load and unload ships. The following spell Hector invents when he wants things to move even more quickly:

Hector invents this in a single season with no assistance from Pisces

Once again thinking that Hector will want to be able to deal with large numbers of ships rather than just one he'll spend two seasons develop this one to save someone else's ship when it is having problems. (I thought that the covenant already had a similar spell or device but I didn't find it).

It's overkill, but Hector didn't have the lab total to do a version I liked in a single season so he went with level 50 because he was using two seasons anyway.

12 seasons left

4 more seasons. I'm hoping that the lack of responses are because I'm posting spells and effects that are well within the borders of what's described in the rules. I'm sorry, I'll try and do worse.

But probably not with these (Hector's needs, or at least what I imagine them to be, seem to require magic that is more conventional than most)

I see Hector as very commonly having a need to cast spells on other ships. Up to this point I've had him develop range sight spells to do this. That leads to higher level spells and leaves him the problem that his sponts are not, as a rule, going to be able to reach other ships without help. Hector decides to use his amazing Rego score to develop a different way to handle this challenge and learn Evil Eye (projects page 80) at level 45 from a lab text. For those not in the know, Evil Eye is a duration Diameter arcane tunnel spell that works at range sight and can carry spells up to one magnitude higher than its level.

During the second season he'll work on being able to see things. His lab total for Creo Ignem is 49, he can use an early riser routing to get it to 50

The third season he'll continue making spells that allow him to see other ships. Hector's Muto, (Intelligo), Mentem, (Auram) total is 52. That lets him make this spell

Am I the only one who wishes that the MuMe requirements on page 114 for multiple target magical sense spells were errated into non-existence? Can anyone speak in their defense, or is my loathing universal?

Fourth season Hector will learn yet another spell to help him keep track of an entire fleet. This spell is "To See as through a Plethron Distant" from Magic of Hermes p 101. This spell lets Hector move his vantage point for vision to any location he can see. Hector often uses the spell to get a view from a mile or more in the air looking down on his ships and their surroundings. He names it Vantage point of the Angels, but it would be silly to give it a different name for our purposes. I had Hector invent the spell because I'm a little hesitant to say that lab texts are available for spells shown to be the inventions of the mages in that book.

Two more free seasons for Pisces during this year, 8 seasons left

He can't get a similar spells bonus from Leap of Homecoming because a similar spell with a closely related effect must have the same set of spell parameters and this changes both range and target parameters.

His lab total is:
Rego 30
Cor 13
Int 3
Magic theory (rego specialization) 8
aura 3
lab general quality 2
lab rego bonus 8

total of 67, with pisces it would be 78. With one season of the nocturnal lab schedule they'll get it done in a season.

Seven seasons left

In one season with Pisces

In one season by himself

Five seasons left

Anyone still reading?

Trying, yeah. Not checking all the spells

Still reading, you have not violated the character concept yet and the spells don't seem controversial.

Sorry about that, my ideas for Hector's labwork really were painfully non-controversial.

If Pisces assuming the form of a baboon and casting horoscopes isn't a concern, then I don't think I have anything sufficiently drastic to upend your character concept.

Hector spends a season learning Eyes of the Eagle InIm 25 from a lab text. I think this is the final thing I'll do for allowing him to see other ships and target them with his magic. because he has extra lab total he'll also pick up Palm of Hearing InIm 10 from Through the Aegis page 80 (If I recall the spell correctly, I'll need to double check it when I get home).

He'll then spend two seasons developing the following spell to allow his ships to move beneath the surface of the sea. If Hector had Pisces' help he could get it done in a single season if he also gained a few points from an in unusual lab schedule. Hector has already employed lab schedules twice this period, and I don't imagine that at this point in his life Hector is under tremendous pressure to produce results quickly. Granted, he is very ambitious but it would probably serve his ambition better to take two seasons with significant time off each season, then spend the time he has outside of the lab writing letters and greasing palms to further his interests rather than crafting more spells.

The spell controls the water surface so it isn't level and also keeps an open bubble around the target ship. The caster gets a ship as a submarine. Does this work? Is it clear?

Two seasons left.

Hector has in this period only crafted one device suitable for taking the covenant's ship to new non-watery places. He'll use the previous spell to help craft another.

I kept with the aquam target size thinking that if the other device made the ground act like water the device could target it like water. Does that seem problematic to anyone?

For Hector's last season another spell that I see as important to him is a ward aganst faeries at target structure that he could cast on a ship.

Not real creative for a last spell and the name... well I'd love a more poetic suggestion.

Hector has a casting total of 43 + a die roll and a penetration skill of 4, so he'd get the best use from a level 35 spell where it would block creatures of up to might 20 and he'd be likely to get in the neighborhood of penetration 20. Level 35 is also a comfortable level for him to invent in a season.

He's out of seasons for now but I had hoped to have Hector develop an item to help with the transportation of animals by sea. I figured that horses were too big for convenient travel. I had thought of turning them into rats (which somehow always survive sea voyages) or tiny sea otters for more safety. Yet it was outside of his strongest arts and his magic theory of 7 put too great a limit on how much benefit he could gain from moving to a device.

I also had looked in to Rego Craft magic for the building and repair of ships, including a spell for the preparation (seasoning ?) of lumber so that it was ready to be used in ship construction. While the transmutation of Horses, Cows, and Pigs was on the difficult side, rego craft magic was too easy for him. Mystic Carpenter from Covenants is an adequate spell and really Hector's Rego score is high enough He can spont most any craft magic spell he'd need without too much trouble.

Pisces has 9 seasons left unaccounted for.

He will use two of these seasons to construct a laboratory for his use with astrology (Art and Academe page 70). The covenant might be presumed to still have the laboratory that Andreva abandoned at the end of the first fifteen year period but it seems more likely that this has been repurposed during the intervening 70+ years in fact I think that the only argument for its continued existence is that it serves a purpose to the covenant (perhaps for visiting magi or apprentices or something) which would preclude it being occupied by Pisces.

The covenant has a quary and it has two magi with posses both exceedingly high Rego Teram totals and formidable finesse scores. The presence of Hector or Andreva makes the creation of an additional room or building is (as I see it) a non-issue. (Or do you think that some amount of arctecture skill would be a prerequisite?).

Although I don't see statement to this effect (it should be in there someplace) it seems obvious that Pisces should use his artes Liberales Score instead of his magic theory score in the creation of the laboratory. He'll start with the following virtues and flaws.

huge armillary sphere
greater feature major structure virtue
also greater focus: major structure flaw

opening roof matched with a pool that reflects the star
greater feature major structure virtue
also greater focus: major structure flaw

Pisces' lab also presumably has the benefit of Janus's covenant wide enchantments and could use Andreva's chest of laboratory equipment but I don't think that any of that would be relevant to doing astrology work.

Size +0
Refinement 0
General Quality -4
Upkeep 0
Safety 0
Warping 0
Health 0
Aesthetics +4
specialization in astrology +14

While more optimization is possible, this lab already seems unseemly in it's numbers. I think it would be in poor taste to take it further.

Thoughts?

According to page 120 of Covenants, a lab may only have one Focus.

Also, can you give a bonus to Astrology, especially a +14 bonus? The only other Ability that allows for improvement is Teaching, and the Teaching specialization is explicitly limited to +3.