Balaurega ex Tremere

So if it's stuck in them for instance it would need to penetrate to pull back?

yes. If it blows through them it would not.
Though at that point the magic resistance might have died with them...

The base effect is for rocks, so sounds like a metal ball is a better option for retrieval, with blood on it if it did a wound? Maybe serrated...

Would a bolt-shaped/sharp projectile get a damage bonus?

no, standard rules do no adjust damage for the shape of a magically propelled projectile.

What season will we be starting off in?

Winter

Winter 1206? or Winter 1207?

Winter 1207. The Opidae is located about 5 miles west by northwest of the modern town of Mazin Croatia which does not exist at the time of the game- the closest town at this point is Zadar, or Zara, which is occupied by the Venitians, 40 miles away. It sits in a bowl valley between three mountains in a level 5 magic aura.

Note that Balaurega is probably capable of building the actual Oppidae with ReTe 41/ReHe 25 and Finesse 10+2. Her advancement is mostly done.

Here are some effects for your approval/review. Notably, will the Unbreakable effect allow her to have links of stone worked into the armor (Full Chainmail, her talisman) without effecting its integrity? Or even to make the armor mostly out of stone and have it be just as effective?

Spell Level Arts Base Range Duration Target Description
Balaurega's Bullet 45 ReTe 25 (+2 Metal) Voice (+2) Mom Ind Hurl an earthen or metal object within range, damage +25, range inc 20
Strings of the Beast-Puppet 30 ReAn 10 Voice (+2) Conc (+1) Ind (+1 Size) Control the motions of a beast up to size +5
Balaurega's Barrage 50 ReTe 20 (+2 Metal) Voice (+2) Mom Group (+2) Hurl a class of earthen or metal objects within range, damage +20, range inc 20
Item Effect Level Arts Base Range Duration Target Description
Unbreakable Armor 24 MuTe 4 (+2 Metal) Personal Sun (+2) Ind Armor becomes unbreakable by mundane means, offering +2 Protection. Constant effect +4 (2 uses per day, environmental trigger.)
Weightless Armor 29 PeTe 5 (+2 Metal) Personal Sun (+2) Ind Armor becomes weightless, reducing Load to 2. Constant effect +4 (2 uses per day, environmental trigger.)

Balaurega's bullet is good. Strings of the meat puppet- controling an animal is base 15, and base individual for animal is up to size +1, so to work as described would require level 50, not 30.
Balaurega's barrage also looks good- one point with both bullet and barrage- these would not require range increments as they have a range of voice.
regarding unbreakable armor, I don't like descriptions that include infinite effects like 'unbreakable" even with a limitation of "by mundane means" as this would have to include any imaginable extreme of mundane means such as being repeatedly pounded n by a mechanical hammer attached to a wheel powered by a team of oxen while being treated alternately with the fires of a forge and piles of snow. +2 protection is certainly achievable, I need to look into properties of stone versus iron to consider having armor made of stone- what type of armor are you wanting to do this way (chainmail?)
Weightless armor- why would load be reduced to 2 specifically?

Re Beast puppet, the intent is that it physically controls body movements, rather than mind control of a cunning-based mind. So was using ReCo 10: Control a target's motions

For the attack spells, it's based on Invisible Sling of Vilano, which is range touch - range voice is meant to be so she doesn't have to be touching the object to fling it, but it's still a mundane projectile once in flight so has a range increment/trajectory.

The armor effects are based on Hardness of Adamantine HOH:S 37 and Hauberk of Sublime Lightness HOH:S 38. Sorry, should have given you those page numbers in the description. I see reading again it should say "nearly" unbreakable/weightless. The latter spell guideline says it can't go below 2 load because it eliminates weight but not bulk.

The armor would be a full suit of chainmail, but many of the metal parts made of stone. Without magic I think it would be totally useless, but I believe the effects above take away the differences by eliminating weight and fragility.

Re Beast puppet- you don't get to reference a different form to suggest a different method of doing the same spell cheaper- if you want put in the time to research this as a possible breakthrough to seperate animal-mentem and animal-corpus spells I will consider it, but you can't just decide to do it that way.
the reflex is to maintain control- sling of Vilano works the way it does specifically because it is touch range and thus forced to rely on finesse instead of an ongoing magical force.
The reference to the armor effects make sense, but I believe they overestimate the bulkiness of work armor- my son danced in adult chain mail at the age of 8, and realistically chainmail is no bulkier than a heavy sweater, so go ahead and drop the load to zero. As for stone armor- as I look though a number of references (including modern ceramic armor) it appears that defensively speaking stone armor is superior to metal armor initially, the problem being that as it hits it cracks rather than malforms, reducing its effectiveness and being very hard to repair (also it is extremely difficult to make, but I assume that is being done with magic. Combined, however, with the stone version of hardness of adamantine those downsides will largely disappear- it will still be harder to repair and we'll say with the enchantment it will lose 1 point of protection for every 100 hits it takes, but (assuming granite for your material) it will also start with +2 protection, and it will require magic to repair, probably with some impressive finesse on ReTe craft magic, though there are other methods (MuTe the whole thing to metal for a day and let a normal smith fix it, for example)

My source for using a Corpus guideline was ArM page 120, under Rego Animal: You may further refer to Corpus for ideas and guidelines on controlling an animal’s body, and Rego Mentem spells for ideas and guidelines on controlling an animal’s mind.

The finesse projectile spells imbue force to an object at touch range, why would it be any different at voice range?

further refer to does not mean replace existing guidelines.

regarding projectiles because at touch range once the object flies towards its target you are no longer touching it, while it will still be within voice range.

Does that mean that the ReAn 15 Control guideline works on animals that have intelligence? I read that as mind control that worked on cunning only, therefore needing a purely physical control spell to work on animals with Intelligence.

Re the sling, just because it can continue to be affected by magic doesn't mean it is. Adding a magnitude to fling things that aren't being touched adds utility, but if it's going to mean the spell becomes resistable then it's useless, but I don't see why it necessarily would.

1. What did you read as mind control that worked on cunning only? It is control animals, not control cunning I have not seen any reason it would not work on animals with intelligence.

2. that is my reading, my ruling, how I have seen it and called in in every game for years past. The sling works because the item moves beyond the range of the magic and thus becomes a mundane trajectory. Interestingly this seems to be a ruling from later supplements where other supplements would suggest that even at touch range an object hurled by a spell would require penetration unless it was lifted over a target and then dropped. If you have a specific reference where you believe it has been done as you describe I will look and reconsider, but simply telling me that magic can do what it cannot does not make an effective argument. Perhaps if you have Mutantes magic to release the spell midflight or wish to engage in research to discover how to do this effect, but certainly not by default.

1. It's the second paragraph under Animal, on page 117.

2. So I take it you can't add something into the spell to make the magic end before the object gets out of range? Though that would add reqs in bad arts for this character.

But if the spell takes the target beyond voice range, it would still work as a mundane attack right? It's only 15 paces, or 5 paces if it's cast quietly; so still has some use. The intent is to be able to use the spell as a defense, for instance to seize the weapons of mundane soldiers and throw them at other enemies.

1)And further down it states that a bjorner in animal form (with intelligence) will be affected by animal spells that manipulate the mind, so it contradicts itself within the same book.

1. there is no known way to do so, it would require a breakthrough.

however yes, if you fire an object from within voice range at something beyond voice range then the statistics will apply again.

Last thing, regarding size, Size +1 is the base and every magnitude added is +3, right?

That is correct, and I did miscalculate on that basis earlier, so you can get up to size +4 with a level 35 spell on the strings of the beast.