Call for ArM5 Errata

This should probably be addressed in two places:

Tales of Mythic Europe p.54: Sverin has

Chirurgeon’s Healing Touch (CrCo20/+18), Mastery 3 (Fast Casting, Still Casting, Quiet Casting, ArM5, page 129

First, though trivial, there is a closed-parenthesis missing after the third option. Second and far more importantly, is Fast Casting really an option for a Ritual spell????? That's all sorts of nuts. Personally I'm not so sure about Still Casting and Quiet Casting for a Ritual spell, either, but at least those aren't horrific and drastically game-changing.

If any of these are disallowed for Ritual spells, this should be noted on p.87 of the core rules.

1 Like

Normally, I would ask you to moderate your language. But, yes, in this case, how the effety-blank did I miss that?

3 Likes

Day of Communion, Through the Aegis p137, claims

This spell is a Wizard’s Communion as found in ArM5, page 160, but with a longer duration. In accordance with the errata for Muto Vim such spells need a duration at least as long as the casting of the target spell. [...] It is highly useful for casting an efficient Aegis of the Hearth

but the MuVi errata require a MuVi spell's duration to match the duration of the spell it changes, not its cast time, meaning an Aegis-useful Wizard's Communion variant would need to be D:Year, and therefore a ritual, and therefore completely useless. No covenant in their right mind is going to risk casting that many extra ritual spells, and blowing that much vis on extra ritual spells (one per covenant member! plus risking your primary Aegis caster being fatigued for the Aegis cast!), just to get better Aegis penetration. They'll just use a lower magnitude Aegis, probably mastered for penetration, and suck it up.

Hell, blowing a big ol' pile of vis sordida on your Aegis looks downright safe and efficient by comparison to any currently legal Aegis-applicable Wizard's Communion variant.

The above also applies to Wizard's Vigil, TtA p75.

This erratum has been stricken out and replaced. See the Errata for 2nd edtion:

Replace the final paragraph with the following: "Muto Vim spells work by altering the magical energies that create the spell as it is being cast. The spell is the result of the combination of the base casting and the Muto Vim effect, and has its effect once both the casting and the Muto Vim effect have finished. This means that a Muto Vim spell must have a duration at least as long as the casting of the target spell, but need not last for as long as the spell itself. For normally-cast formulaic spells, a Momentary Duration is sufficient, but if the casting time is longer for any reason, the Muto Vim spell must also have a longer Duration; Sun is sufficient for any practical Ritual."

Yes! I reckon that anybody SGing Ars Magica stumbled over this at some time. :grinning:

2 Likes

...no, it's been superseded, and it desperately needs to be stricken out and replaced but hasn't been.

deep sigh, careful rereading of the errata doc

Okay, in that case the errata for ArM5 first printing needs to be errata-ed to match the errata for ArM5 second printing, geez.

2 Likes

Core book p.113: The box on Targets and size doesn't explicitly state whether extra magnitudes for Size are part of the R/D/T parameters or not. This is problematic for things like Flexible Formulaic Magic, MuVi, Similar Spells, and Aegis of the Hearth. It should be stated explicitly. If they are to be part of Target, there needs to either be a note added to Aegis of the Hearth (p.161) that extra magnitudes for size are allowable or else Durenmar (GotF) and Didyma (TTA) need to be altered.

If Didyma is not altered, it would make sense for at least one of those magi to have Aegis of the Hearth with an extra magnitude for size.

Separately, TTA p.85 has an odd font issue with "including" on the first line below "Covenant Organization." That's typographical rather than a word error, though.

And the "Vast Aura" Minor Site Boon (Covenants p8) needs to be a Hook instead, since you have the unpleasant choice between "you can't actually safely use this, and also it's going to attract all kinds of magical flora and fauna to your doorstep that you can't count on the usual home field advantage in dealing with" and "you need to raise several additional aegises at ridiculous expense to benefit from this safely".

1 Like

Many covenants (perhaps most) are only part of an aura. Should all covenants get a hook for there being a magical aura outside of their Aegis?

2 Likes

Any aura outside the Aegis? No. A "vast" one? ...not necessarily, but probably most of them, yes. It's definitely something that says "I'd like stories about exploring and dealing with the magical inhabitants and ecosystem of a vast aura", which sounds a lot like a Minor Hook to me.

Edit: it's pretty much the same logic as "there is a regio on the covenant site, but the covenant is not in it" being a hook, actually. A place of supernatural power you don't control, too close to ignore.

"Lamp Without Flame", Core p. 140.

The spell has a Target of Individual, which the Creo Ignem base individual is a hearth fire or large camp fire (which are about 1 pace). However the light created is 10 paces across, which would be the size of Individual with Size +1 or Group (at the very least).

Ether the size of the light produced needs to be changed to 1 pace or the spell needs to be modified with Size +1 or Target: Group.

For comparison with that core spell, Orb of Darkness (MoH p.133) needs +1 size to cover a volume of a sphere with a radius of 3 paces. To be consistent with that, Troy is right and +2 size is probably needed.

Or a note explaining why it doesn't need that in the guidelines, like "the brighter the light generated, the further it can illuminate" or whatever.

It is not illuminating out 10 paces, it is 10 paces of light source. How far it illuminates outside of that is not discussed at all in the spell.

"The spell has a Target of Individual, which the Creo Ignem base individual is a hearth fire or large camp fire (which are about 1 pace). However the light created is 10 paces across"

I'm.not sure, since a fire 1 pace accross would surely lit up an area 10 pace across, more or less. What I think your post highlights however, is the lack of a base individual of light for ignem spells, which is truly lacking.

Once again, the 10 paces is not how far the light illuminates, but how large the light source is.

Clarify whether Second Sight is just how you see things, as I've always imagined it, or something you have to actively attempt to use or do.

If the former, explain why every magus with Second Sight has not been marched for scrying the first time they looked at a fellow magus who happened to walk through town with a MuIm up.

The prohibition is against using magic to scry upon fellow magi.
Does Second Sight count as magic? I'd say no, but it is admittedly not clear.

2 Likes

It's a supernatural ability (usually) aligned with the magic realm. If it doesn't count, neither does Comprehend Magic or bloody Divination, and that just seems ridiculous. On the other hand, it's not clear that someone with Second Sight even has the ability not to use it- they're not doing anything, they just see more than a mundane would. (At least, as I've always imagined the skill.)

It might even come down to conflicting Peripheral Code rulings- I could easily believe, for example, that in Loch Leglean Tribunal, Second Sight is specifically defined as "not scrying", whereas in, I dunno, Rome? it is, and the Peripheral Code explicitly requires magi to ensure its destruction when opening the Arts of their apprentices.

Indeed. IIRC there is somewhere a Quaesitor in a book, whose Second Sight disqualified her from official investigations. I currently can't look her up, though.

EDIT: If having Second Sight in a specific Tribunal of a specific saga exposes a magus to accusations of scrying, the next generation of apprentices in that Tribunal would no longer have that Virtue: their masters would have destroyed it when opening their Gift (look it up somewhere in Apprentices).

Hence my point: if it's scrying (and it probably is) either Second Sight needs to be explicitly able to be turned off, or it needs to require Dark Secret for magi. And possibly for anyone in their employ.