Chapter 1: The Covenant Ablaze

You shove the vis into the heart of the creature. As your hands make contact, the creature convulses and then slowly shrivels up on itself, getting smaller and smaller. It shrinks to a single point and goes out in a puff of noxious smoke.

You rolled a zero and then DIDN'T botch despite 16 (!!) botch dice.

whew! (wipes sweat from forhead...)

Nonna reaches up her hand and holds out her ash-stained palm to the wind she has called down. "If you could be a dear and carry some of this ash and smoke up the mountain to our friends, that would be lovely. They should know that the windbreak is gone, too."

Jonathan wants to collapse. He wants to chuck it all, find that pretty blonde girl, and just live a natural life.

But duty comes first. He calls out with a voice of Leadership, requesting a status report on this and that. How many people dead? How many injured and how bad? What was saved from the library, what is left? What about the covenant infrastructure? How much is intact? Is there any safe spot for habitation? What happened to my lab? Howmany levels of fatgue am I down? How much confidence did I spend? Is it daylight yet? Who is on breakfast detail? Lets get some food...

You are able to scrounge up a little food and take some time to rest.

There are buildings and things around the covenant grounds that will serve as shelter, and Jonathan's personal lab escaped with just a little singeing, as did the kitches and dining hall of the manor. It appears about half of the current staff is injured in some way, but there are surprisingly few deaths - less than a dozen at first count.

Is there anything you would like to do/help with/investigate before we close up the chapter?

Bury our dead, tend our injured, pray, and begin rebuilding. If there is anything that looks like evidence or a clue or whatnot, I preserve it. Otherwise, my main focus is caring for the people. And looking for that girl :wink:

Winds will start by checking on the texts that she and Ilmari recovered from the fire. After making she those are somewhere dry and safe, she will offer her meager services to the wounded. As people settle down into the different buildings and rooms that remain standing, Winds will generously cast her spell, Warming the Winter's Chill, on sleeping quarters to help keep everyone warm without the fear of fire for the night.

When the smoke clears and the building cools, Winds goes in search of her guest room to see if any of her things survived the fire. Some of the journals from her pater were stored there, and she is anxious to know if anything remains. After that, she will venture deeper into the manor to see if Ilmari's ice and snow saved any more of the library.

Ursala will offer beds at the Mercere Chapter house to all the Magi.

"We have enough empty rooms that we can house you for some time. We had best get these text under a dry roof."

She directs Kanutus and Rowena to help carry the library books and scrolls to the Redcap house.

Your labs are all more or less intact, which means once the building and other areas have been deemed safe you can probably return to them. Significant portions of the library have been saved thanks to your efforts, though it may not be as great as it was for a long time. Winds, the journals of your pater are among the books saved.

This is the end of the story part of this thread. Feel free to continue to post if you have tidying up to do.