Any 11th Century Scottish bishop experts?

Folks,

If I'm reading this right, there was one Scottish Bishopric (never seen that term before) in Scotland in the 11th century. This talks about the bishop of the Scots.

I know I can do what I want for my saga, but I am curious. Do you think it likely that there were other bishops in Scotland? it's implied, but I get the feeling that no one really knows for sure. This kind of surprises me as I would have thought Scotland was Catholic enough, for it to be a lot of territory for one bishop. Feelings about this? I know this is not your normal Ars Magica question, but figured if anyone had thoughts it would be here. :innocent:

Many! They are easy to find, too! Start with the bishops of the Scots or of St. Andrews, follow with the bishops of Glasgow, the bishops of Dunkeld, the bishops of Mortlach and Aberdeen.
Archbishoprics and suffraganates are more complicated to track, because they changed a lot - and York and Nidaros claimed authority in Scotland too.

Does that help?

If you look specifically for bishops of the 11th century before the synod of Sutri 1046, keep in mind, that even the Irish bishoprics became territorially defined only during the 2nd half of the 11th century.

1 Like

Also look up Celtic Christianity- though they considered themselves Catholic the monastic system o Scotland and Ireland had some early issues accepting the authority of papal delegates. Certainly resolved by the 13th century, but a good source on celtic christianity will include a number of early bishops in terms of whom people were not getting along with...
the Norman invasion of 1066 and subsequent invasions of surrounding countries (especially wales) was a significant part of this transformation...
Hiberno-Scottish mission - Wikipedia

2 Likes

thank you both!