Chapter 0: The Trip of Ludovicus

As the red capped man rides out of view, Ludovicus slumps in disappointment. "Our brief glimpse of potentially-facilitated travels is now gone, Giuseppe. Still, it might not hurt to inquire about the rider at the next villages we come to. Maybe he will dally enough somewhere that we can catch up to him."

Ludovicus looks for something red and for a hat and brings them to a bargeman who doesn't look terribly occupied. Using the items as props and mimicking a horse, he tries to learn how to say "see rider with red hat?" In German.

The bargemen are not happy that you are moving from your assigned spot while they are navigating the river, as it rocks the barge and causes them to have to work harder. The captain points back to where Giuseppe is still sitting, saying something angrily in German.

(Giuseppe has a blue cap, somewhat similar to that worn by redcaps.)

A bit over an hour later, a village comes into sight around a bend in the river. The bargemen start maneuvering towards it, for it is apparently their stopping point for the night. Some time later, Ludovicus and Giuseppe can finally get off the barge for the night. Even before that, however, you are able to catch sight of a local walking a horse into a pasture with his cows.

When he sees the horse, Ludovicus breaks into a grin and elbows Giuseppe in the ribs. "Look there Giuseppe! I should not have doubted. The red-capped rider probably stopped at this village! We'll go to the inn, if there is one, and look there first. If he's not there, we'll try to find the pasturage where we saw the horse and ask the farmer."

After the barge touches land, Ludovicus hops off and walks quickly toward the village.

The village doesn't have an inn, so Ludovicus heads for the farmer's barn which is just outside the village, followed by Giuseppe. As they near the paturage where the horse is munching on spring grass, they catch sight of a man speaking with the farmer. The man's hair is damp, but he is not wearing any red cap.

Ludovicus picks up his pace as he heads toward the two men. Once they've seen Giuseppe and him, he raises his hand in greeting. Approaching a bit further, more slowly now, to a comfortable speaking range, he stops.

He looks at the man with the damp hair and asks "Pardon the interruption, but are you the rider with the red cap?", in Latin.

As Ludovicus approaches the two men to talk to them, the farmer looks at him with suspicion and distrust. The wet-haired man speaks to the farmer, asking him something. The farmer nods, then leave.

Turning to Ludovicus, he takes a moment to examine the newcomer and his companion before answering in Latin. "Yes, I wear a red cap. What do you want?" The tone is neutral and controlled, as if the man is repressing his own distaste of Ludovicus.

"I am Ludovicus of House Bonisagus, and this is Giuseppe. Might I inquire after your name and House?"

"So, a magus venturing amongst mundanes," the tone is again tinged with contained dislike. "My name is Franz. As you have guessed, I am a redcap." He seems desinclined to offer more information up front, waiting for you to express what it is that you want.

Ludovicus responds in a friendly, energetic manner, completely disregarding the undertones of aversion. "I am pleased to make your acquaintance, Franz. We are traveling to Fengheld by means of a barge on the Elbe. Perhaps you saw it, as we saw you, while you rode along the river - Giuseppe's blue cap may have stood out. In any case, I would like to find out how long it would take, by your estimate, to reach the covenant on foot. Our funds are low, and won't last the rest of the journey at the rate that we progress. I imagine you travel this route often? Are you by chance going to Fengheld yourself?"

The redcap snorts, "Short on money, eh?" He leans on the pasture's fence before continuing. "Yes, I travel this road regularly to Fengheld. Headed there, but not directly." He thinks for a moment, "By foot? If you know the way, probably a week. You'd have to leave the Elbe anyway when you reach Madgeburg, as it's about thirty miles inland from there. So probably two days anyway. If you don't get lost."

"I see." Ludovicus turns to Giuseppe, "I think we should go by land from here. It will save us time." Back to Franz now, "Could we trouble you for directions to Fengheld? Written if possible? And are there any Redcap stations along the way, where we could perhaps find a roof and food?"

"There isn't. The Mercer House is at Fengheld, and most of us can simply stop at a farmer's place to rest our horses and get additional supplies. Travelling between Fengheld and Oculus only takes a few days by horse, so there is little need for a station."

"As for getting to Fengheld, you'd be better off going to Madgeburg. There's a place where the covenant delivers wine barrels for sale, as well as purchase additional barrels. You should be able to hitch up with one of the wagon trains that travel to the covenant. Wandering the countryside by yourselves, on foot, is not a good idea."

"Very well. I must resign myself to more days of sitting idly and eating fish. Thank you for your guidance Franz. Where can we find the place in Magdeburg where the wine is sold? Not knowing the local language makes it more difficult to find things, as you might imagine."

"So you travelled here, without knowing the local language nor planning for a guide that did?" The redcap shakes his head and rolls his eyes. "Typical."

He sighs, "Even if I did give you indications to get there, it seems unlikely that you will be able to convince one of the men working at the warehouse to thrust you. Those who work there don't speak Latin, so you would only get turned away."

"Tell you what," Franz adds after a moment, "if you give me some time to conclude the business I have, I'll take you to Fengheld. It will end up costing you a couple of days, but at least you'll get there without too much trouble."

"I gladly accept! Thank you again Franz. You are most generous, and I hope to repay you one day, somehow. Now Giuseppe, let's make sure we have all of our belongings, take our leave from the usually stolid bargemen, and keep ourselves occupied until Franz is ready for us to join him."

Franz doesn't look happy at the prospect, but says, "Very well. While you fetch your belongings, let me talk to the farmer about some food for you and your man, as well as permission to sleep in the hay loft."

Later, when you join Franz again for supper, he explains his plans. "I am headed for Salzwedel, then to a small village near the Arund Lake. There's an independent magus living in the area, for whom I have messages." He points, "The town is about a day's ride southwest of here., with the lake a bit further off." The redcap then asks, "Why are you going to Fengheld?"

Ludovicus smiles encouragingly (like a creep) and nods as Franz relates his plans.

"I have submitted an application to join the new chapter house that Fengheld is founding. We travel there to see whether my application was accepted. Circumstances at our previous covenant, where I was recently Gauntletted, precipitated a hasty departure. Which is why I left before receiving a reply, and why we are in this predicament of no money and no guide."

Ludovicus pauses briefly, considers, and then continues.

"The predicament I refer to involves my former parens. He contests my status as a magus, sometimes through violent means, and I had had enough. To me, it is better to be poor, homeless, and in a foreign place than to be in such a situation. Until he finds out where I am, I can expect at least some respite.
Forgive me if I change the subject abruptly, but does this independent magus you spoke of accept unannounced visitors? I would like to meet him, if possible. I'm intrigued by how a member or the Order can get by without the resources enjoyed by members of large covenants. If my application is not accepted, then perhaps I can learn from him how to get by on my own."

Franz seems rather indifferent to Ludovicus' tale regarding his parens. When he hears the questions regarding the independent magus, however, the redcap shakes his head. "I doubt he'll be willing, although I can ask. In fact, I'll have to leave you at Salzwedel when I go to meet him. He doesn't want his exact location to be known."

"I understand completely. Please do offer him my regards and my request when you go to see him. Now, about our travels, Giuseppe and I will be ready to depart when you give the word."

"We leave tomorrow before dawn," Franz says simply. "Try not to get in trouble until then."

Something that you manage to do, for the most part. Although the cows in the barn noisily express their displeasure at having to share their home with you when you pass close to them, they settle down once you move out of sight.

Ludovicus is still bleary-eyed when he and Giuseppe follow the redcap on the road the next morning. There is a dizzle falling down and things are cold and dark, which intensifies into proper rainas the morning passes. The redcap leads his horse instead of riding and seems suspisciously unaffected by the rain, which seems to simply roll down from his cloak. You suspect it holds a minor enchantment. Meanwhile, you and Giuseppe are badly dressed for the weather are are soon quite wet and cold. The mud that forms on the road also sucks at your shoes.

Franz is mostly silent that morning, answering mostly with grunts at your attempts at conversation.