Balder of Bonisagus

which is what google translate gave me as the name of the bird from the site you linked to.

however does list it as a bird of Norway... I probably should adjust my list to remove the (I) and decrease the frequency of the (A) lists... I can rerandomize if you would like...

That list marks it as «Category D» - reasonable doubt about its wild origin, so I guess the sources agree.

Feel free to rerandomise.

revised list (also skewed towards lower might)- names are modern, but not scientific:
Hooded crow Might:35 (corpus)
Western European hedgehog Might:35 (Intelligo)
Grey red-backed vole Might:25 (vim)
Little gull Might:55 (rego)
Jack snipe Might:15 (vim)
Eurasian jackdaw Might:20 (Intelligo)
European pied flycatcher Might:35 (Intelligo)
Pallas's sandgrouse Might:60 (Vim)
Whinchat Might:15 (rego)
Swainson's hawk Might:30 (Intelligo)

Swainson's hawk was also Category D on the list ...
it's not important, though

it was, I gave things with a D a weight of 1 versus 40 for native birds and 100 for native land animals

Right. OK then. :slight_smile:

I also not that the Little Gull only started to breed in Norway in the 1970s ... not sure where it would have been in 1200 ... maybe Svalbard in which case it would be flying through. And rereading the rules I find that I need much lower lab total than I thought to bind small animals so the Little Gull is a good choice. Fits well with the sea travelling concept of Balder.

Could you have a look at the lab, please? It is still a draft, but the enchanted items should be reviewed. http://amfightorflight.wikidot.com/balder-s-lab

When magic items mimic non-magical canon virtues, should they give the stats of the virtue mimicked or only bonuses warranted by their level? This is relevant for the autorevolving wheel (lesser feature: wheel) and for magical heating (Fan of Summer Breezes).

The other items are relatively straight forward I think, although one may question if general quality bonuses do not come to cheaply.

I'm going to stat with a review of the character, so this might take a bit, but we seem to be getting to the advanced topics before we have completely covered the basic ones...

Maybe, but everything which happens P/G is inter-related. And I do not know the ruleset well enough to do things in order without seriously regretting it afterwards.

If there are any features which you would like to settle first, then please say so, and I'll try to cover them.

to begin with you seem to be 5xp over at guantlet

I have 45xp early childhood (3 abilities at 1, two at 2).
I have 30xp later life (six abilities at 5).
I have 130xp (abilities) from apprenticeship 2x50 + 6x5
Arts 180xp (3x55+15)

That's ten above, not five. Hmm.

I have fixed that. Pushed some to P/G and reduced leadership.

the lesser horde of gnomes will boost either Re or Te, not Co...
Idyllic surroundings applies to a lab located "by itself" not within a tower...

Why Te?
It is possible that «gnome» is not the best translation. [RoP:F:80] uses the Swedish word «Tomte» and calls it a powerful sort of brownie, and an ancestral spirit. I fail to to see the Te association.

OK, I'll remove Idyllic surroundings.

A gnome in western magical traditions is pretty much by definition an earth linked creature, actually being a name for earth elementals in some traditions. reviewing the available information on the Tomte, they appear to be of a certain similarity but hermetically linked to He instead of Te- so He or Re.

the bowls will give +1 Re not +1 GQ... though in part this is based on description of effect, where the item honestly seems overpowered in terms of its score for that effect...

you do get the aesthetic bonus for the wheel as well.

I'm giving the Vim bin an extra +1 safety, but also 1 warping lab personality can be discussed but I'm suggesting something like cautious or paranoid.

Not +2 Re for the bowls, since they are lvl 20? Yes, I agree GQ should not be too easy to get.

I should have used the word «brownie». Their description in RoP:F fits better than that of the gnome. I see that the «Tomte» is associated with the fields in RoP:F. The most well-known equivalent in Norwegian folklore is associated with the barn, looking after the cattle. Anyway +1 Re is fine.

(BTW. Nisse is a diminutive of Nicolaus, and also takes the role of St Claus. Tomte is invariably the Swedish translation.)

to bein with the +1 for complexity is gratuitous, and there is no need for it to be operable 24x per day with a concentration duration which is maintained. Realistically you have a level 10 item artificially inflated to level 20. If you want to change the item and work again that's fine but I'm basing lab bonuses on what is actually done not on level accounting.

If it could be a L10 item, we make it a L10 item. No problem. Ten bowls moving independently of each other feels complex to me, but if I am wrong I'll fix that.

Paranoid feels a bit too irrational for my taste. Cautious is fine. I have no idea how it is going to work out in play.

based on the total level of enchantments, I think the total warping score will need to be a 3. This can be split between multiple personality traits if you wish.

How does that work? If I read you correctly most of the warping is not associated with a given item, but with the combo? But IIUC an item can easily be removed for a season and then replaced ... does that mean that the warping is inherent and cannot thus be reduced temporarily (or easily)?

How does the split personality work in practice? For a given warped incidence, does all personalities influence the result? Or only a random one?

one is inherently connected to the bins. Others may be based on interactions of certain items with the energy of the lab- I am letting you pick which of the more powerful effects these are and to some degree how it manifests- it could be some left over personality trait of the tireless servant from when he was alive, or an effect of the magically warmed air circulating around the heated cauldron. The effect will diminish if you remove enough magic items from your lab for long enough- probably one full season after removal.