Chapter 1: Gate of Light

(I agree about moving things over to Table Talk. With so many players, our story threads are going to be crowded as-is.)

Once he’s verified that his comrade-at-arms in OK, Inigo chooses to butt out. Too many hands spoil the healing, and if he’s needed he’ll be called. Oblivious of goings-on in the infirmary, he prepares for dinner. He’ll have to get the whole story from Marcellus then.

Okay, let us jump straight to tonights banquet. Pietro is here for three days, and Antonio is out to impress him and win him over to one or more causes. Anything you wish to resolve before the banquet, speak now :smiley:

Roll call –

Pietro – Pietro is our honored guest tonight, tomorrow night, and then he departs the following morn for the Camp of Mars (Campo de Martes). As the Antares, Pietro is

Antonio - is an NPC, mainly controlled by me, but is available for any stories you wish to tell as long as I can have some input as to his actions. He will give a toast to the host, and wish Marcellus well on his recovery.

Florenzo – is another NPC, whom can be used by anyone with a story to tell. He is a member of Barcelona, not Andorra. But he is here visiting the library, taking a number of volumes from the lesser library, and adding a few new items to the premium library.

Carmen – is my character for playing with. She is not a member, but is treated as if she was, and is going to become one soon enough :wink:

Marcellus – Maybe Ximena is your stepdaughter? :laughing: Anyway, tell us the story of what happened, and about the prize you recovered!

Marie Norris – You have rested and recovered a portion of your fatigue. and are now dressed for the Banquet. And here is a little tidbit about Pietro for you. Though he made the formal declaration renouncing all other House affiliation when he joined House Flambeau, many Tytalus magi consider that a mere formality. The fact that he is harsher on his former housemates in the course of his duties simply earns their admiration for playing the part to the hilt. However, little ol’ average regular Pre 0 Com 0 you, have earned an unspoken modicum of respect from this prestigious gentleman (it shows in the way he arches his eyebrow). But beware! His respect can be harsh!

Viola – So, this is your first really fancy affair at this new covenant, eh? You wonder if this place is everything Antonio said it would be when he invited you here. You are still sort of mad at him about that argument over your tree, but you got your way in the end. You might wonder how dangerous these dark faerie caves around the other side of the mountain really are.

Xalbador – You are feeling good, the future is Bright. Your fellow Flambeau are sharing stories of their deeds, and when the look to you for a tale, they expect a grand one :smiley:

Dimir Tarr – This is the good wine! Antonio is indeed trying to impress the guest. You also know that Pietro is a good contact for you to have, for he also collects magical weapons and you can charge him premium prices.

Decimus – You feel humbled to be amongst a crowd of such respected magi. Antonio also tosted you as a guest, but we all know who the guest of honor is. And you are not quite a guest. You plan to be here for a while.

Octavian – How do you feel about Pietro? You don’t recall the War Council of the Archmagi being of any use during the Shadow Wars. And you wish there was a more formal seating arrangement that whoever sits down in the chair first gets that seat.

Dragan – Boxer, is your character coming to dinner? I need you to post something. I suppose Xavi is just as bad. At least you are both here. But get something for us to go on up on the board at least.

Buttercup – Where oh where is Buttercup?

Siccus – We haven’t heard from you in a while either :frowning: Don’t be mad that Antonio doesn’t trust you. It’s just that he doesn’t trust the Almohads and their Berber Hedge Wizards or Marabout Holy Men. These are interesting fields of study though. Be the one who supports the alternative! Bonisagus magi often stick up for Ex-Miscellanea magi in many of my games.

Well, as always, Dimir Taar is finely clothed, styling himself after a mundane lord and enjoying the fine wine.
He seems quite happy to see pietro again, as well as the other adventurous types.

He looks up at any strange magus, like Dragan Talamh, with some suspicion, but says nothing special against them.

Nonetheless, he greets each new arrivant, especially the ladies, showing pride in andorra and walking as if owning the place. He takes the service as for granted, but is able to call the servants by their name if need be.

To xalbator:
[color=red]Well, my friend, it's been a long time since we were so numerous here, this is very pleasing indeed, and the ladies are a graceful sight.
I wonder if these strange types will be up to the task, though. How would they fare against the likes of the hounds of the summer moon and their master? Not to mention menaces such as Alberto the Terrible... At least, I hope they aren't a bunch of pacifists or tree-huggers :unamused:

(Carmen points to Viola as she whispers to Dimir Taar)

[color=red]Ixnay on the reetay uggerhay :laughing:

Happy to have so many Flambeau brothers in one place, Inigo has been hitting the sauce a bit to celebrate.

[color=red] Surely, surely! Remember when we were first out looking for the hounds? Got more than we bargained for then, dint we? Musta been a few dozen of ‘em came at us with big slathering fangs. I blasted four, you hit another two. A couple got up in my face but I danced out a' th' way jus' before you flamed 'em. Those were the days, eh?

Like yah say, too many pacifists these days. Back in our day the men were real men, the magi were real magi, and magic was quick, dangerous, and, God willing, you’d wind up a charred corpse before your hair went gray!

An hour or so before the banquet, a knock is heard on the door leading to the 2nd floor of Octavian's tower. Before he can even answer, the maid Marjolaine opens the door and enters. A magical candle in hand pierces the darkness of the room. She finds the magus reading at his desk. "Master Octavian, it is time to prepare for the banquet."

The Tremere silently rises from his seat, closing the book carefully, to stand before a body length mirror. He is dressed in his finest clothing for the event favouring a mix of blacks and blues to match his raven hair. Marjolaine brings the candle closer to inspect the garments for any creases or stray strands of fabric. "It would be best to go down early to seat nearest the Host and his honoured guest."

"Your impeccable attention to detail is truly appreciated Miss Marjolaine." His voice comes as a soft whisper. Marjolaine gasps; she is startled as she looks up to face Octavian. The magus inclines his head towards the sound of the maid's alarm. He notices the reflection of his eyes on her face and her mixed expression of fear and surprise. He turns his head towards the mirror, closing his eyes partially.

Marjolaine calms herself after a deep breath and resumes the task at hand. The deafening silence compels her to speak. "All the magi are expected to be in attendance. Even master Marcellus has returned."

"I will endeavour to convey my greetings upon him should the opportunity arise." He extends his arm for her to check the sleeve.

The maid continues to engage the magus in awkward small talk which he dutifully replies with little window to follow-up. She finally finishes by fastening a cloak clask in the shape of House Tremere's sigil. She circles Octavian and finally exclaims. "The master does certainly appear dashing this eve."

Octavian nods politely to the compliment. "You are most kind to say so. You are relieved of your duties for the rest of the evening."

With that he offers a slight bow and heads downstairs to the banquet hall. There the servants give him a wide berth. The quaesitor takes seat on the opposite side of Antonio of where Pietro is expected to be, carefully leaving a free chair for Carmen to sit next to her father.

[color=red]Well, we were young and novice by then. Today, they just wouldn't stand a chance against me alone.

I like exercising my power, burning my ennemies, slashing them to shreads... More and more, it's tribunal, quaesitores... We are magi!!! Power incarnate!!! Not pestering lawyers! Tell you, if this keeps up, we ain't gonna be able to throw an honest wizard's war anymore.

Ha ha! I forgot to finish this paragraph…

As the Antares, Pietro is on a tour visiting other Archmagi that are members of the War Council. There is a Grand Symposium coming up, and Pietro likes to have certain things in place ahead of time. (these are concepts of my own devising, Archmagi have strange mysterious ways). His next stop is Campo de Martes, then Duresca and onward. He is surveying the Damage of the Shadow Wars upon the Iberian Tribunal. He considers Andorra part of Iberia, and is puzzled by your adherence to some old quirky charter. But the idea of rediscovering and reestablishing Val-Negra, well, that is an intriguing opportunity.

When it is Carmen’s turn to tell a tale, she tells the story of her visit to Campus Ares up north, and about her participation of an expedition to recover the Crown of the Frost Queen from the troll wizard Mogthrasir. In the course of events, she managed to slay the Linnorm of Vugarth Swamp. She says that she called down a devastating windstorm upon the snake-dragons lair, leaving the beast open and exposed. She thus rescued Myrmidias of Tremere from the monster (who had just pulled him into the swamp). Quickly snatching up the tooth her comerade-in-arms had risked his life for, she used the Arcane Connection for the penetration bonus as she stabbed the tooth into the beasts neck, casting CrAu20 Fist of Jupiter as she did. Knocking the serpent asunder, she finished it of by multicasting Incantation of Lightning bolts at it.

[color=red] :smiling_imp: That's the way to go, girl! But then, you're your father's daughter lift his cup to carmen

Surprise Announcement

Pietro makes a formal announcement, having his personal scribe at his side recording what he says. Speaking from the Office of the Antares, Pietro declares his support for Antonio’s plan to reconstitute the Val-Negra Tribunal, and furthermore pledges resources as discussed to the effort of recontacting/rediscovering Val-Negra. To that end, as agreed, Pietro will post an agent of the War Council here at Andorra to manage these resources and to manage any threats to the security of the project.

In private, they had discussed the possibility of forming an Archmagi Council of Val-Negra, but they still needed some more support before that would be feasible. And to get more support, they need results. To get those results, they depend on underlings such as you. None of you know any of this as characters. I just figured that, as players and potential beta & gamma storyguides, you should have some idea of what the back-story is.

Anyways, Antonio has agreed to the creation of this post. They would have an Advisory Vote, just like the senior visiting Mercere magus has (which is Decimus, though some think he deserves full membership if Rodrigo cannot be here to fulfill his duties). Like Decimus, their Lab costs and vis stipend would be paid for by their sponsor (in this case being Pietro).

Then Pietro announces that his chosen representative shall be Carmen.

Those of you who have been here a while have heard this Val-Negra talk before. Nothing ever comes of it. It is just the excuse our supporters give that helps perpetuate our strange status. We need to keep the issue out of the agenda for thr 1228 Grand Tribunal.

Decimus enjoys the banquet peacefully, carefully observing his new covenantmates, who is boastful, who drinks to much etc.

Where on the table is Decimus located? Who sits next to him?

You sit next to Octavius, who assuredly got himself a good seat.

Lejla greets the others and sits down next to her housemate.

In the meantime, Marie returns to her sanctuary. As usual, dressing takes a while, but the long-sleeved blue dress she chooses elegantly hides her deformity. Before she leaves she sees that someone sent back her glove of vigor, which she puts on a shelf. She sighs as she leaves for the banquet - splitting her concentration between levitating food and participating in gossip... but then again, a fellow Tytalus at the table (a crafty one, pretending to be one of those duty-and-honor-flambeaux) might be entertaining. Not to forget Marcellus story - no doubt a lovely piece of self-glorification.
Marie can't help but smile as she enters the room where the others sit at the table. She doesn't sit though - as a lady she can expect a chivalrous invitation by one of the other Magi: this is an official event after all, and she is sure that no flambeau can resist performing such a flamboyant gesture of chivalry.

I just want to comment that little narratives like this are awesome. :smiley:

Another awesome narrative! If you are looking for chivalry from Flambeau magi, I reccomend France. :laughing: Carmen is a girl, and she is not gonna pull out the chair for another girl. Antonio thinks it would be disrespectful to you to treat you like a delicate femme, rather than the potent maga which you are. Pietro might do it, but he waits to see what others do.

That means we need a diversion. A big threat, maybe? :smiling_imp: Another possibility is to make ourselves either needed, or unwelcomed.

Intrigue, plotting...

[color=orange]Oh, a craftul one, I see.
Well, this is funny, and almost nice. We could play this dance, it would be entertaining... Naaah, let's just see how she handles herself, that might be even more fun :smiling_imp:
Dimir just looks at Marie, and smiles a inhuman smile

Food is served! Mutton! Roast Beef! Poltry! Fresh fruits and vegitables! Trays are being passed around by the servants, and the coversation is lively.

Antonio is disappointed by Pietro's surprise announcement. That foils the plan to put an agent in his camp. In fact, it had the reverse effect! Carmen is not happy either. Now she is stuck back as a quasi-member of her home covenant.

[color=orange]What does the old man want exactly? Is this a tentative to slowly take control of us? Should we be wary of Carmen? What's between these two? This is my covenant, and I like it the way it is, I won't let him take it from me.

If you discuss the matter with a friend (say, a companion of yours), then the following advice is offered.

Good Question! Debate may rage as to who is more powerful. Pietro is better with Lightning, but Antonio is more diverse. But Pietro is the obvious superior when it comes to intrigue and politice

Probably not. It is a means of keeping the upper hand though

Probably not. She knows where her greater loyalties lie. So does Pietro. More likely he was trying to stymie Antonio's plan

Who knows? :laughing:

Agreed! Talk to Carmen in private. She is most unpleased by this.