Chapter 1d: The Haunted Covenant

Let's say the earlier of the two days--I want everyone there.

There's no shade of recognition--he just keeps trudging with his burden along the route.

Scott

OK, so it's that night, after our conversation. We have not yet sought out the wisewoman. I assume Viola has returned as well based on the above comment.

In that case, Tasia will start following them to see where this road leads. "Anyone else want to see where they're headed?" she asks of any of her compatriots near her?

Patrick will join Tasia, curious, but letting the Quaesitor lead the action. He's a bit tense, and ready to defend people. To calm himself, he's counting out his aura-sensing rotes (detecting the strength of each possible aura type, 1 per round, magic, faerie, divine, infernal. Due to rote math, this will always suceed unless I step into a major penalty aura).

He also tries to pay attention to any indications of what the original layout was, based on spectral movement.

OOC: I don't have my books on me. Is there any useful info I can get from a spont'd InMe spell on these ghosts?

Tasia and anyone who follows her finds that the ghostly laborers are walking a more or less straight, and fairly wide (a few paces across), route south to the tree line. Once you reach the treeline, you discover that the laborers stop there, disposing of their burdens and picking up new ones.

It depends on how big a spont we're talking. Sensing one emotion is InMe 5, as, for that matter, is controlling a spirit (but you have to penetrate in either case, obviously).

Scott

In 9 + Me 8 + Sta 2 + Aura ? = >20, so I can spont an InMe10 with Fatigue. I'd like to cast something that'll help determine what kind of ghosts we're dealing with. He's also got Int +2, Magic Theory 4 (spells), Magic Lore 2(creatures).

As midnight passes, Gregorius' attention is elsewhere - he's clearly performing his Parma ritual. That done, he casts Bitter Taste of Betrayal (In 6 + Vi 5 + Sta 1 + Aura 4 + die 4 (invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3125420/) = 20 vs target 15), then follows the other magi outside where Alcimus is waiting for him. He stands watching the ghosts for a few minutes, looking for any that seem to show more signs of intelligence or will. He then heads for one of the (standard) men travelling into the city, hailing him as he does so in Latin:

"Salve, sir! May I see your wares?"

If that gets no response, Alcimus steps up beside him, and gazes into the ghostly eyes.

"Stay a while and speak with us," the wolf commands.

[OOC: Alcimus is attempting to use entrancement. Score is Entrancement 9 + Pres 3 + Aura 4+ die 0/10, no botch unless extra botch dice needed (invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3125393/) = 16/26. Based on Rival Magic (pgs 90 and 95), I think this counts as an innocuous request (although coming from a monstrous wolf to a ghost may alter this), which implies an ease factor of 3+6 = 9, for a penetration total of 7/17. If it looks as though it's probably bounced, and there's no reaction at all, he'll try once more:]

"Tell us what you do here." (16 + die 8 (invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3125409/) = 24, penetration 15.)

[OOC note: Useful totals are

Gregorius mentem resistance: 11 + Aura
Gregorius Second Sight: Second Sight (regiones) 3 + Per 3 + Aura.
Gregorius Premonitions: Premonitions (allies) 3 + Per 3 + Aura
Gregorius Awareness: Awareness (searching) 2 + Per 3
Gregorius Magic Lore: Magic Lore (creatures) 2 + Int 1.

Alcimus magic resistance: 10 + Aura
Alcimus Awareness: Awareness (food) 3 + Per 2.

[OOC: it's non-ideal, but you could probably get an idea of which realm they are by casting wards affecting each in the middle of the path they're using and seeing if they have to start going round it. This relies on you getting a high enough level ward to affect them of course, but if none of the 4 do, you at least have some idea of their power level.]

That would not occur to Patrick on his own. If the other magi suggest it, he'd do it for at least Faerie (ReVi 15, CT 33) and Infernal (shifted down to Diameter duration, ReVi 20, CT 33).

Mentem Resistance 23, if it matters.

That would be enough for an Instant spell at range Touch--are you going to try that? And if so, you'll need to be specific about what you're trying to detect.

Scott

If you want to do this, roll the dice and I'll give you the result.

Scott

[OOC: Why Vim rather than Mentem? His casting score's better the latter way. And Gregorius would suggest it if he's with Patrick (which I'm not sure is currently the case, or if Patrick had voiced similar thoughts to him previously.

Also, MTKnife, did you spot my post on what Gregorius and Alcimus were doing?]

No, sorry, I completely missed it. Alcimus gets no reaction whatsoever from the ghosts.

Scott

I think I'd rather go for range:eye, but that doesn't seem possible if the ghosts aren't aware of us. Before I choose an effect, let me ask this: with the skills listed above, what do I know about ghosts and other Mentem creatures? What could I look for within the spont'd spell range that would give some clue as to the spirit's powers? For instance, if I try to sense the current emotion of a ghost, would that give me some clue as to its powers?

Is there a spont by which I could directly measure their Might?

I memorized ReVi vs Faerie and ReVi vs Infernal, because Vim wards trump Form-based, as near as I can tell. They're more versatile and seem to have no downside. I can invent a single ReVi vs Faeries, versus a different Re(Fo) for each type of faerie. When designing the character

Okay, then! Patrick will draw a 5-foot diameter circle (I'm picturing him drawing it with a sword-length stick, or something) in their path and cast Ward Against Faeries, ReVi 10 (Touch, FFM - Ring shifted down to Diameter, Circle). His spell is accompanied by the sound of rushing water.

Re 14 + Vi 5 + Ward Focus 5 + Sta 2 + Circles 3 + Aura ? + die 5 = 34 + Aura vs 10.

The circle will ward against Faeries of Might 15 or less for a diameter. After observing their behavior now for a handful of minutes, he'll go over to a slightly different spot and draw another 5-foot circle in the midst of their path, only this time casting Arcane Ward Vs Demons, ReVi 20 (Touch, Ring, FFM- Arcane Circle shifted down to Circle), using the same totals as above:

Re 14 + Vi 5 + Ward Focus 5 + Sta 2 + Circles 3 + Aura ? + die 9 = 38 + Aura vs 10.

A tide of magic flows out from his hand, spreading out in two directions before invigorating the circle, whereupon the circle's interior seems to wash away, revealing a complex pattern of hexagons filling the entire circle. The circle will ward against Infernal creatures of Might 20 or less until the circle is broken.

Ah, right. I'd been thinking in terms of spontaneous spells. (Weirdly, by the time you take Ring/Circle bonuses, his focus and the aura into account, I think he can actually cast stronger spontaneous wards than the formulaic ones he's learnt. More tiring and potentially riskier as well, of course.)

Frowning slightly, Gregorius and Alcimus go to catch up with Tasia and Patrick. He keeps looking about him as he walks, watching for any sign of departure from the apparent pattern.

Well, you know they've got Might, almost by definition, which means you're very unlikely to penetrate with any but the smallest spont--you might be able to determine their realm, but that's about it. Viola might be able to do a bit more.

No joy--they walk right through the circle, and through Patrick, for that matter. He's never experienced a chill quite like that.

Scott

"Well, this is interesting. They seem to be ignoring our covenant and ourselves. I wonder if what they are depositing might accumulate as vis now or over time. I wonder where it's coming from, too. That's the next spot to check." Tasia heads backward along the line of ghosts, trying to find the spot where they are coming from.

There's no spot where they're coming from--they reach each end and then turn around to proceed to the other.

Scott

Gregorius suggests to Patrick, "try magic, just to be sure? We could probably use it to get an idea of their Might, as well."

[OOC: Forgot to do my addiction rolls, but I pass them all, anyway]

Patrick smirks. "I say, you are magi yourselves, innit'cha? Only, I don't believe I've seen either of you actually perform any yet. You've been leaving all the fun to me." His eyes are probably slightly dilated by this point, but there's little else to reveal the sense of inebriation he feels.

Re 14 + Vi 5 + Ward Focus 5 + Sta 2 + Circles 3 + Aura ? + die 2 = (31 + Aura)/2 vs 10.

Another wet, mossy breeze rolls past the ghosts and magi as he finishes drawing the circle closed.