Autumn 1221: A Visit to Harco

"I apologise. "
"My exuberance probably led us into this part of the discussion, and to be open and plain your offer of a Mercer house is exactly what we had wished from the discussion."
"You asked what other advantages we might seek? Well that relates to the core purpose of the island. We are seeking to discover the old mysteries of Atlantis and also to create something different in New Atlantis, a place which is removed from as many of the difficulties of Europe as possible, and where magical insight and providence is encouraged. House Mercere is the lifeblood of the Order and a strong link to your House is very important, perhaps more so than some other Houses. "
"So we seek to offer a place of growth and refuge to members of the Order. Built with a sight to equality. That might start as a place of relaxation and retirement for redcaps as you mentioned but I hope we can grow to be a small magical kingdom. I know how that sounds, especially when said aloud in the presence of a Primus; but it is part of our goal. "

"Your lofty goals are not unknown to us," Insatella replies pleasantly. "That's one of the reasons that we've agree to support your covenant for a time. It's also a reason we're willing to place a Mercer House on the island." She shakes her head.

"I can't way whether this experiment of your will be a great success or a spectacular failure. You're taking many risks and reaching for the sky. But against the possibility that it will succeed, you will have our limited support. Just remember, nothing breeds success like success. Do well with New Atlantis and you will continue to see support from us. But please remember that not everyone in the Order shares your dream. And I must look after the best interests of House Mercere. If the prevailing mood shifts to oppose your project, there may be nothing I can do to save it."

Atolycus smiles. "Then we will simply have to do our best to convince them to see things our way, no? And we certainly appreciate the aid given to us by the House, you can trust that we won't forget our friends..."

"I don't envy you the political wrangling you have ahead of you," Insatella replies. "Wooing votes at the Grand Tribunal. That can be so terribly tedious - and expensive. But you'll be able to start any time now. Ha;f the tribunals will have named their representatives to the Grand Tribunal this year, and the rest, save for the Rhine, will do it next year. I know that Rome and Provencal have already set their representatives. I'm sure that Hibernia, Iberia, Levant, Novgorod, and Thebes have as well."

"Do you have any ideas on who might be willing to raise the issue? And what Tribunals might be willing to annex us if it falls through?"