Ars Magica: The Unknown Storm (1-2 players)

Not webmaster (that's the thing that informs you of new PMs and stuff, right?). Forum AT atlas-games DOT com is the email I used based on the instructions...

I would send emails to a couple of different people at this point. It looks like you did this about 10 days ago, and my experience has never had a long wait (usually less than 48 hours). I know one recent game forum was delayed due to Gencon...

I'd go ahead and fire off emails to Webmaster and Michelle N via the Atlas form indicating you've requested a game as instructed 10 days ago and haven't heard back.

Hi, it would prabably be a good idea to start about what we want our covenant to be. I suggest we each come up with a list of boon and hooks that we would like to see in play, in addition that any LuckyMage would want to run.

As for the covenant, maybe we can distribute a set number of build point to each magi, and have another for the covenant as a whole.

What do you all think ?

Some seem pretty inherent- secluded, possibly autocephalous, and possibly a hostile environment if it is really cold and remote... I think we need some idea of how the covenant came together to say much moor- though to begin the saga poverty is distinct possibility...

I did mention in the OP that despite the covenant's location I'd prefer not to have very many stories regarding resource management due simply to the level of interest I have for SGing such things. :confused: So if you do, in your heart of hearts, want to reflect the lack of wealth a covenant five years old in a place largely (though not completely) disconnected from the Order would have, I'd personally prefer the Minor version of Poverty and/or the Minor version of Indebted to explain how you set yourselves up with income.

As for how we're doing Boons and Hooks, well, I want to make sure I'm telling stories you guys want to be involved with, but I also intend to keep some surprises. So you guys can choose Boons and Hooks, and based on how many you guys pick, I'll choose a number of them myself for you guys to discover when they come into play.

Speaking of which... How many Boons and Hooks is it generally good to have in a PbP, for those of you with experience?

(Also, given the premise of the game, does it really even make sense to give Boon points for Hedge magicians and monsters in the area?)

The Boon and Hook points for Hedge magi seem to be if we start play with them actively allied (or with covenant characters belonging to said traditions) or if we start play with them actively hostile. It would be more fun to leave them as neutral and let us make our own alliances and enemies as we go along.

The Hooks for monsters are generally if we're built on top of a monsters lair (whether in covenant terms or in resource terms - what do you mean my ignem vis is phoenix eggs?) or live on a migration route for them.

My point is that generally the north is a harsh place, and that is likely to affect income potential Aside from fishing there are not a lot of sources of food. I personally see this as something that will more take the magi's time as they begin stories to try and find new sources of income to support themselves than something the SG would need to come up with stories for. Hunger can be a great motivator.
Personally I've always wanted to try living in a covenant with Unnatural Law which turned the penalty for The Gift into a bonus instead- but only within the covenant. I have a feeling this is not the place for this however. Strong Aura and Vast aura both , I think, would be good general boons which fit this essentially unspoiled wilderness. The harsh weather could certainly qualify as an unhealthy environment, personally I think every covenant should have sufferage, gender imbalance seems reasonable for a starting covenant because one way or another you aren't likely to hit a good blend of gender selection for founding a covenant. Indigenes could be an interesting establishment for a start in dealing with locals...

If we don't want to think about resource management (and I, too, would prefer not to), then we should just say we have some nice source of income despite being up north. Furs might be one - maybe there's a huge supply of some sort, and a trade route nearby so we can realize our gains. Or maybe precious metals or gems or some such.

Even thought the location is remote, I think we can have a stable source of income, fishing and fur is a good source of income. Maybe two minors (80 pounds) instead of a regular (100 pounds) would convey the fact that it is a remote place but that the covenant doesn't struggle that much. It would be a bit poorer than normal, but by that much. Forestry might be another good source of income, especially if we magically grow trees overnight. Trading is also possible, trading commodities with the locals nomad in exchange for furs for example.

silveroak : I don't think that being up north is necessarily an unhealty environment. I thinl Hostile environment fits better the cold climate and the harsh conditions of living.

I think gender imablance could be a good idea for a hook

BOONS

-Hostile Environment: It is cold during an important part of the year.
-Healthy feature : Maybe the covenant was built around hot springs or there is a there is clear water flowing from nearby glaciers.
-Aura (x1 or x2) : I agree, the aura should be quite high in the untammed wilderness.
-Regio : Always good for stories of a different type.

Fortification:

• What kind of fortifications do you guys want ?

Ressources :

Hooks :
-Contested ressource (maybe vis with a local hedge tradition)
-Hunter/Sailors : Depending on the source of income or both
-Strong community : Because of the isolation

Relations
Boon:
-Local Ally (e.g. local chieftain/minor noble)

Surroundings
Hooks :

-Favors (e.g. local chieftain/minor noble) : maybe its tribe help when the covenant was set up or (covenant or magus) : they help raise our towers or other hermetic help to start a covenant.

-Faerie Landlord /Faerie court : anything that has to do with nordic mythology.
-Monster

Dunno about Faerie Landlord. Unlike most other pagan mythologies, which tend to be comprised mostly of Faeries with maybe a few relevant Magic beings, I've always seen the Norse mythos as being primarily Magic with a smaller amount of Faerie tossed in. Though I could just do the same thing Faerie Landlord does with the Major version of Monster, as long as the creature is strong enough that it won't be affected by your Aegis for a while so it can claim your new covenant as part of its territory... Hm, decisions, decisions. What are everyone else's thoughts?

Yes, its not obliged to be Fairie Landlord, as I just went throught the Covenants hooks and boons. I think as we are relatively far from civilization, the power of the nobility and church is less important, but nature abhors vaccuum and there will always be a top dog to which the magus should be accountable, althought one day, the magi might become the top dogs in the region !

That is in essence why I thought this hooks would be interesting

According to Rivals, the whole Nordic Pantheon is faerie based, and the Juten (frost giants) are magic. So having Thor for a faerie landlord would certainly be interesting...

Did you send more emails, LuckyMage? Might be a good idea.

Ok... sorry for my unexpected absence.
I moved for a new job and the ISP took longer than expected, but I am back now!

I am liking the fearie landlord and thor... is an amazing idea!

Ok... sorry for my unexpected absence.
I moved for a new job and the ISP took longer than expected, but I am back now!

I am liking the fearie landlord and thor... is an amazing idea!

Hm... We'll see. I might throw something a bit more curve-bally at you guys than Thor. Then again, maybe I'll be just that blunt. Not sure yet.

Curvey bally is always fun ! :slight_smile:

Any news about the subforum ?

Negative. Sent out a third email today.

Game subforum is UP, my friends! Now to begin thread creation so we can get this shindig on the road!

If you have the space id be interested in a crafty verditus looking into the runes and lore of weyland smith, seeking to perfect his humble craft starting as a tailor and likely furrier of some skill. Testing the mettle of his knowledge against the great elements for house and order. Tell me if you are interestedor have the space.