Anulus Connectens: Magi of Hermes Covenant

The overall situation (and storylines had this been an actual saga) of Anulus Connectens year 31-45 is as follows:

*Before Anulus Connectens was founded and built the area was largely unused by the mundanes since the forested hills were once known to have been plagued by the mighty dragon Kovadus. Bordered by a mighty river formed by runoff from the hills were the lands once raided by the dragon After about a century of not being sighted the mundanes dared settle the fertile lowlands, ruled by local Baron Kargus. After a generation or two of slow development the costal village and the indland settlements prospered.
*Subsequently the covenant of Anulus Connectens was founded in the hills and largely kept to themselves in the previously inhospitable terrain. As the magi worked they dealt peacefully with the mundanes and developed several routes through the hills giving a moderate rise in the trade and traveling in the region. The magi also hunted and dealt with some fairly minor beasts and wyrms over time. Some 30 years later things started to happen.
*The young and ambitious magus Naris having learned about the old dragon Kovadus set off to find the presumably treasure laden cave. Drawn in by the hospitality of Janus' Mercer house and unnoticed among the many transient magi and redcaps Naris conveniently avoided notice and also deliberately did not ask the locals advice. He and his small group set off in secrecy.
*Some weeks later Narvis returned, alone and terribly lacerated and burnt. He tells a story of being ambushed just as he thought he had found the treasure cave, by what sounds like the well.known wyrm of the locale. Only several of them working more cleverly than seen before. As he is nursed back to health reports of farmers missing, buildings damaged, and livestock killed start flowing in, sounding like an uncharacteristic rise in intensity of wyrm raids.
*In the year after Narvis' visit wyrm attacks persist and political forces start to move against Anulus Connectens. The magi divide their attention between dealing with the wyrm attacks, repairing mundane detsruction and loss of resources, and dealing with accusations and Hermetic cases. Senior magi from rival covenant jealous of Anulus Connectens' succes and newly attained position form the political opposition and direct these cases from the shadows.Not only do the magi need to deal with demands that the covnenant stops bringing attention to supernatural situations like a dragon on the loose and unwanted mundane attention, some also hold the covenant responsible for Narvis' situation, his near death and the death of his companions. As the situations are dealt with locally the cabal is exposed and the instigators identified, but a range of political puppets of unknown number and power keep on appearing.
*The wyrms appear in greater numbers and more aggressive than ever before. Although of animal intelligence they are quite clever and determined and are discovered to be hunting livestock to bring to the cave where their sire Kovadus is slowly awakening. And Kovadus' hunger is great; he lusts for gold, blood, cattle, and eventually - as history tells the magi - a fair maiden. This maiden he will transform temporarily into a dragon with whom he will sire a new brood of wyrms and subsequently devour the maiden.
*The wyrms are defined as Might 20, Size +3, fire breath +15 dam. They are the recently hatched brood of Kovadus, any which survive may in time grow to become true dragons.
*The dragon Kovadus is very old, Might 45, Size +8, fire breath +25 dam. He is intelligent and research shows he can be negotiated and reasoned with, but at times he is blinded by his insatiable hunger and greed and when in this state he is no more than a wild animal.
*The more sociable magi try to deal with the mundanes and avoid panic or poor decisions, but Baron Kargus becomes impatient and mobilizes his forces. Unfortunately this raises the wyrm activity further and eventually Kovadus leaves his lair.
*Kovadus does not attack Baron Kargus, but his sighting is a grave warning about imminent disaster. After light raiding - which by this huge dragon is way more destructive than the wyrms' attacks ever were - Kovadus flies across the sea and kidnaps the fair maiden Evelyn. This young lady is Baron Kargus' niece and betrothed to the great heroic knight Harrick, son and heir to neighboring Baron Herfeld. As the dragon flies to his lair in Baron Kargus' mountains Sir Harrick curses Kovadus' name and swears to save her at all costs.
*Sir Harrick mobilizes a great host of his father's soldiers and sets sail across the waters to confront Baron Kargus and demand his help in rescuing Lady Evelyn. He holds the Baron responsible and is willing to fight him as well.
*All the while Anulus Connectens' political opponents smell even further trouble and demand the covenant cleans up what is allegedly their own mess.

-How ever will the magi of Anulus Connectens solve that situation? Let's see, shall we?

Very interesting. Would it be too late for a magus more or?

I'm open to one more. You'd have to decide if you wanted to catch up or start behind though.
By starting behind, I mean that you might want to decide that the 'shared year 15' is your year 0, etc.

Or you could just catch up.

That's just my opinion though, don't know about the rest.

I'm open for one more. If the last two are OK as well hen PM me with an email to use for our internal communication. It isn't used much mostly to begin with but perhaps still to coordinate the situation for the next period.

I'm fine with one more joining in, more people to deal with the dragon while I try to deal with mundanes.

ROF happens to be known by both Tellus and myself, local dude, we played Ars Magica together for quite some time a few years ago.

I'm fine with another. Andreva's old lab is open after year 24 or so.

It seems Ronni designed a Guernicus maga who retroactively has been in the covenant but with little impact. Sp she would probably want her own lab from the get go. I've given him some guidance as to how we do things. I'll also add him to the mailinglist, in case we have some internal discussion before going on-list.

I know I may be ahead, but we should start looking for ideas for a theme for years 46-60. Or should we ask the Forum for ideas?

I've been plotting years 46-60 with Andreva under the assumption that the issue was demons. It was an earlier suggestion. I'm fine for changing things. Having no Perdo makes demons particularly challenging.

Did we discus this? Because the idea I had, which I deliberately did not mention in case we wanted to ask the Forum users for ideas, was demons. In the wake of the recent monster attacks and mundane conflict something dark starts to fester, a growing corruption among the villagers and nobility, partly brought on by the infusion of wealth and resources. So one of the tools we had to deal with the crisis not sparks the next one. This brings in not only demons but also diabolists and an organized, infernal cult.
I'm totally for demons...wait, that did not come out right... :wink:

Demons come in 2 types:

1. Some are Immortals that have fallen prey to their in-apt impulses and now glory therein. These should be given a new chance to reincarnate and better themselves, before they cause harm to others.
  2. The rest are Adulterations, and need to be resolved as soon and as cleanly as possible, before they cause harm to others.

It came up briefly back on page 4.

I like this comment.

Demons are a-okay with me :slight_smile:

Then I'd better report yours and Christian's characters for both being in favour of demons. "Dear Exarch, is there a contingency plan for what to do if two of your covenant are dealing with demons....and one of them is a Guernicus?"

I agree that Satan and all his little wizards may well plague a covenant of reasonably powerful Hermetic magi.

"Yes. It's in the manual. Marked 27c."

"Dear senior Quaesitor, is there a contingency plan for when our resident Tremere magus is so suspiciously opposed to demons that he is obviously trying to shift focus away from his own diabolical acts?"

Maybe we should ask Hector: "Have you finally stopped worshiping demons, yes or no?"

Now that Ronni has worked lightning fast Saoirsé is up to speed with the year +45 only Hector remains.

I think we can start to toss around ideas for year 46-60, the theme it seems is Demons!

What then, is the story?
And what do each of the magi intend to do?

Brainstorming over ideas:

Anulus Connectens has become quite influential and powerful. This attracts the attention of all kinds of creatures, Infernal as well. With such an easy lifestyle, due to many homely items, people grow complacent and time is spent more with rife intrigue and petty strife - a breeding ground for demons of sloth, jealousy and anger. This is very much an internal story, with hidden cults, "The Enemy within", dangers to areas dear to the Magi - apprentices, their library, Vis cahes etc.

Dragons may be powerful, but when that dragon happens to be the pet of something much larger, devious and sinister, you know you should have laid sleeping dragons lie. The Demon Prince of Dragons, whose domain ranges from the frost serpents of the North to the Scirocco Wyrms of the south, is not happy with Anulus Connectens killing off/pacifying one of his favourite broods. Equal parts primal fury and honeyed words, this demon offers seemingly innocuous bargains to stay his hand. If refused, he promises swift retribution

[Insert Mage's name]'s apprentice has found a curios casket on one of his/her excursions. Old, but wellkept, it is rather non-descript apart from a tarnished, nearly vanished inscription in Latin "Do Not Open Me". Intellego spells and mundane investigations offer little clue - it doesn't seem magic, but it feels odd. Not knowing what to do with it, the magi place it in safe storage. One night all awaken, their Parma breached. People are screaming and many accidents happen (breaking ceramics, falling from stairs etc). As the magi take stock, all the animals at the covenant are dead (Familiars survive), and all their covenfolk have gone blind. In the storage, the casket has been opened...

Anulus Connectens have been chosen to host their tribunal (this only works if Anulus is placed officially in one of the two tribunals it borders). Much glee and pride arises, enough to attract Infernal attention. Preparations take on a manic sheen and people become irrational and more and more unhinged. Investigations steer the magi in the direction of another covenant. What to do next? attack, declare wizard's war, stealth politics? Could their actions mean they loose the honours of hosting? Can they risk continue being the host?

Further ideas :slight_smile:

One of the grogs give birth to a seemingly normal child. Checked for the Gift nothing comes up. However a string of murders happen, and evidence places the child near the murders everytime. Is the child host to a malign influence?

A new priest is appointed to the nearest city/village. He is apt at sermons and soon have the entire parish enraptured. he is not the demonic one though - no the trouble starts when he uncovers pockets of Infernal influence and seeks advice from the "scholars". He is very persistent, and happens to be the nephew of a bishop. If turned away, he will rise the parish against the Infernal, and innocents will be swept along. If met with open arms, he is intelligent enough to recognise the magic of the covenant.

The covenant's Vis sources turn infernal one by one, and the grogs report seeing what they best describe as faeries in shackles pouring some kind of dust over the sources while they weep. What is going on? have the Infernal taking the Fey hostage? Will they move against the Magic realm next?

these are all small thing, which could be bound in to major plotlines :slight_smile:

How far are everyone?
I've just finished the fourth block (years 45-60), with no really new effects, aside from a single effect invested into the familiar bond.
I'm expecting to hold off posting it for a bit though.