Apprentice Limit

This does not apply, if you can't open the Arts of an apprentice at all. And nobody can open the Arts of an un-Gifted redcap apprentice. See already Apprentice Limit .

Cheers

Redcaps are legalyl magi of the Order. They and their apprentices are subject to the same laws.

I'll stipulate that no Gifted magus would steal an apprentice from a Redcap, and House Mercere likely carefully controlled the training of Redcaps

This is true.

This is literally true, but can be as misleading as saying, that the POTUS and a marine are subject to the same laws. Does the latter get weekly CIA briefings?

To find out, what the Peripheral Code says, you need to read ArM5 more carefully.

The paragraph you quote is part of the subchapter Apprentices of ArM5 chapter 8 Laboratory.

So this paragraph summarizes Peripheral Code, but it is not itself Peripheral Code.
The meaning of apprentice in it is determined by its position in the ArM5 chapter structure, and by the phrase I underlined: it is the Gifted apprentice of a Gifted magus.

Un-Gifted redcaps

'Similar' is different from 'same'. TMK there is no implication whatsoever in the books, that an un-Gifted redcap apprentice has the same rights to personal teaching by her parens as a Gifted Hermetic apprentice.

Cheers

It is also my point of view. Any law that discriminates between gifted and ungifted magi ultimately undermines house Mercer. In my reading, it is the house who enforces the fair treatment of its own apprenties.

In this manner, the smallest leap house Mercer can make is how they consider that an ungifted apprenticeship starts, then treat it under the same laws.

At least, this is how they are treated in my saga.

This is a reasonable treatment of redcap apprentices, if House Mercere feels under continuous pressure by their Gifted sodales in your campaign.

It does not contradict any Peripheral Code I know of either.

Cheers

This is rather misleading, and actually quite incorrect. POTUS is not subject to UCMJ in the same way as a marine, either. Many more of those laws apply to service members than to the CinC.

And there is no implication to the contrary. It's funny, One Shot, you reject context when it is brought to you, but feel free to offer it when it serves your argument. Yes, the section I quoted comes from the Laboratory chapter, but the heading is under the Apprentices heading and then the subheading Training Your Apprentice. The section on Appretices, and the subheading on training the apprentice mentions very little about lab work. Only under Fleshing Out Your Apprentice does it talk about the basic benefit of the Apprentice's INT+Magic Theory being added to the magus's lab total. This section could have been placed in multiple other Chapters within the text. So the context of it being within the Laboratory Chapter of the core text doesn't imply anything, especially when one considers that it's about the only mention of Apprentices and how they exist within Ars in the entire book. One can reasonably infer, then, that Apprentices of Redcaps are treated, under Lex Hermetica, the same way as Apprentices of Magi. Of course, troupes are able to revise this as necessary to their sagas, but there is nothing written one way or another, and the lack of statement within the RAW suggests more strongly to me, that Apprentices to Redcaps are treated the same as apprentices to magi, with all of the rights and privileges thereto.

The paragraph is in the Laboratory chapter. Arguing that you would like to have it elsewhere doesn't help you.

You would have to also infer, that a redcap

Which is utter nonsense.

Cheers

Mistake. I never said I would like to have it elsewhere, I said it could be elsewhere.

I could have left that part out of my quote, but my original point to Marko, was that there is a PC ruling on the disposition of apprentices. It could be very well be that the Virtue Well Traveled is initiated in that first season of Redcap training. The mechanics of Redcaps have been largely ignored by the line, with respect as to how they are made, except by the description of the Redcap virtue in the core book and other virtues mentioned in Houses of Hermes: True Lineages. However, if one does rely upon True Lineages in one's saga, in any way, it should be noted that the introduction of Redcaps was controversial, at first. The idea of inducting mundanes into the Order was scandalous. There was a Tribunal, and Trianoma argued that these should be accepted as magi, under the Code and her argument was successful. It is the right and duty of House Mercere to induct mundanes into the Order as Redcaps. Further, it is hinted at, at many times within the books, that the House takes great pains not to offend Gifted magi, rock the boat, so to speak, or do anything that might lead to a loss of status within the Order. Redcaps have the right to vote, but they do not, and magical Merceres tend not to vote, either, to not offend their unGifted House-mates. It stands to reason that the House would take a dim view of any individual Redcap deciding he could, because the PC supposedly only applies to the Gifted, induct 16 of his sons in daughters into a Redcap Apprenticeship simultaneously, whether or not the PC is specific as to Redcaps.

Does this make great story fodder? Undoubtedly. Is it sanctioned by the rules? The rules mechanics certainly allow teaching more than one person at a time. Is it sanctioned on the setting? No. The setting lays down the laws within the Order for magi in a broad sense. It describes Redcaps as magi, and gives them all of the rights and privileges, and it also binds them to the restrictions of the law. Can Redcaps scry with impunity? No. Can they murder a magus without declaring Wizard's War, without repercussions? No. Should they be able to induct more than one Apprentice at a time, into the House? IMO, no, they are bound by the same laws as magi are, even if they don't have all of the metaphysical muscle of the Gift.

This is the point I'm making since Apprentice Limit . ArM5 p.106, HoH:TL p.52f and Apprentices p.32ff refer to Gifted apprentices of Gifted Hermetic magi.

Defining House Mercere's approach to redcap apprentices is a separate undertaking - but of course the House knows the Peripheral Code, as it applies to the Gifted apprentices.

What House Mercere concludes from this is campaign specific:

• If it goes for highest efficiency of House operation,
    then training of apprentices mostly on the job, plus some study from lectures and books, is the way to go.
  • If it needs to deflect specific pressure of many other Houses,
    it might have to oblige their busy redcaps, most of whom are not teachers, to allocate extra seasons to formally teach their apprentices one-on-one.

Cheers

Blah, blah, blah. Very well, One Shot, you're right, as always.