Astris Ex Tremere 1180-1186

I'll ask him to wait. I'm sure he's never seen, but I don't want to scare off the picklefish

I thank you Mr. Harry. As I said, I'd be very upset if anything happened to my family. The next time I am here, I'll bring you another two picklefish.

Right, I'm done one level from the spell. I'll go ahead and climb into the hut.

1180.1 part 17]

Or both. Good luck with that. :slight_smile:

As you may recall, you left the chest behind as spells expired. The first to expire was the movement spell, the second was the invisibility--this, a lucky ordering for you. (Unless you planned this!)

I'm fine with your having retrieved the silver, but nothing else. If the chest is where you left it, you can retrieve your other things.

Note that walking around town in armor is likely to be noticed--during the day.

Note also that you have had a very bad and long day; your injuries are feeling fine but you haven't slept. You are at least back in a neutral Aura--but that's enough out of town that returning is not a casual stroll.

Hmm. Let's sync time. You spent the morning being rejected at the quay. Late in the morning, you were thrashed. You managed to shamble to a monastery, get patched, decline their offer to keep you overnight and leave before your Hours spell dumps your chest to the ground. It's near thing. Soon after you leave the monastery, the chest goes thump to the ground. Fortunately, it is invisible. You're still at -6 penalty to your actions and aren't going to be carrying much, but grabbing your silver while no one is looking... ok. I won't even roll dice for that.

You then slowly make your way past the outskirts of town, where you popped in. The Aura here is neutral. This took a few more hours. (Remember, it's far enough away that the Dominion isn't dominating, and you were not able to walk fast, and even walking slowly was painful.)

You have cast some magic and now feel fine. It is late afternoon. The chest is in the middle of some street back in Hastings, still invisible--but has probably been noticed by now.

No shield. No armor. If you want to try to retrieve this stuff and find out what has become of your chest, we can do that.

If you want to adjust the plan below to compensate for your only having your sword and your silver, that's fine too.

Either way, I'm going to hold off on the stuff below, because Astris is likely to do something a little different. If he does not, that's fine too... just paste this into your response.

Are we clear about timing?

Hi,

Yes.

It was my bad in the original post, when I said that if you travel downriver you'll get yanked back. You won't.

No secret here, except the Secret of Ken Typing without Thinking.

Right.

smile Yes. This is one of the exploits I designed in. I have a feeling that players will find others.

Anyway,

Ken

I'll give the sword a few good swings to make sure there is no one else in the room. Then, I think back over the magus's instructions. Slay everyone in the room. Of course, I seem to be the only person in the room. "As far of tests of loyalty go," I think "suicide seems a bit extreme." But, it fits. Loyalty is built on obedience and trust. A test of loyalty has to be one that requires sacrifice, but must also show trust. How do you test loyalty when the subject knows its a test? The subject would always just do what the he thinks the test makers desire. I would kill my illusionary family, because I would be sure they are illusions. But, death. I want to trust that my house would not simply demand I slay myself, but it is a high price to be wrong. I must do as the magus commands, but perhaps, the answer is, like breaking the circle, a little sideways from the straightforward answer. Perhaps the answer is that perfect loyalty is identity.

I look at the sword. "Master," I say aloud. "There are none in this room save myself. I have thought on what this sword means, and thereby I have slain my Self with it. I am one with my House. We are all together Tremere, and no sword could possibly slay us. If you require that this member sacrifice himself, he wishes to do so in combat with the Houses's foes, but will obey his superiors as the hand obeys the head."

1180.6 part 12

"Oh boy oh boy oh... Do you want me to look out for them or not? Things happen, you know? Bad things sometimes, and I cannot stop all of them. If you're going to blame me for anything that happens and prefer me to stay well away from them, just say so and the dice will fall where they may."

You have no idea what his motivation or intention is. Any experience you have reading people does not apply.

"I do not expert perfection, my friend. I'll take you at your word that you'll protect them from "bad luck" when you can. And I'll promise you two picklefish every time I visit my family. I'll even see if I can arrange for some to be left out for you from time to time when I am away. Does that sound agreeable?"

1180.4 part 20

I was waiting to be sure you actually did it. :slight_smile:

You put your wet hands on the dry sill, and hoist yourself into the small cottage, dripping water all over the floor.

There is barely enough room in the cottage for you to stand and for a large, warm stove.

Suddenly, you hear a voice screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech, "MY BEAUTIFUL CLEAN FLOOOOOOOOOOR!"

You are welcome to intervene with a fastcast if you want.

The voice comes from right behind you! A vast, horribly ugly woman (size +3) squeezes her way through the door, and now the cottage is extremely crowded. Too crowded, really. There isn't much room to move. By rights, you, her and the stove should not be able to even fit inside.

"HOW DARE YOU SPILL WATER ALL OVER MY CLEAN FLOOOOOOR! THERE'S ONLY ONE THING TO DO WITH A DIRTY RUSSIAN SNEAKTHIEF! STEALING INTO MY HOUSE WITHOUT KNOCKING!!!! AFTER MY TREASURE! ONLY ONE THING TO DO!"

And she grabs you in her large, meaty hands.

1180.4 part 21

I answer her, in whatever language she used that:

"I'm not Russian! And I'm no thief! I'm merely lost, I don't want to steal anything of yours!"

Edit: Fixed quotes.

1180.5 part 14

Silence.

I ask Eirick to make the arrangements for guards and pay. I'll bring along 5 pawns of vis for the covenant. Other than that, I have little that I need besides a small chest of personal effects. I'll bring my armor and shield, but hopefully the do nothing more than sit in a chest.

I'll use the Pylon porting trick of beaming to Kyiv before setting out, so I get yanked back at the end of the season.

EDIT: To add the pylon trick.

1180.5 part 15

"So be it."

I see no reason to hurt so i'll spont a PeMe spell to block pain species.
Numbness of the Corpse
PeMe 5
R: Personal Duration: Diameter T: Individual
The subject of this spell feels no unpleasant sensation from pain. He is simply aware of injury, in the same way one is aware of whether one is warm or being touched. [OOC: Its the Heremtic equivalent of a full body Novocaine shot.]
(Base 4 ArM5 p 150 (diminish a mental capacity) +1 Diam)
Casting Score: 4+aura +die (5 TeFo +1 Sta -1 Nocturnal -1 fatigue) Goal Level 6

Once I'm good and numb, I reverse my grip on the blade. I place the tip on my abdomen, angled upward. I know enough to know I may outlive my spell with a simple gut wound. I think to myself that I hope I've figured this test out correctly. I hope my trust, my loyalty is repaid. I take one deep breath and fall forward, using my body weight to run myself through. (Hopefully) there is no pain, just an odd sensation of having a sword in my gut.

1180.1 part 18

Ok, I'm a little more clear now. Basically its the long walk to and from town that is throwing me off. So, when the chest crashes, I'll take the silver. I try for the shield too, but if I can't make it, I'll at least try to throw in an alley or some such, not in an invisible box in the street. I don't think I have anything else that identifies me in the box, its mostly camping supplies, so I'm fine with leaving it. Losing my stuff isn't too harsh a blow.

Once I'm back to the camp area, I'll cast the spell that goes awry. Feeling better, I am still tired as all get out. I'm going to rest here. given the Pylong lag and the day I have had, I probably end up sleeping here for the rest of the and probably into the next day. Before I sleep I cut a circle with my sword, and then go over it to cast
Circle of Beast Warding
ReAn 5
R: Touch D: Ring T: Circle
(Arm5 p. 120)
Casting Score = 7 (6 TeFo +1 Sta) Goal Level 6. [Since its afternoon, my Nocturnal stops affecting me, if I am suffering a FL penalty, let me know so I can recalculate this. I may have to do it ceremonially. Then, I'm going to sleep]

I was planning on getting to the Tourney early, so I should have some leeway to rest here before leaving. When I wake up, I'm hungry. I'll spend the afternoon looking for something to eat. I'm in a horrible mood and not looking to eat berries and leaves. I head toward Hastings, until I get to the farms on the outskirts. I'll find a nice isolated cottage and knock on the door. Whoever answers is going to get hit with Aura of Rightful Authority.(Casting Score 15 (11 TeFo +1 Sta +3 Method) [OOC: Its day, so I'll assume the man of the house will be out farming/working]

"I'll thank you to step aside. As you can plainly see I've been set upon by bandits." She should let me in. I ask her to prepare some food as I am hungry and haven't eaten. If she wants to send for assistance I tell her she must not. I am an agent of the King, and my mission is secret. That is why I am at her meek hovel and not dining with the Lord of this land. I'll get a nice meal, which goes a long way to making me less angry at the world. After I'm done, I give the nice lady two silver pennies, which should be a bit more than the food would sell for at an in. I ask her to keep my visit secret.

After the meal, I'll head back to the campsite. My plan is basically the same. I can live without the armor and shield, the illusion will just make my clothes feel like mail. And hey, they are enchanted to be pretty damn tough.

So, I cast a spont MuIm spell to make myself look like a middle aged, but very fit, noble looking man. He wears fine mail armor and his blade is sheathed in leather wrapped in beaten gold. His salt and pepper hair sits high on his head, and his neatly trimmed black beard is streaked with white. A wicked scar cuts along his left cheek, it doesn't ruin his face, but instead gives it even more gravity. He looks old enough to be wise, and young enough to be dangerous. His voice is dark and full of gravel. It sounds serious and somber, as though he is holding some deeper anger in check. He even smells like a high born noble, that is clean. The illusion feels right to the touch, so long as the touched part makes sense. (I.e. Astris's armor feels like chain, his sheath feels like it has gold on it) [OOC: Sort of a cleaned up Clint Eastwood from the original Dirty Harry].
Wear the Form of the Fearsome Warrior
MuIm 10
R: Personal D: Sun T: Individual
This spell changes the appearance of the subject to that described above. It changes way the subject looks, sounds, feels, and smells to the disguise above.
(Base 3 ArM145 +2 Sun)
CS= 17 (12 TeFo +1 Sta +3 Cyclic +1 Exg. Gestures) Goal Level 11.

I'll rest until I regain the FL.

I then cast Personal Veil of Invisibility CS= 13 (6 TeFo +1 Sta +3 Cyclic +3 Method) with a duration of Hours. Goal Duration 4 hours 5+die vs 10( 2 Int +3 AL:Astronomy).

Then I head back to the docks. I check first to see if the ship with the knights has sailed out and back. If so, we may have to have some fun aboard.

Otherwise, I find a smallish ship that looks to have a tiny crew. I'll sneak aboard. Stealth= 9 or 12(0 Dex +0 Stealth +9 (moonshadows)/+12(no visible signs) (invisibility. HoH:S p. 33). Once on board, I'll try and locate the crew. Hopefully they are sleeping. Each sleeping crewman gets his very own touch range Aura of Rightful Authority. (can't use Eye, because I'm invisible). CS= 10 (11 TeFo + 3 Cyclic +1 Exg Gestures -5 Quiet words) Since I am in no hurry, I catch my breath after each casting. If anyone is awake, they get the last spell, cast with full voice (CS = 17 (11 TeFo +3 Cyclic +3 Method) Once I have everyone under my influence, I'll slip off the boat and wait for my invisibility to expire.

Once I can see myself, I head back to the boat with the "charmed" crew. I'll come aboard, demand to see the captain immediately. I'll hit them with "It is urgent that you and your men ready this boat to travel, immediately. It is urgent we reach Normandy this night. My lord commands me to board the fastest ship I can find and order them to bear me to Normandy. No doubt you will be well rewarded for your prompt obedience."

EDIT: Fixed a missed BBC tag

1180.4 part 22

Some bureaucracy: I noticed that I broke one of my rules, and I'm going to fix it. All stories begin with starting resources for the Cycle, which means that you have no vis in this story or in any of the others. On the other hand, you also did not lose any vis during this story. That is, instead of trading some of your vis (which you did not have) for other stuff, you simply made other trades and were doing quite nicely at the Trick Tribunal.

Since you haven't actually used any vis, there is no real effect, except that you didn't lose 3 pawns.

You're speaking Russian.

She stops mid-shriek. "You're not Russian?" And you explain that you're English, or French or whatever. She boggles at the possibility of a person who is not of the Rus, but soon returns to her theme.

"Maybe you're not Russian," she allows, her ugly, ugly face right up in yours, "maybe, but you're still a thief! A THIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEF, WALKING RIGHT INTO MY YARD, SNEAKING INTO MY HOUSE WITHOUT PERMISSION. A PILFERTHIEF AND A BURGLAR IS WHAT YOU ARE, PREYING ON HELPLESS OLD WOMEN! LOST, IS IT? YOU KNEW THAT THIS WASN'T YOUR HOUSE. NO ONE EVER COMES HERE BY ACCIDENT, AND YOU KNEW THE SECRET CHANT TO OPEN MY DOOR! THIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEF! THERE'S ONLY ONE THING TO DO WITH A SNEAKING BURGLAR PILFERTHIEF," she exclaims, squeezing you for emphasis as she opens up the stove to pop you in....

1180.7 part 6

OOC: I suspect that next Cycle, Astris will have a lot more respect for House Doctrine regarding traveling lightly!

You can decide next post whether you took the guards with you for the Pylon trick. Either way:

If your shield and armor fit in the chest without magical assistance, the chest isn't very small. There are armed men in the flotilla of boats, but none are wearing much in the way of armor. These are riverboats small enough to be portaged; there are seven rapids downriver that cannot be navigated. The boats must be carried around them. It is here, where men are straining beneath burdens, exhausted, unable to flee with their cargoes, that steppe barbarians are likely to attack from ambush in large numbers. Sometimes a tribe is paid to look the other way, yet there is more than one tribe....

Some merchants think it best to travel in a large group because it can be protected better, but others think that a large group just makes a more tempting target, and prefer to travel downstream in smaller groups, even singly.

Your covenant guards keep the people who hate you from acting on it, but they want to. If the boats are attacked, you might find yourself blamed!

You also notice that everyone drinks too much. The people supposed to be keeping an eye out for trouble drink less, yet cannot be said to meet a Tremere's standard for sobriety. Even the covenant guards are not always 100% sober. Astonishingly, if you ask about it you are told that this is considered sober and restrained: A man on the river needs to keep his wits about him, yet hard work is thirsty work!

None of the boats are owned by the covenant. The merchants back in Kyiv claim that they have paid off the barbarians... but this is a Difficult story, so we know how well that's going to work!

Any preparations you would like to make before being attacked by a barbarian horde? It will be a tactical surprise, in the sense that they get to ambush you at their convenience, but not a strategic surprise, in the sense that there are only a few periods (albeit totaling at least two weeks) during the journey where this is likely to happen, so you can have spells pre-cast.

You can even decide how many boats are in your group, but there will be at least one boat for every two guards that you bring, or fraction thereof, you may bring no more than five guards, and there will be no more than 30 boats, laden with valuable furs, and less valuable slaves, wax and honey.

Autumn is a good time to send things downriver, especially slaves, because who wants to feed slaves during the winter?

1180.5 part 16

I'm going to rule that the capacity to feel pain is reduced by 6--including awareness. This is Perdo, after all, which makes a target worse, and the subject of such a spell ought to face potential problems (that probably don't matter here.) Note that ReMe "control mental state" (not in agony) would also work, though with different possible ramifications.... next time. :slight_smile:

The spell goes off. Astris is down another FL.

Just to be clear: What effect is Astris trying to achieve? If the wound is not treated in time, around how long would Astris live?

1180.1 part 20
(I think we mangled the numbering somewhere in there, so I'm skipping Just in Case)

You don't get to throw the shield without calling attention to yourself. You barely get to walk. This is what makes the walk back from the city so much longer than the walk to the city. The initial walk was no more than an hour, to reach a known place of neutral Aura.

It doesn't matter: You roll very, very well. :slight_smile: When you wake up in the morning, you are surrounded by animals. There are dogs, cats, rats, birds of all kinds, two wolves, a cow, a pony and even a trained bear that escaped from some noble's menagerie. The animals are not happy to be there, because of the cloud of insects that also surrounds you, buzzing, biting and stinging. You are protected while inside the circle, but the animals are not.

(I think this is the Chaotic Magic story.)

Lots of animals, all around you! I will assume that you manage to get past the animals without further injury, but planning, casting and recovering fatigue takes a while. You're welcome to type a strategy, but I rolled a few dice and didn't see anything unreasonably high or low.

Even one silver would be extremely generous. She treats you very properly, as befits a hated but powerful overlord.

Single botch. One WP. Astris thinks he looks like this.

This is where the trouble begins. First, as you make your way into the crowded city streets, people do not give way as they should to a man of your appearance! They are reacting wrong. As you realize this, you notice two armed men who look sort of like they have a right to patrol the town start making their way toward you with grim determination! It does not seem like a coincidence, but why?

(I am reacquainting myself with my feelings about dice. On the one hand, these chaotic magic and botch failures make the story go in unexpected ways. On the other hand, they also have a way of becoming the story. Still, maybe what's happening is for the best.)

We haven't gotten here yet, because of the armsmen!

1180.4 part 23

"I never opened your door! Someone else must have. I don't know any secret chant. I would never rob anyone, I am a nobleman's son, and want for nothing. I only sought shelter from the rain, and your door was open and inviting. But I'm not a thief. In fact, if there WAS a thief, he may still be here. You should look for him, I could help you...

Astris really thinks he has this figured out (and he's arrogant and reckless enough to act on it). He's aiming for serious harm, a wound that would kill him in moments to minutes. On the very non-granulated scale of Ars Magica it would be better represented by "dead" rather than "incapacitating" but he is unlike to die instantly, as from a decapitation or the like.

1180.1 part 21

I should be invisible at this point. I cast the invisibility over the illusion, so that I'm invisible until it wears off in a few hours. Then the underlying illusion is reveled. If people are obviously noticing me, I'd duck back out of town and try again. I'm not interested in another beating.

EDIT: Fixed quoting X2