Begining economics

It seems like sometimes he is, and sometimes he isn't.

For determining Loyalty, it seems he is. After all, there's a category of ungifted magus listed.

But for determining upkeep, it seems he's considered a companion. At least that's how they did it in the example given on page 68 of Covenants. But it would certainly make perfect sense to consider him a magus for purposes of upkeep, etc.

But that could take away income. And it seems like Robbing from Peter to pay Paul if we reduce our costs only by reducing our income. :confused:

It depends on your finesse ability. Assuming a standard craftsman with ability 5 to do what they can do in one season requires a finesse+ inteligence roll of 14 is required. for one month an Int+finesse roll of 11, to replicate one day's work would require a roll of 8. To affect wool with spontaneous magic would require Rego+animal+stamina+aura+die roll of 20 (3 for wool, 1 for range touch, then multiplied by 5). To simply harvest the wool requires no skill so the finess roll drops to 6 for a days work, 9 for a month's and 12 for a season, but the target becomes part (of the sheep), and raises the casting requirement to 25, unless you want to try and sheer many sheep at once which would raise the target to group, which means you would need to roll a 30 for the spell to sheer 10 sheep at once.
now enchanting sheers to shear 10 sheep at once- that could provide an actual bonus to the income roll...

I just put the 5 dependents in there as a bit of a fudge factor. Maybe we have 0. But I doubt we have more than 5.

I figure whatever we have has some kind of horse-equivalent in terms of cost.

I hadn't noticed the doubling. It just seemed reasonable that we might have a small herd of our own and a small vegetable garden. And Orien likes a diet of fish, so having a few fisherman is something he'd appreciate. :slight_smile:

Again, since we have a ready supply of sheep, a percaminarius seemed like something we could easily find employment for.

Good point.

FWIW, I counted the schoolmaster as a companion in my calculations.

I have a Perception+Finesse+Specialization (rego) of 12, and a Rego+Anima+Stamina of 23 before considering aura.
I figured I would want skilled results so I was trying to achieve with each casting what a craftsman should accomplish in one day. I presume I can cast at least once a minute allowing for supplies being moved around, etc. So I presume I can achieve the equivalent of bout 500 days work by a skill 9 craftsman in one day of my time.
I had not considered sheering the sheep, although if the sheep are within our aura, I can presumably handle one sheep a casting.

Once I have a lab, presumably with 2 suitable vis I could enchant the sheers. Which would then save us 2 lbs of silver a year, if I understand covenants right. I could even do it at +2 magnitude for 3 vis, but that would seem it imply that we have a LOT of sheep.

With those scores you should be able to replicate a season worth of work in a single casting as either a weaver (wool) or percaminarius (parchment). Either of these would be very usefull cast twice a year to fill in for a single craftsperson in terms of covenant savings

I am certainly happy to cast two fatiguing spells twice a year. I can get an effective score up to 20 (life-linked spontaneous), but as I understand it increasing the quantity further would increase the finesse requirement, and I want to make the finesse roll reliably.

Yes and no- increasing the quantity will increase he spell requirements, but the finess is based on required time- by making it a season of work instead of a day (+6) I have already taken that into consideration. int+finesse for a seaons of work for a skilled (skill 5) craftsman is craft ability level (5) + 3 (base)+6 (season of work)=14 on a 12+stress die roll. If you roll a zero you botch anyways, if you roll a 1 you double the result, so realistically 14 is your lowest possible non-botch roll (except a zero non botch), and I would say 90% of the time is pretty reliable.

Thanks Silveroak. That makes sense to me.