Chapter 1

Sceparnius pulls the horses off the path near the inn, near whatever cover he can find. "The horses need a break," he mutters to anyone listening in the back of the cart, "and we could all stand to get out and stretch as well."

He hops down from the front of the cart, walks forward and gives each of the horses an apple, then wanders back to the rear of the cart to check on the group. Leaning forward, he speaks more quietly to the group.

"Someone had better stay with this cart," he begins, "unless we want everything stolen, and some difficult questions asked. Make sure nothing too luxurious is visible, and then, if you want to go in, go ahead. See if you can get some oats from the innkeeper, and I could do with some food myself, if you can find any."

He then fiddles around for a while checking out the cart and horses, more to stretch his legs and stay awake than for any real need, before returning to his seat in the front of the cart. He'll stay out here while anyone that wants to visit the inn gets a chance to do so, hopeful that his presence on the cart will keep anyone from looking too closely at the contents in the back.

The lack of motion in the cart wakes Marcella. This time it's daylight. She casts her Aura of Ennobled Presence, taking care to be out of sight.

When Osbertus goes looking for a meal, Marcella stays with the cart, looking around. (Marcella gets an 8 on Area Knowledge, 8:52PM PST) She thanks Osbertus, and rapidly consumes the meal. She's spent a lot of time looking at her sodales, and realizing that there's a lot of potential there, but it's still potential.

Marcella watches carefully, then gets back in the cart, to sleep more. She'd be busy when they arrived at their destination.

Arrival at Dunwich

The sun is setting as you arrive on the outskirts of Dunwich. The wagon rolling down the road is greeted by hails and salutes from the villagers, a diverse group of ages and represented by both genders. The air smells of the sea, a crisp and salty smell that seems to tingle in the nose. The sky blazes with orange-red fire, as if Apollo himself had set it aflame with his chariot.

As you enter the boundaries of the town, Aureliana’s eyes widen. “There is an aura here, and strong.”

This is certainly not a bustling city, but the township extends for a few miles from the Roman fort. Music and laughter can be heard from several directions as evening relaxation begins, and the sunset casts long shadows over the landscape. Within a few minutes, the group arrives at the fort itself - the structure is vast, though in a severe state of disrepair. Holes stud the outer walls and it is obvious that some of the stone has been plundered for use in other buildings. Still, the inner structures are relatively intact, and consist of several buildings with causeways between them, relatively tightly packed (see attached image).

What do you do or wish to know?

OOC: The castle was bought as Curtain Walls and Mural Towers, but also with Crumbling.

[center]Jadranka ex Verditius[/center]

Having finally arrived at the site, Jadranka found herself smiling at the prospect of inspecting a new town and whatever building had been deemed to be theirs. All the new architectural and engineering secrets of the far north had her giddy; she had studied the classic Romanian and Transylvanian styles of her home, but now she was going to get the chance to look at something new. Something new. And when the cart finally stopped, she jumped down onto the ground, quickly striding towards the nearest wall, running her fingers over the stone as if she were a doctor examining a patient.

"A bit on the old side, and perhaps in need of some repair. But sturdy enough, I think."

She took out a quill and quickly dipped it in some ink, scribbling quickly onto a spare piece of parchment, calling back towards the group about what she found.

"It's sturdy, but there are many gaps in the walls, and it wouldn't withstand a directed assault. Not without some reinforcements, anyhow. We need to find a few quality stone-masons and a whole lot of carpenters to get her back to her former glory. And quickly, I must add."

[hr][/hr]
Rolled in the OOC thread for Engineering: @Ghost (Jadranka): 1d10+2 Engineering = (9)+2 = 11

Sceparnius calls for Nutmeg and Marigold to stop as the cart crosses through the ruined gatehouse. He swings himself down slowly from the seat and walks forward, a little stiff from a long day's travel followed by the long night before it without any real rest. Glancing about, he surveys the ruined castle that he and his new companions are to call home.

He watches Jadranka jump down and smiles at the giddiness in her step. "Certainly!" he calls in response. "I'm happy to lend some magic to the effort, if I can, but I have no real skill in construction. We must seek the local builders, and soon."

It's certainly seen better days, he thinks to himself. Are we supposed to be magi or engineers? But there's something vital in the air as well, a magical reality overlaying the mundane ruins, that crackles with possibilities. Maybe this place could be defended, he thinks. Maybe it's worth defending. And maybe it's willing to help us defend it.

He paces slightly and makes a few arcane gestures in the air, trying to work the spell spontaneously, and for a moment he can see the aura overlaid across his vision. It's strong indeed - strong outside the walls, and even stronger within them. "Sodales!" he calls. "There is a strong magical aura in this town, and inside the walls, even stronger - enough to cause Warping to those susceptible to it. This will be a fine place to build our laboratories."

The spell faded so quickly it's hard to recall the images it cast forth, but the sense of potentiality lingers. Sceparnius will quickly tour the ruins, seeking to determine if there's anywhere sturdy enough to live in, or whether the group will need to reside in Dunwich town for a season or two as repairs commence. He'll also look to find a place for the horses to rest and for the group to hide what they've hauled from Pandulf's lodge. Eventually, he'll want to join his companions if they head into town and seek Johann, and a hot meal, but for now, he has spent about 36 hours awake in a stretch and is in no mood for grand adventures until the next day. If nothing exciting happens until then, he will ask Johann, or another local translator, to accompany him on a tour of the logger's worksites and farm fields.

[OOC: Rolled a 3+7 / 2 = 5 for a spontaneous Intellego Vim casting. There's a magical aura of strength 7 inside the walls of the fort, and 5 outside.]

Aureliana grins. “Such magical power will be an ally in our adventure!” She begins pacing the grounds. “There are enough sound buildings for us to each have our own, and a council chamber besides. But for storage or a library, we will have to do some repairs.”

Having done a thorough job with the architecture, Jadranka looks over the area and realizes that they have no idea if there is an aura or not. At least, she is unaware, and she needs to know. She scales the tower to its highest point and looks out over the town and the surrounding environ, opening her mind to see magic, her arms waving as wheat in the wind and her voice spreading as smoke. Her eyes light up, the magic coursing through her quickly and chaotically, her mind barely comprehending what is happening or why.

"It's a huge dome," she shouts out, "stretching to the edge of town, lit by blue and purple flames! I see...demons! Silhouettes in the fire, with claws and spread wings, engaged in battle! Lunging, moving, evading, cutting...as they spiral downwards towards the base of that building there!"

She points at the stonework of the largest building, where the figures dissipated into, hoping the others could see and hear what she was talking about.

Dair looks less at the buildings and more at the surrounds and the waterways. Like many of the others he walks through the fort carefully, looking for oddities. Looking for opportunities too.
Of particular interest is the tower which looks out to the sea, he will be seeking that as a sancta. Not as a demand, but speaking openly and smiling about how refreshing and pleasing it would be.

OOC: Dair tried to open his Second Sight but scored a lowly 2, so probably does not see anything of note (unless the roll was a non-stress, then total was 12).

Edit: and sometime in the first few hours Dair fits in a swim.

”I didn’t see anything either, but that doesn’t make sense; with that display earlier, and with what Marcella said about the cold...something should be here.”

Marcella walks around the site, looking at any surviving structures.

She sees that the towers on the walls are missing lots of masonry; some of their roofs are collapsed, some have windows far larger than they should be. Two are totally destroyed. Many columns are broken or chipped, and one of the arches lies fallen and scavenged for stone.
The tower that the creatures vanished into is the best preserved building here; if Marcella didn’t know better, she’d put it at 50 years rather than centuries.
The garden spaces are wild and untamed, overthrowing into the paths and onto roofs, roots digging into stone.
One side abuts the water, and there are several holes in that wall

Marcella casts a short-lived, personal version of Eyes of the Cat, going into the tower, seeing what kind of shape the well-preserved tower is in.

She sees that any materials or supplies have long been cleaned out, but the stone and structures - even the wooden ones - are basically intact. It has five floors and one sublevel, along with an expanded entryway space, like a foyer.

Marcella pulls her sword, and casts Blade of the Virulent Flame on it, heading down into the sublevel

The flame leaps up, and at the same time the air temperature drops by twenty degrees. The sublevel is larger than the room above it by about half. She can see the pillars and foundations that hold the tower in place; all seem in decent repair. A few Roman coins glint from within small cracks in the walls and floor.

Marcella looks around for any further tunnels, or inhabitants and finds none.

As she heads out of the sublevel, Marcella notices that the temperature differential drops off as soon as she leaves the stairs leading down to the sublevel.

Marcella leaves the well-preserved towers, and mentions that temperature change. "Perhaps there is even a remaining enchantment here from prior inhabitants."

Osbertus gets out of the wagon and meanders around the site for a while. When he sees everyone gathered around the central building, he joins them.

"Sorry, I'm not much use at that sort of thing. But I'm sure we can figure it out with a more deliberate effort."

"This place is really nice. But it definitely needs some serious repair work. Anyone got an idea where to get funds? We could go look for that treasure, if anyone thinks they can find it magically...I got a few leads from the barkeep, too. I'm going to head into town for now, if anyone needs me, look for the loudest celebration. I'll be ready to go in the morning if anyone is up for that. Maybe split up into a couple of groups to address our various challenges?"

As he walks off, he points at the southeastern tower (the one on the coast nearest the town - assuming Dair referred to the one farther from town).

"Oh, and I'd like that one, if nobody minds."

He goes into town and hangs out with the locals for a while, coming back in the small hours of the morning and collapsing into the wagon bed.

[[OOC: Awareness roll 3, spots nothing. Charm roll 15, makes a good impression with people in town.]]

“It shouldn’t take long.” Aureliana hurries out to speak to everyone : “Oktavia found the regio! We should investigate it before something comes out we don’t expect.”

Sceparnius quickly casts Eyes of the Cat upon himself and walks cautiously into the tower.

"This is gonna be great!" Osbertus rubs his hands together in glee and follows Sceparnius. "If there are ghosts down there do we fight, flee, or negotiate?"

"Ghosts?" Sceparnius thinks for a minute, then smiles. "I think we ask them where your treasure is! But if they look anything like that vision, we'd better head back upstairs."

"Well, we can try... but ghosts like keeping treasures.” Then Osbertus grins. "I can mess 'em up a bit if it comes to that"

”I’ll let you two handle that while I scout the place,” winks Aureliana. ”A regio underneath an ancient Roman fort? Who knows what magics lie within?”

The group enters the sublevel, where Oktavia is waiting.

”I didn’t see anything in there from outside... but we’ll find out,” Oktavia chimes in as she hears Aureliana’s last remark while approaching. She smiles at everyone in turn. ”Should we take any precautions? I’m not an expert by any means, but I know regiones can occasionally be treacherous...”

"Well, it'd be nice if we could find the entrance without using magic... just in case... but there aren't many precautions we can take,” Osbertus answers.

”Not until we’ve seen what’s in there, anyway.” Aureliana is almost bouncing on the balls of her feet now.

Oktavia nods. “Well... alright, then. I’ll just be prepared to back us out if anything seems off. When you’re all ready, link up your hand in a chain connecting to me.” She takes a deep breath, then gestures forcefully and recites the incantations to see the path before her again.

The spell works flawlessly, and the group steps through to the next regio level. Immediately, you are assaulted by the sounds of loud conflict, with slamming rock and metal ringing on metal coming from above. The room you are in is stocked with Roman style weapons and armor, but made out of a deep blue steel none of you are familiar with.

Ozymandius whispers, "I have a bad feeling there are a bunch of Romans upstairs...do you think ghosts or some sort of time displacement? I can try to talk to them if you think it's a good idea..."

Jadranka listens to the noises coming from somewhere above and/or around them, and then she hears the comments about the voices being a bit disembodied. Realizing that ghosts don't give off body heat, she casts a quick formulaic spell, taking a look around to see if anything is giving off any kind of heat...and if a trail of that heat can be found.

"Well, they aren't ghosts," Jadranka says as she moves her head about. "And there are several of them up there. Not sure how many, but they are warm enough to be seen through the ceiling. Some moving about - a bit faster than I'd like - and some standing still."

Osbertus raises an eyebrow. "Can you see people through walls? Or do you think they're fire spirits or something?"

“With the spell I've got activated, I can see their body heat. And with this next one..." Jadranka moves her arms about, casting another spell. "Oh boy. 12 of them. Not human, but humanoid...ish. The youngest one is 200, while the oldest is 800. Not sure if they are male or female, though."

"Fey, then? Something humanoid but real enough to give off heat..." Sceparnius trails off.

”Could be. But we’re outnumbered and there is certainly either a battle or a very realistic training exercise going on,” adds Aureliana.

"I'm going out there, back me up? I'm going to try to make nice." Osbertus steps through the doorway (but not so quickly he can't be stopped).

I guess I did just tell him to negotiate Sceparnius thinks. He moves carefully to follow Osbertus.

Aureliana will also follow, but will stay back to help Oktavia if she is going too.

Jadranka follows slowly behind.

In the Regio…

As the group ascends the stairs, the first thing that strikes you is the state of the fort - unlike in your world, the wounds on the stone of this fort are fresh, new gashes and craters in the walls everywhere, with rubble strewn in the streets. Cries and calls can be heard from all corners, along with the continuing sounds of battle and conflict. True to Jadranka’s divinations, you see twelve soldiers - at least, you assume they are soldiers by the armor and weapons they carry, each crafted from the same blue metal you saw in the sublevel on arrival, which covers them from head to foot. One of them seems wounded, with deep purple blood gushing from an open gash in their stomach, while two others attempt to staunch the injury.

None of them have noticed you yet.

What do you do?

Osbertus looks very taken aback. He quietly moves out of the tower, and attempts to skirt the edge of the building outside to see more of the surroundings.

[[If the soldiers notice him, he will try to converse with them as if he's a confused and lost non-combatant, and figure out what they are; if they just attack he will put up his hands in surrender and take the same tack; if that doesn't work he will use Scent of Peaceful Slumber. Otherwise he's trying to be unobtrusive without being sneaky and just look around, and frankly relying on sodales who are better at assessing such situations. Awareness roll is 4.]]

Marcella casts Aura of Ennobled Presence, making her seem more important and impressive.

12! A dozen of the metal soldier...things! Jadranka could barely contain herself with the validation that her previous spell had worked. But she needed to calm herself down and check her emotions; they had stepped into the middle of a massive battle, and not paying attention could be disastrous. And so she stayed near the back of the group, readying a defensive spell in the event one was needed.

Aureliana chants...something - her spellcasting is unfamiliar to the others - and shifts her features to a crusty old woman with a facial tic and eyes that dance around the space.

Sceparnius takes in the battle scene with wide eyes. As Osbertus moves away from the tower, he composes himself enough to quickly cast a defensive spell, just in case.

[OOC: Shriek of the Impending Shafts, +9 to Defense against wooden weapons and automatically dodge wooden missiles fired from more than ten paces away. Roll is in Discord]

OOC instructions: Dair will stay with the group and subdued, he knows his enthusiasm needs to be tempered by the potential conflict. Staying alert and watching the team’s back. If all hell breaks loose he won’t hesitate.

OOC: Marcella waits for an attack, and will launch Arc of Firey Ribbons on them. She'll then use Pilum of Fire, as needed. She will not strike the first blow, but intends to strike the last one.