Chapter 0: The Journey of Tamas

(Aha that kind of charms. Sorry I misunderstood. :smiley: )

Then Tamas is not interested in her offers at all. If Endre or Emil are, it's up to them.

Endre simply wave her away, saying that he's on duty. She gives a come-hither look at Emil, who blushes deeply but shakes his head negatively. The woman shrugs and leaves.

The next day, your small group happens to pass a pair of travellers who have stopped by the path with their mule-drawn cart. The cart is leaning slightly on its side, having apparently suffered from damaged axle. The pair, an older fellow and a woman, in her late twenties or early thirties, have propped up the cart to see whether it can be fixed and are now unloading its content. Amongst this is a wrapped bundle, obivously containing the body of a man. So far, none of the other travellers have stopped to help them.

Tamas stops and signs to Endre and Emil to halt as well. He approaches the man.
"Excuse me. Need help?" he tries asking in his pidgin Hungarian. He looks at Emil and Endre and makes a nod suggesting they help talking in case the man and the woman speak a language any of them knows better.

Setting aside the bundle he had been wrestling off the cart, the older man moves protectively to stand between you and the woman, even though he does not have the look of a fighting man. The woman, however, seems relieved for your offer. "Oh yes, please, can you help us?" You have some difficulty understand her, as she only speaks a few words of Hungarian. She adds a question in what sounds like German, which Endre answers to. Even the older man seems to relax a little, although he is still wary.

After more speaking a bit more to them, Endre turns to you and speaks to you in Latin. "She says that they are returning to Saxony from the Holy Land with the body of her husband, who died there. Their cart broke down and, although they think they have what it takes to fix it, she is scared that they will be left behind if it takes them too long."

At this, the woman asks you in basic Latin, "You speak Latin? Help us, please?"

Tamas looks positively surprised at the woman "You speak some Latin!" he exclaims. "We will try to help you. Endre and Emil see what you can do!"

"My name is Tamas, to what names are you listening?" He then looks at the bundled body of the woman's husband with ill-concealed disgust. "I'm very sorry for your loss, but how come you haven't buried your husband? You can't mean to bring him all the way to Germania."

"Speak slowly, please. I speak only little Latin, taught by tutor when I young."

While Endre and Emil go help the older man in emptying and fixing the cart, the woman speaks with Tamas. "My name Adelinde. My husband, Holger, is... was knight in Saxony. He had land there. We no child had, so he went to Holy Land to bring God blessing. I go with him. But he die."

"Bring him back I must, for him proof be dead. No proof, I left with nothing, land go to brother of Holger. Me have no child, for why go to brother. And him buried with parents that way."

Tamas nods suspiciously, not quite understanding her logic. "You have no child. Your husband's brother gets the land. What do you get?" he says speaking slowly.
Then he motions quickly towards the old man "Who is your companion?"

Adelinde tries to explain better. "If no bring him home, then all land go to brother. If can prove Holger dead, then get part back. What called in Latin? Came with me when we married?" She speaks a word in German to Endre, who, after thinking about it says, "I think she's speaking of her dowry." Yes, dowry!" Adelinde nods, "me father had lands too."

"This is Meffrid, servant to me husband and me. Me husband had young man fighting with him," she hesitates for the word, "squire? But remain in Holy Land, fight for other knight now."

Certainly, her clothing seem to indicate that she is indeed from minor nobility, for it is generally better than that of the other travellers you've met so far.

"I see" Tamas says seemingly understanding a bit better.
"We are going north to Germania, maybe Saxony as you call it. If we can fix your cart we may travel together. Perhaps you can tell me of your homeland on the way?" Tamas looks from the corner of his eyes at the dead body and frowns. "No offense, but I will not be close to the body of your husband."

While you were talking to the lady, your group has been passed by other travellers following the merchant convoy.

Emil, Endre and Meffrid have unhitched the cart from its mule and turned it upside down. The two older men are now working on removing the broken axle, while Emil has been sent to find a replacement. Already, it seems the last laggards will be passing you soon. It certainly looks like you will be left behind the convoy, to catch up as you can.

Adelinde brings Tamas' attention back to her as she answers him, "Yes, lord Tamas. Your presence mean more safe for us. I can speak of my home land. What of you? Where from? Why this travel?"

Tamas turns to Endre first "How long do you estimate until the cart is fixed?"

Then changing back to Adelinde "I'm Tamas of Nicomedia, third son of a nobleman but I haven't been home for many years now. My family was killed by Saracens when I was 5 years old but my uncle managed to escape with me. We fled north to Constantinople where we stayed for some time and then we moved further north." He stops as he realizes that he is talking a bit too fast for the woman to understand all of it immediately. He has made this story up in his mind before going on this trip, just for occasions like this. He says the same thing again slower so Adelinde understands better, then he continues with a sad face.
"My uncle died just two months ago." he says thinking of Kiranko so tears start welling in his eyes.

"About an hour, I think," replies Endre in slightly worried tone while scanning the edge of the woods to see whether Emil is returning with the new axle. "We'll have to hurry in order to catch up with the main group before nightfall."

"I sorry for loss," Adelinde says, after absorbing Tamas' tale. "So why go Germania? You have family there?"

Tamas just nods at Endre's answer.

"Thank you" Tamas says to Adelinde "we were very close. No I have no family in Germania, but my uncle spoke of some friends we were going to visit. He never got there so I feel that I must go there in his honour. I believe it is close to Saxony as you spoke of, but I'm not sure. Endre here is my guide as he knows the way."

As Tamas continues to hold conversation with Adelinde, Emil returns with a suitable piece of fresh wood for a new axle. The grogs and Meffrid put it in place under the cart, then whittle the ends down to fit the wheels on. It is almost mid-day by the time the cart is reloaded and ready to go, and the last group has passed you more than an hour ago. "This axle won't last long," comments Endre, "the woods hasn't had the chance to dry and harden, so it will wear off quickly. When we get a chance, we should find another piece of wood and shape another one, which will have some chance to dry and harden before we put it in place."

"Let's get going. We need to catch up with the caravan before dark. If we get to their camp when there is still light and if there are woods nearby we might see if we can find a new axle there."
Tamas helps Adelinde up on the cart but he walks next to it himself as they start to move.

The group hurries through the afternoon to try and catch up with the main group of travellers before nightfall. By late afternoon, however, Endre raises his hand in an indication to stop. "Do you hear this?" Without the creaking of the cart and the clumping of the mules hooves, the rest can hear distant noise -- various screams and shouts from many throats, coming from some distance ahead. They don't sound close, at least an hour's time at their current travel speed.

"Emil, move ahead to see if you can see what the noise is about, but be careful. I fear it may be some sort of battle. Report back as soon as you know." he tells the younger grog and then turns to Adelinde and Meffrid with a worried face.
"Let's move ahead but slower. Endre watch our rear and right flank while I check the front and left flank." he orders.

Emil goes off running. Meanwhile, Endre says to Tamas, "Let's not move ahead, my lord. We should get the cart and the mules inside the trees, for safety, until we know what's going on." He listens to the distant noises, which includes a ululating call, before adding, "It may be a little while before he comes back, but we are exposed here." After getting approval from the others, he leads them between the trees and boulders lining the road. This isn't easy for the loaded cart, but they manage to get it out of sight. They can still see the path, though not clearly.

It indeed takes a while before Emil returns. When he does, jogging down the path, Endre catches his attention and the young grog joins them in the woods.

"It's an attack," he reports, "by a group of riders. They've killed some of the stragglers and are looting their belongings. Looks like the main group has been left alone and is pushing ahead." Endre swears, before explaining, "That means we're cut off."

Tamas stands still looking down at the ground for a while. Then he turns to Emil "How many riders were there? Is there anything we can do to help the wounded survivors without risking our own lives?"

"We have to move on. But maybe it's better to stay here for the rest of the day and fix the cart properly while it's light. Then we move as early as possible tomorrow and try to catch up with the main group tomorrow evening. We need to be very careful though and look out for attackers and ambushes. This is the Cumans you spoke of Endre?"

"I saw at least twenty to thirty riders," says Emil, "but there may have been more further up the convoy." The young man shakes his head, "For now, there seemed little that we could do. There are simply too many, although they seemed busy gathering the mounts that they could find and looting the smaller carts like lady Adelinde's." He hesitates before adding, "I also saw a few travellers taken captive."

Endre comments on Tamas' plan, "That might be a bit too noisy, my lord. Any of the raiders passing by might hear us working."

The older grog also questions Emil about the riders, their mounts and their equipment. "Furs and pointed helmets certainly fit the profile for Cumans. But heavy horses, you say? Kite shields and only a few bows?" The older man shakes his head, "Something's not quite right there. Cumans are usually light cavalry, which makes sense in these mountains."