Case 7: The Case of the Healing Blankets

Helpax ex Tytalus"
I agree that the accused is technically innocent, but twist the spirit of the law. Just because he did not request or was giving any material copensation does not mean that he did not damage the ideals behind why we restrict selling the magical, in any form, to the mundane. The idea behind it was not to unbalance the state of affairs in mundane socity with an over-abundance of magical artifacts. By giving away thousands of such objects he has done exactly that.

To which I can say only one thing: Well done.

You have found and exploited a flaw in the code to your gain as well as the countesses. Now, now don't be modest. You already admitted to getting some spiritual satsifaction out of this.

I completely support his innocence in this matter. Now if any of you wish to alter the prevoius ruling so that the law appiles to gifts as well as sales...by all means do so. But there is nothing here to surgest a crime.
Though out of curiosity, hy did you not give these blankets to the church, rather than a mundane lord? Well, lady but the point still stands?"

Honestly I can't see the obsessive need to thwart the topic thread, let the story be more important than the rule. As stated the story makes complete sense, the circle of thread is a circle when the blanket is laid out. Sure if this was a cliff-hanger of a story feature wherein you must trap the undead Divine dragon lich, then yes make the ring/circle rules strict and absolute, but in the case of the blankets, the story of the blanket is FAR more important than the rules of how the circle works.

Hornlach ex Bjornaer wakes up with a growl, blinking the sleep from his eyes and says, "Considering it a crime, to cast a spell on such a item, would bedevil all of us if taken to its furthest conclusion, that spells are now considered items if they are contained by a item. I can see charges of selling magic items coming forward if beset by annoying brigands I engulf one in flames and his fellow savage sells him as a candle. Ridiculous. However I gravely distrust the motive of Prospero, and his plain speak in explaining it is even more disconcerting. Even more bothersome is that none of us here can spot his crime, for I know it it there. For now, a warning will have to make do as far as I am concerned."

Sodales, I think we are not in front of a crime per se, but one that must be sanctioned. Prospero did not sell magic items, nor did he act as a court wizard, nor has it been demonstrated that this has brought ruin upon his sodales (yet) by his (blatant) meddling in the affairs of mundanes. However, his actions have a clear potential of upsetting the political equilibriums in at least that area of Europe, and that can have far reaching consequences. he has intervened in the affairs of mundanes in a level that is yet to be determined, but that cannot be encouraged.

This august body can pass legislation that deals with actions that fall outside the Code. it was the same with the case of silver creation in the peripheral code of our neighboring tribunal. Actions that affect the mundane equilibriums can be discussed and dealt with. Even if there is no crime, some measures should be applied to alleviate posible negaitve consequences.

In this case I would vote for the destruction of the blankets before they have an impact on mundane warfare, and a suggestion that such actions should not be performed by magi in the future. Smaller numbers (a maximum of say, 50) could be allowed as if they were charged items, but such large numbers can have an impact on warfare and so I would be against them. Prospero should be the one reducing the number of blankets from 1000 to 50.

IC:

Salve Sodales,

I am Mateo ex Verditius of Castillo Ocultos. I salute Prospero's idea for healing blankets. I independently came up with the idea as well, though as a magic item, rather than a spell recipient. It is highly practical.

I do not think that you have breached the Code. I do not think you have sold more than one magical item per year, for these are spells. I do not think these are permanent, for sooner or later the physical item will likely be destroyed. You have most certainly interfered with the mortals. However, their wrath will not fall upon us, as your alternate identity seems--seems, mind you--to be unconnected with the Order.

You have done everything right. You've done exactly what someone would do if their attempt was to pull a fast one and get away with something the Order feels they should not do. I question your motives in backing a particular noblewoman and her army. I fear repercussions down the road and I hope the quaesitors will keep an eye on you.
That having been said, as to this matter, I vote for Prospero's aquittal.

OOC: This is a very clever dilemna and it sounds enjoyable for use in a campaign. I'm not sure about using a ring item on a blanket, but I know you aren't looking for a debate on that point. Perhaps if he cast it upon a dozen healing baths or other stationary objects?
I did a double-take when I saw the title, because my character in a campaign a couple years ago was fond of the 'Healing Blankie' as a Lesser Enchanted Item.
Good thread!

How do you deal with the fact that with duration Ring: "The spell lasts until the target of the spell moves outside a ring drawn at the time of casting" ? Whether or not the spell survives the folding of the blankets or even works on a target that was not inside at the time of the casting (I'm dubious regarding the last, particularly since the mage still needs to sense/have a link to the target of the spell), the first time the blanket slips or the person inside has to answer a call of nature, the spell expires. In fact, the first time someone walks over the pile of blankets while they are being stored, he'll make them all expire...

Back to the politics:

I think the sheer scope of the action (one thousand blankets !) has to be ruled interfering with mundanes. If it is found out, and it is almost bound to be at that scale, at the minimum other participants in the conflict will try to find out where the blankets actually came from and demand that they be similarly gifted; with all the subsequent pestering of wizard of the Order and the anger directed at them when they refuse to be so bothered.

Furthermore, the gift was made not to one of the charitable orders who deal with the sick or the wounded, but directly to the ruler, which pushes this action out of the realm of charity and into the realm of politics.

Thirdly, the claim that the blankets were miraculous in nature may bring the attention of the Church, and angering the Church is actually putting the whole Order in danger.

The full repercussions of this reckless action will not be known for years; in consequence I recommend that the defendant be fined a large amount of vis, to be held in trust and used as necessary by the Tribunal to undo the damage to our relation with the mundanes.

As said, the same effect can be created using an item affecting all individuals in a structure with environmental trigger (a cross to be hung in the infirmary, for example), something that would be a minor item, so no real issue with the ring thingy.

I vote for acquittal with the need to remove the item (or items) from mundane hands to be substituted with something much smaller in scope (room area of effect up to 20 blankets or so).

Following cj.23's example, I'm closing this case 1 week after posting it -- but comments are of course very welcome!

RULING: Prospero of Tytalus is acquitted (for now!) but warned sternly that he's skirting the Code very, very narrowly -- and that there will be consequences should any violations come to light.
He basks in the accolades of his House mates. :slight_smile:

Huzzah... cheers for a Tytalus reason and logic winning out over the silly banter of the plebes!

:laughing: