Bernhard der Blutig - Development

Born in Bavaria in 1193, simply named Bernhard, cousin of the boy who would become Vulcanus of Flambeau.

Cycle 1 - 1209-1216
Fought for the Duke of Bavaria against everything from bandits to rival nobles. Earned a reputation as a deadly combatant who simply could not be killed. One of the few survivors of a brutal winter spent besieged in the Alps (gained Enduring Constitution virtue, lost an ear and finger to frostbite). Despite his ability and courage, his comrades viewed him as unreliable and leadership opportunities eluded him. He eventually grew disillusioned with his career and his employer. After hearing Vulcanus had returned in 1216, he left the Duke's employ in an attempt to return to the peaceful life.

Cycle 2 - 1217-1222
Trained as a Forge Companion for Vulcanus, specializing in weapons and armor. Accompanied Vulcanus and Ivarr on Crusade, convincing himself that killing men for God was preferable to killing for Man. His illusions were shattered again on the disastrous march to Cairo in 1221, with his very mortal leaders blundering their way into a massacre at the hands of Al-Kamil's Ayyubids. Bernhard, Vulcanus, and Ivarr barely escaped with their lives and decided to return home to Fengheld.

Cycle 3 - 1223-1229
Bernhard lived at Fengheld and accompanied Vulcanus on his travels to Iberia. No matter where he went, he always found himself pulled from the forge to fight against someone or something - marauding bandits, belligerent magical creatures, and even an arrogant faerie who challenged him to a duel. Bernhard has become jaded and cynical about his curse, resigning himself to violence finding him no matter where he hides. He hopes the call to Andorra will give him the chance to help build something, but doesn't expect anything but trouble.

Characteristics: Int -1, Per +1, Str +2, Sta +3, Pre 0, Com -2, Dex +1, Qui +2
Size: +1 (+2 in bear form)
Decrepitude: 0 (0)
Warping Score: 0 (4)
Confidence Score: 1 (3)
Virtues: Skinchanger (bear), Improved Characteristics, Large, Tough, Warrior, Piercing Gaze, Puissant Single Weapon, Forge Companion, Enduring Constitution
Flaws: Magical Air, Lesser Malediction, Judged Unfairly, Depressed, Magical Animal Companion, Missing Ear
Personality Traits: Brave +3, Depressed -2, Loyal (Vulcanus) +3, Loyal (Faran) +2
Reputations: Dangerous +4 (Bavaria), Cursed -2 (Bavaria), Cursed -1 (Rhine Tribunal)

Combat (human):
Excellent axe: Init +3 / Atk +17 / Def +12 / Dam +8
Excellent heater shield: Init +2 / Atk +10 / Def +16 / Dam +2
Punch: Init +2 / Atk +7 / Def +8 / Dam +2
Dodge: +8
Soak: 6 + 6 from armor
Fatigue Levels: OK, 0, -1, -3, -5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: -1 (1-6), -3 (7-12), -5 (13-18), Incapacitated (19-24), Dead (25+)

Combat (bear)
Claw: Init +0 / Atk +15 / Def +10 / Dam +10
Bite: Init +0 / Atk +11 / Def +7 / Dam +7
Dodge: +6
Soak: 10
Fatigue Levels: OK, 0, -1, -3, -5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: -1 (1-7), -3 (8-14), -5 (15-21), Incapacitated (22-28), Dead (29+)

Abilities:
[table][tr][th]Ability (Specialty)[/th][th]Scr.[/th][th]Exp.[/th][th]Notes[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Animal Handling (horses)[/td][td]3[/td][td]30[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Area Lore: Africa (geography)[/td][td]2[/td][td]15[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Area Lore: Bavaria (history)[/td][td]2[/td][td]15[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Area Lore: Holy Roman Empire (geography)[/td][td]3[/td][td]30[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Area Lore: Iberia (covenants)[/td][td]1[/td][td]5[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Athletics (Running)[/td][td]3[/td][td]30[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Awareness (alertness)[/td][td]2[/td][td]15[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Bargain (armaments)[/td][td]2[/td][td]15[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Brawl (claw)[/td][td]6[/td][td]110[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Carouse (avoiding fights)[/td][td]3[/td][td]30[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Chirurgy (cauterization)[/td][td]2[/td][td]15[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Craft: Armorer (chain mail)[/td][td]3[/td][td]30[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Craft: Weaponsmith (axes)[/td][td]3[/td][td]30[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Dead Language: Latin (Hermetic usage)[/td][td]2[/td][td]15[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Folk Ken (violent intentions)[/td][td]3[/td][td]30[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Great Weapon (warhammer)[/td][td]3[/td][td]30[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Leadership (intimidation)[/td][td]4[/td][td]50[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Living Language: High German (Bavarian)[/td][td]5[/td][td]75[/td]Native Language[/tr]
[tr][td]Living Language: Low German (military terms)[/td][td]4[/td][td]50[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Living Language: Spanish (smithing terms)[/td][td]2[/td][td]15[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Magic Lore (creatures)[/td][td]2[/td][td]15[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Organization Lore: German Nobility (military)[/td][td]3[/td][td]30[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Organization Lore: Order of Hermes (Valdarian)[/td][td]1[/td][td]5[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ride (battle)[/td][td]4[/td][td]50[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Single Weapon (axe)[/td][td]7+2[/td][td]140[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Stealth (natural settings)[/td][td]2[/td][td]15[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Survival (mountains)[/td][td]2[/td][td]15[/td][/tr][/table]

Faran the Destrier

Magic Might: 3

Characteristics: Cun +1, Per +0, Str +8, Sta +3, Pre -2, Com -3, Dex +3, Qui 0
Size: +3
Confidence Score: 1 (3) [only usable when ridden in battle]
Qualities: Improved Fatigue x2, Improved Soak, Lesser Power
Inferiorities: Susceptible to Deprivation
Virtues: Ferocity, Long-Winded, Enduring Constitution
Flaws: Essential Flaw (surly), Proud (min), Magical Friend
Personality Traits: Surly +3, Aggressive +2, Loyal (Bernhard) +1
Soak: +5
Fatigue Levels: OK, 0/0, -1/-1, -3, -5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: -1 (1-8), -3 (9-16), -5 (17-24), Incapacitated (25-32), Dead (33+)

[table][tr][th]Ability (Specialty)[/th][th]Scr.[/th][th]Exp.[/th][th]Notes[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Athletics (running)[/td][td]4[/td][td]50[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Awareness (battle)[/td][td]1[/td][td]5[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Brawl (hooves)[/td][td]4[/td][td]50[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Folk Ken (Bernhard)[/td][td]2[/td][td]15[/td][/tr][/table]

Magic Powers:

Panic of the Trembling Heart
Mentem, 1 Might point, Init -3
Eye / Sun / Ind

EDIT: fixing cut/paste errors

Interesting.
But the name reads Vocis.I think you made a cut/paste error :smiley:

Nice :slight_smile: I love that we have brother warhorses.

Can the size bonus put strength over +6? Egon would have been made with better strength if I'd known that >.<

I do have to ask about the (animal) Qualities of Accomplished Flier and Fast Flier on a destrier. You might look at p. 55 of LoM for the typical traits for a destrier.

Or the Book of Mundane Beasts pdf, or the appendix to Realms of Power: Magic (p. 143).

But, yeah, I saw that and my first thought was "He's got a war-pegasus? Kewl!" :smiley:

So...many...cut/paste errors. :blush:

I did consider it, but that's just too much for a companion's companion. :slight_smile:

Good Point. Is it a Winged Horse? It is feasible that a magical animal that combines the traits of two or more natural animals (a chimera)would have natural qualities of each.
But perhaps there should be some virtue or flaw that represents that (or a quality).
If there isn't one, we can invent it. I think I did something similar when I designed the Andorran Griffon.

It seemed appropriate. Mine just not as cool as Egon. :slight_smile:

I'm not aware of a size-based Str cap, but that doesn't mean one doesn't exist. Let me know and I'll tone it down.

For animals, yes

Also my boss's name is Bernhard. :slight_smile:

There's a dirty joke in there somewhere...

I've got a single craft skill for Blacksmithing. The Scavenger Trilogy spends pages and pages describing the blacksmithing work the main character does, and that convinced me that making nails and making swords and repairing armor, it's all the same skill.

Personally I'd love it if you could get to Craft 6 (the point at which you add +2 to my lab totals).

I agree on keeping it simple. Use Blacksmith as the main skill. Craft abilities are vague and frustrating as it is.

While I think this is a better approach, I would caution you. I really don't see how making nails and making cuir bouilli are at all similar. However, I have a similar problem between cuir bouilli and mail, so my preference is material-based.

Shouldn't be a problem if it's just Craft: Blacksmith.

Cuir bouilli is leather, so I do not think it would count under Blacksmith. Now Metal Reinforced Leather is different. The leather part takes a seperate skill, but forgink all those scales or studs or rings or whatnot is Blacksmithing.
Blacksmithing counts for all ferrous materials. So it would not count if working with gold or silver. But anything made of iron or steel is fine. And if your skill is high enough (and you have had exposure to the masters of Damascus or Toledo), maybe even Vandium.

Just to say I love him :smiley:
(Although he'd have been better with a war-pegasus :laughing: )

Just to say I love him :smiley:
(Although he'd have been better with a war-pegasus :laughing: )

Right, that was my point. Cuir bouilli would fall under Armorer, yet it would not fall under Blacksmithing. Thus making armor and making nails are not necessarily the same skill at all. As I said, I prefer material-based anyway, which is what seems to be the common preference.