Ars Magica Mood Music

You are quite welcome :slight_smile:

I often use Bach's suites for lute. They are very light, and do not get in the way. I have the recording done by Christopher Parkening, and it's delicious.

Just bought Corvus Corax's Cantus Buranus II and Venus Vina Musica vis iTunes. I'll be looking forward to listening to them and incorporating them into the next "season" of Ars Magica that starts in November...

Led Zeppelin III and IV work well if you like classic rock music.

Mortiis (pre-2001 stuff) is a fun record to simply put on for background music. And sometimes it even syncs up eh?

"On the note of authenticity, I am generally in favor of it, but only to a strictly limited degree. In terms of music I couldn't care less: it's for mood, and no amount of "authenticity" can make a mood-killing song into an inspiring one."

I agree pretty much with this. The thing to remember about the development of 'mood' in music is that it wasn't really perfected until the Romantic era (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romantic_music) (19th century). Most 'authentic' music of the day centered around public festivals or religious occurrences (masses). So for a champagne trade fare, for example, authentic would be pretty useful. For high drama and such, there is very little in the repertoire of the period that would work as well as more modern pieces (including those that appear heavily influenced by medieval music).

Another obscure group to check out would be the Hampshire Consort.
google.com/url?sa=t&source=w ... HWVcfiupeQ\

Also Capella Alamire
unh.edu/music/alamire/index.html

Musicology studies of the period can get quite geeky.

The period, ars magica is happening, music had made some important steps. Originally, european music, at least as we know it, was music of the church: the gregorian choral, only a melody, no accompaniment, practiced by monks and believers in the service. There was profane music, yes. We have some text, we have a very few melodies, we have no records of accompaniments. In short: we donĀ“t really know, how the secular music of the middle ages sounded like. At least we know, that since the 9th century european music developed the special quality to be constructed by several parts (voices?). At the time of the official setting of ars magica, there exists one extraordinary first cultural highlight of middle-european musicculture, the so-called Notre-Dame-Epoche. The name derives of the church of Notre-Dame in Paris, where some composers wrote polyphonic music of never-heard complexity. At least two composers we know by name: Leonin and Perotin. This music we are able to reproduce more or less authentically today. I recommend the CD "Perotin", by the Hilliard Ensemble. But (again) we are not able to reproduce profane music of the middle ages authentically, because the written sources are very scarce and we know too less about it.

A very personal note: I studied music. Now I donĀ“t use mood music for roleplaying anymore. Mainly because itĀ“s an illusion, I canĀ“t believe in anymore.

Chiarina.

youtube.com/watch?v=tMXwluMcGrg
youtube.com/watch?v=AqJMVSnwg_Y
youtube.com/watch?v=X0z2qM5tUNw
youtube.com/watch?v=2tXrgheW8jk
youtube.com/watch?v=bIovJhRVSUE
youtube.com/watch?v=dZADFIHrOiU
youtube.com/watch?v=POPSUjWYIOU
youtube.com/watch?v=jmpfQYARVxI
youtube.com/watch?v=nQNhbi9KZfU
youtube.com/watch?v=u5BobwJf6wI
youtube.com/watch?v=x77Ry70D7M8

I have bought 3 corvus Corax albums.

Cantus Buranus II: Very good. Assimilating this into my playlists as I listen more and more.
Venus Vina Musica: also very good.

Both have lots of drum and pipes, often giving a martial feel, though there is a wide range of 'feels' across the albums.

I also bought Viator. This one seems to get a little more modern, and thus far I like it less.

I also managed to track down the Toronto Consort's "Way of the Pilgrim" - very nice, but a little too much singing for me. I'll still be using a number of the tracks, however.

I've also made a "Ars Exotica" playlist: I'll be using this for the trip to Jerusalem coming up in my game. Way of the Pilgrim, some of the middle-eastern tinged Kingdom of Heaven songs, and some of the similarly flavored Corvus Corax songs will be in it.

Another addition: Ars Chase, for lack of a better word. Chase music! Working this one up still.

I'm a fan of video game soundtracks. I think the original Doom and Doom 2 for the PC/SNES would be pretty good for some music. D1 is for a level/soundtrack from the first; D2 is from the second.

When exploring a ruined covenant with danger and treasure lurking anywhere:
Phobos Labs (D1)
Demios Labs (D1)
Refinery (D1)
Tricks and Traps (D2)
The Chasm (D2)

For exploring a ruined temple:
Halls of the Damned (D1)
Blood Falls (D2)
The Pit (D2)
Dead Simple (D2)
The Tower of Babel (D1)

Exploring a Regio:
Hell Keep (D1)
Limbo (D1)
The Spirit World (D2)

Yes, I'm a nerd :slight_smile:

Diabolus in Musica!There are two groups of that name - the English one is okay,
link: http://www.diabolus.org/audio/audio.htm

the French one is awesome: http://diabolusinmusica.fr/english/discography.html
Their "Manuscrits de Tours" is a wonderful collection of 13th century chants (I am glad that some medoieval monk thought of making a cd...)

Hi,

I'm gonna play Calebais with my players and I'm searching some music for it. I'm searching for some tune that would convey the strangeness, the potential threat, the mystery, the untouched dust and other mood features that belong to such a dungeon.

Could you please help me find such music?

Grieg's Hall of the Mountain King: only problem is it's short

Hmmm yeah.... Three minutes at most. Seems a bit short as only music for Calebais, good as main theme though.

I have the Dante's Inferno game soundtrack (I'm playing it now in fact) and that makes for some chilling/exciting/disturbing hellish mood music. If you want to heighten the tension in an infernal encounter, I'd recommend it.

You can buy CDs of horror sound effects from Amazon. :slight_smile:

Schubert's unvollendete Symphonie (unfinished Symphony), 8th symphony

1. Satz (first movement)

you can hear the little cretures moving in the tunnels

I'm gona list a few or the records that i have used for a while in Ars. There is of course a lot more out there and the taste and usage is as many as there is people out there.
I prefer to use a well known intro song (to get ppl in the right mood) and then use music as in films. That is bacground until something happens, and then use the proper mood-setting music.

First the titel, then the author and under it my comments.

Waterworld
(James Newton Howard)
Extraordinary first track that i use for intro in all my Ars settings.

Leon
(Eric Serra)
Nice melow songs for background use in most settings.

Joan of Arc
(Eric Serra)
A nice pice with some touches towards the divine. It ends with a nice o'fortuna rip-off that can be used in a epic meeting with angels or daemons

The rock
(Nick Glennie-Smith, Harry Gregson-Williams, Hans Zimmer)
Mixed, but has some of the most epic-knight-fight music there is.

Kingdom of heaven
(Harry Gregson-Williams)
Good mood music with a touch of Levant

End of days
(John Debney)
As infernal as it gets. If you need music that gives touch of hell, this is it... period.

Legends of the Fall
(James Horner)
A bit difficult to use due to James Hornes ability to go up and down in the same song. But there is some breathtaking songs in here. Well implemented and someone will cry...

Ronin
(Elia Cmiral)
Extraordinary start and the nice flutes follo throughout the holw album, making it a good theme-based album. A bit sorrowfull, but hey its about ppl killing other ppl...

Sleepy Hollow
(Danny Elfman)
Scary, mystic and wierd. Hard to use other than Unseeilie court.

Passion
(Peter Gabriel)
The BEST Levant music ever made... This one is a must for anyone including arabic regions.

The Mask of Zorro
(James Horner)
A few songs that can be used in Iberia, not all that wow though.

The Last of the Mohicans
(Randy Edelman, Trevor Jones)
I've saved the best for last.
This is the best OST ever made imo. It has a good theme throughout the entire album with both intro, combat, background, travel, magic regios and death :slight_smile:

I'd point to End of days or Sleepy hollow...

The soundtrack to Led Zepplin's "Song Remains the Same". There is a half-hour version of "Dazed and Confused" that is pretty wicked cool and conveys a sense of strange eerieness.