Beatrix ex Mercere (development)

I'm getting 11 Flaws instead of 10.

Rego should only be 114 xp for a score of 18 (since she has Affinity) instead of 171. Ditto with Vim.

If you're still going with 20 seasons of Lab Work, that's basically 5 years, which reduces your available XP by 150. So, as near as I can tell, you still have 40 points to spend on spells/abilities/arts.

Yup.

That's something that the program does and is both technically and functionally incorrect. There is a bug in it that has to do with this that they haven't fixed. I mentioned it years ago, but I don't have the program so I never contacted them directly, just mentioned it here. The 171 is correct since for initial generation the experience actually gets increased. What actually happens during advancement is that the study total gets multiplied. So the experience gained is actually the 150% in both cases. The programmers tried to short-cut this by changing the cost of different levels instead but created a bug in the process because they didn't fully understand the mathematics as they did so. Here is the actual ArM5 text:

They could have written it properly. There are a few ways to pull it off that are mathematically equivalent. But their method is not one of them, and therein lies the bug.

Well, first, I set it to 16 seasons of lab work after that ruling on spells. Still, I don't think so. I spent 30 experience in each of those seasons, and I really don't think I'm off for initial character creation (posted the math on that above).

I guess my question was "Why does Beatrix have 11 Flaws instead of 10?"

Yes. Spending 114 points on Rego or Vim is increased by half, so you're spending 114 to get 181 points' worth of Rego/Vim,which is a score of 18. On her character sheet, you have her spending 181 points to get a score of 18. If she's spending 181 points, which would get a score of 22 and closing in on 23.

The Flaws fit. I'm OK with the extra. Made me feel better about the two Story Flaws, too.

On the character sheet I have a record of the experience she actually has in the Art. Since 114 were put into it at initial creation, she actually has 171 points in the Art.

Metacreator's method of recording it the other way is wrong according to ArM5. It doesn't create too many errors, but it does create errors. As it creates errors, I don't know why Metacreator's authors haven't changed their program to conform to ArM5 since that's what this program is for. But they haven't. So Metacreator is just wrong.

Now, there are two different correct ways to record it. You can record the experience beyond the current level or you can record the total experience up to and beyond the current level. As long as which method is being used is known, there are no problems with either method. Both follow ArM5 rules properly, unlike Metacreator. Note that Darius in ArM5 uses the experience beyond the level, and you can see there with his Affinity that ArM5 specifically disagrees with Metacreator in how it records the experience. (With Metacreator's method there is no way he could have 15 listed experience past 18 as 15x1.5>19.) Only recording experience past a level is certainly preferable for blocks of stats like are written in the books because it cuts down drastically on the numbers. I find it easier to deal with character creation when all the points are listed because it's easier to move points around when they're all shown. It's also easier to double-check everyone's math. But once the creation is done, dropping all those numbers and just showing the remaining experience is fine and probably easier.

Or we could house-rule Metacreator's bugs as official for the saga. Unfortunately, not owning Metacreator, I'm not exactly sure how all the bugs show up. I would have to guess at some of them. Meanwhile I have the ArM5 books and can look things up if I don't know them.

I just saw a post from Erik Tyrrell. Apparently I messed up. The Qualities are based on Might without adjustment for Size. I adjusted for Size first. Not sure about anyone else with their familiar.

My RoP: Magic book is boxed up for my upcoming move, and I don't have it in pdf yet. I'm trying to stat up Günther's breath attach now that I have a little more flexible time. Can someone help me out? I'm working from memory right now. I need to check/confirm three things:

1. Does the Greater Power Quality provide 50 points?
  2. Is the Might Cost of a Greater Power half the magnitude?
  3. Is the Initiative of a Greater Power Quickness-Magnitude/2?

Oh, also, from the Magical Animals section what are the stats on large bite and large claws?

Thanks.

Yes, it does.

Yes, which can be reduced with Mastery Points.

Yes, and ditto.

Large Teeth have Initiative 0, Attack +4, Defence +1, and Damage +3.
Large Claws have Initiative 0, Attack +5, Defence +3, and Damage +4.

Thanks. A couple more things:

1. Noticed I accidentally use 4 points instead of 7 on Characteristics. I'll just increase Quickness by 1.
  2. I made a comment in another thread about Confidence. Should familiars start with Confidence? I think it got left over from copying and pasting.
  3. Again, I'm lacking a book. Improved Powers give Mastery Points, too. Those can be used on any power, right?

Yes, if they're not a grog. RoP: M (p. 36) says, "If the character is intelligent, is not a grog and does not have the Low Self Esteem Flaw, or if the character has the Ferocity Virtue, give it a Confidence Score of 1 and 3 Confidence Points to start."

Yes.