Ars Magica Fifth Edition Iron Magus

No it's not yet full. You'll be the fifth person who's told me that they're in. On the other hand I'm not yet sure how or if I need to invite users into the actual game.

As someone pointed out to me in an email 27 + 15 is not equal to 43.

I've editied some of my previous posts here. The first event will last 16 years, not 15.

Great.

I've never played-by-post either, so I'll look to you for guidance (no pressure). :smiley:

Is there a specific thread where we can bat around character concepts? I'll definitely be playing a Bonisagus magus, and I know I want to play around with original research.

Are there any restrictions on Flaws, other than the story Flaws you mentioned? Initially, I'm thinking of Dwarf and Blatant Gift, for an easy 6 points of Flaws that won't come up much in the overall point of the saga. (Look at the Munchkin in me! I've learned a lot from my players.) I know that they would come up in the various narratives; is that the only place they'd appear?

Very cool. Thanks for starting this.

Matt

Those flaws are fine. I don't expect to be able to bring every flaw into the story. I would like to see at least one reelvant hermetic flaw in each characer that provides something that they can wow their fellow contestants by overcomming. Those who face greater obsticles will acheive greater victories.

I was hopeing that someone would play with the research rules. I'm not sure how practical a strategy it will be, but you've got my vote for showing good form in giving them a go (not that my vote actually matters, it's your fellow competitors that you need to impress).

I've already set up a charater creation discussion thread on the game forum.

Sorry to bug you, Erik.

I tried posting to the Iron Magus ooc game thread but was refused. Do you, as the creator, have to give me some kind of special access, or is that something I can do?

Matt

I honestly am not sure what needs to be done.

Have you gone to the usergroups tool (it's near the top of the screen on the right hand side) and joined the play by post group? I did this and I've been able to post but I also was the one who requested that the group be formed and I'm a spaminator so I've got moderator privleges anyway so that isn't saying much.

I (just) joined the play by post group, which says that I can post once I get the green light from the moderator, which I'm hoping is you.

Thanks for your patience.

Matt

i'm hoping that it's Wendy because I'm clicking around and I can find any way to give you the OK.

I sent an e-mail to Michelle this morning. I'll hopefully get this all cleared up by Monday.

I recieved a reply from Michelle. You'll just have to wait until your membership in the play by post user group is approved.

The problem I have Erik, is that it conflicts slightly.. the first bit in the verditius runes bit fits with the crafting rules ok (even if they didn't exist) at the time, in that you're making an item from raw materials, you use a craft skill applicable, and get the bonus to your lab total.

The important part is the next one though, and the fact that Verditius get to create impossible items and such.

"Verditius magi may also forge items from raw materials as part of the process of enchantment. In the first season, when opening an item for enchantment, the magus may shape the raw materials into an appropriate item. This does not require any Craft Ability, although most Verditius magi will use an Ability that they have, and the final form may be impossible to make by mundane means"

It was only when reading this again lately that I wonder if we were doing it wrong all along..

We were applying the + craft to lab total and +phil to S/M to all item making, whereas that seems to suggest that it only applies when making lesser items or similar, in which you don't spend a season of opening (and which would be made with the craft skill as normal)

Whereas, if you're making a greater invested device, you use verditius runes (and possibly because the above only affects ones you make with that method, -don't- get the +craft to lab total), but you get a discount on the vis needed to open, gains philosophae to the lab total, and doesn't actually require any crafting to make, as it's done purely with verditius magic.

.. Seems a bit weird really.. because.. ironically, because you're now having to use a season to actually -craft- lesser items beforehand, it's generally just as quick to make it a greater invested device with enough craft to bring it down to 1 vim to open, and then you've likely got some space left over for more stuff in there anyway..

... am I reading all that right?.. cause its a bit odd ^^

You make a compelling case. We'll ignore the crafting rules in city and guild for Verditious who are crafting their own items for enchantment.

The issue about crafting taking the character an additional season is particularly bothersome. So we won't use the rules.

I've got six players who've said that they're up for the challenge

Christopher Allen
Mark Barltrop
Scott David Orr
FluffySquirrel
Fireymonkeyboy
Matt Ryan

I'd like to hold off on accepting anyone else until these folks get rolling.

I'd appreciate an email (not a PM, I'll probably forget to check for one, sorry) if a space clears up, or if/when you've got everyone started and feel like some more. I wonder if my email address is currently shown on the forum, I'd better check.

Edit: Email option now available, good good.

Good luck to everyone playing, I think I'll have fun watching the results

Will do.