Ars Magica 5E: Et Potestatem Magnam... (3-4 Players)

Haters gonna hate, we all started somewhere.

Yeah, they are.

I think we've got like 3 people here who have shown interest, which is enough for me to run a game. However, I'm going to take a day or so to calm down, recollect myself, and see where I'm at on Monday.

So I've calmed down a bit, and I had a talk with myself. I need to realize that I'm not perfect, and that not everybody is going to agree with me or what I want to do here. That doesn't excuse the personal insult/attack, but the rest of it I need to let go.

With that said, I am still going to run this. There is enough interest where I will send the email to get a forum generated, at which point I'll get the rules up. I am going to make a few adjustments to what I originally put forward, not to mention that I will be eliminating the wandering regio portion of Semita Errabunda; we don't need it to connect all over Europe as traveling could present some RP opportunities too.

Once that's up and I've got the rules for creating Magi up, I'll post in here again so the 3-4 of you who expressed interest can get to working on your magi. I say Magi because, above all, I want them to be the center of this story. Yes, you will be creating Companions and Grogs, but they are always going to be secondary characters here.

Anyhow...stay tuned!

I would be interested in participating and help out. Don't worry about the haters. That is just Ars Magica culture. Been that way since the 90's Berklist. I should know. I am the one who crippled that list with the largest flamewar they have ever seen.

But anyways, I would like to participate by playing a Flambeau magus from Valencia, now migrated to wherever we are here.

And I will take all the help I can get. :slight_smile:

That means we have the following individuals interested in pursuing this game:

• Marko Markoko
  • Sir_Swindle
  • Pralix
  • ironboundtome

Me, too, please.

And you too. :slight_smile:

Hi,

Congrats on sticking with it. You will certainly get things wrong, but by not getting beaten down you'll certainly get some things right too. Some unsolicited advice:

• Be flexible with the players, right until the point you really don't want to. You have a good roster of players, imo, but even if you didn't, a GM does well to strive to give players what they want.... up to a point. You have a vision for the game too, you have aesthetics too, and you also get to have fun.

• AM rules are crazy complicated, and even veterans disagree and get things wrong. Don't worry about this! You have also attracted some rather experienced players, so feel free to ask for opinions, always keeping the final decision your own. And if you find yourself making up rules, it may be that you're doing something especially right rather than wrong.

• Nearly all online games fail. It says nothing about you or your qualities if this one does too.

• The AM setting and rules intrinsically have gaping plot holes, inconsistencies and other issues. As with Star Wars and D&D, a little bit of handwaving and suspension of disbelief go a long way. So run the game you want, and don't worry if it makes sense to everyone, because it won't. (D&D and Star Wars don't either, and that has hardly stayed their enduring fun and popularity.)

• FWIW, I totally endorse your decision to restrict the supplements allowed. It sets a tone for your game and keeps things simpler.

• Feel free to disinvite people disrupting your harmony. It's your game, after all. And if you think you're being ill-treated, you are probably right.

glhf

Anyway,

Ken

Awesome!

I'm considering a Jerbiton with an interest in mundane (and Magical) academics.

I'm going to throw one final note- of encouragement- here.
"would drive me nuts" does not mean "is wrong". You run your game- not every game is for everyone. Congratulations on sticking it out through your doubts, I wish you a good game and a good learning curve.

Looks like the game sub-forum is created. Very exciting!

That was fast. If I believed in omens, ....

...oh, I mean, I do.

Hi all!

If there’s space left, or someone drops out, I’d like to join up.

Thanks.

Yes, it has. I am currently in the process of putting up the threads necessary for character creation and the Covenant details. This may take me a bit longer than I'd like as I want to make sure I get all the requisite info up. Please bear with me as I get this done!

Your posted rules vary pretty significantly from your OP here.

The jump from,
"Anything beyond those three are ok, but I'd strongly ask that people give me a heads up so I can review things."
to
"Nothing outside this list will be considered."
seems like a pretty dramatic shift.

Some of your other text indicates that you are still going to look in other books, just not take major parts from them?

You will notice that I altered a few things once you start going through the rules and the FAQ. This was done to put everyone on the same playing level while at the same time not overwhelm anyone - especially myself - with the massive ruleset that exists. By limiting the books available, I can insure that we get down to playing sooner instead of me having to run all over the place and look stuff up every 5 minutes.

A lot of the character creation rules and the FAQ were written prior to my decision to limit to the books I've given, and as has been shown recently, I'm far from perfect. If you notice discrepancies, please ask in the De Moribus thread in the game forum.

And now, I'm off to practice the guitar!

And in case it's not clear, those who expressed interest can start creating characters and posting in the forum!

Is there space for one more? I'd like to join.

Thanks.

We've got 6 interested (including you), but nobody has started yet. I don't want to overwhelm myself with too many people, but I know I can handle other systems with up to 7 people. So I'll give taking 6 a shot...but you are the last one.

Just make new topics or post in the OOC?