Chapter 1g: The Council of Ober

Quercus refuses the cheese. He certainly liked his, but there are more pressing matters here. This is not going well, but he tries

Not fools, just practical people. We want to trade with you, we want to be good neighbours and offer your business and work opportunities. It is up to you to take advantage of them or say "no thanks" and continue living as you have been so far.

There will not be 20 of us here in the plateau, but a large dozen are likely to be around. We will have more people in the city below, so yes, there are 20 or so of us, not all of them up here.

We offer jobs, we offer resources and we offer help in achieving things that you might have problems getting otherwise. In our opinion it is a fair deal. We do not want you to change your ways or to be as we want you to be, because we do not want you to be anything. You are who you are and we respect that. We will just be over there, by the tree. You can still go around there with your sheep if you want, but there will be a few buildings around.

This last point is unlikely to change, though: We want to settle by the tree for sure, and we are able to offer you firewood at a very low price and probably also some other services that you might find useful, like running water in the future. You are not fools and we can be seen as trespassing from your point of view but we certainly pretend to be the most convenient trespassers you will ever have. We would actually like to have a good relationship with you.

Quercus will burn up to 2 confidence points if necessary.

The elders seem somewhat placated by Quercus' words, although not really convinced. You at least get the angry one to sit down again.
(OOC: The 2 points of Confidence were used.)

"You miss the point," says the spokesman. "You rob us of some of of our land, and the fodder it provides for our flocks, by your mere presence here. You want to build houses in the par of it where the best grass grows. When we objected to that, the other fellow here," he points to Japik, "said you would 'increase' production of what we need instead. Why should we agree to this? We do not need you here to live. In fact, it is your presence here that would threaten us. For you say you will build houses, dig up the land of our ancestors, 'excavate' the rock upon which we live."

"We do not need your 'jobs' and your 'resources'. We have learned to live here, following the traditions of our ancestors, and it is upon this land that with do so. You speak with both sides of your mouth. On one side you say that you respect our ways and do not want to change them, but on the other side you claim that you offer more than you take."

He cocks his head to one side, then points to his ear. "You claim to be listening," then he places his hand over his heart, "but you obviously do not understand." The is muttered agreement from the other elders.

[redacted]

OOC:

• Prochorus has -5 casting for No Gestures to all his spells
  • Notes of Delightful Sounds cannot be R:Per, since the target is the music and how it sounds to others, not yourself.
  • He cannot rest between spells if he keeps playing and singing.
  • He brought the kantele? From Prochorus' character description: Prochorus always carries a thin drum that is about a pace across. Sometimes he also carries a small Kantele strapped across his back.
  • Starting to make music and sing during delicate negociations seems totally inappropriate to me...

I will post again later to describe the elders' reactions. I need to think about it for some time to come up with something that makes sense... :wink:

OOC: Thinking about it some more, I'll let Wits decide whether he wants to adjusts Prochorus' actions to my previous comments (first 3 points in particular), before posting the elders' reactions.

OOC: I will hold a bit as well but if Prochorus decide to go on with the playing I think Japik will interrupt him when he realizes what he is about to do. It's not going to do us any good.

[Yeah, bad idea. Redacted.]

((I'm not seeing the post as having been edited, nor can I see any difference in it. So you edit may not have worked. :frowning: ))

Quercus tilts himself forward and confers in a low voice with his two sodales. This does not seem to be going very well. Maybe we should ask them what are their needs and see if we can come up with a good provision; our offers do not seem to be very appreciated as they are...

He will also frown at the music display, since he has never seen it performed mid-negotiation before, but being less knowledgeable than other people in these social matters he will not interrupt it himself.

[Sorry, edit had glitched. It's done now.]

((All it says now is this. :frowning: ))

((Perhaps it would be simpler if you reposted it again.))

[I don't understand. That's what I wanted it to say, because I couldn't find a way to delete the post entirely.]

(We were left with the idea that you would be posting an answer to the elders, not just putting a sad face. Is that the case or is Prochorus not answering? It is important since Japik and Quercus are waiting for Prochorus' answer as well :slight_smile:)

((I also took your meaning that you wanted to "redact it" as to be that you wanted to change the way Prochorus was bringing his argument forward, or the way he was performing his spellcasting.))

((Let us move forward, then. At this point, here is the latest thing that was said by the elders.))

((Let's say that Prochorus made as to take out his musical instrument, but thought better of it, with maybe Japik putting a hand on his arm to warn him against it. Meanwhile, Quercus talked to them (in Latin I assume?) in the following manner.))

The elders wait while you confer in hushed tones.

Japik just nods at Quercus suggestion and makes a gesture that he should take over the discussion with the village elders and ask them.

Seeing the gesture, Quercus looks at the elders and asks them the question.

Appreciated elders, it might be that our approach has not been as adequate as it should have been. We are not familiar with the obberland needs and customs and we might have offended you. We ask for your forgiveness. We are really interested in settling down by the tree and will try to make a minimal impact in your grazing activities around there. We are also willing to compensate you for the loss that our settlement might cause you and your community. We are resourceful, and we might be able to compensate you with services of our own. However, being new arrivals we are unsure of what your needs might be, and so we would like to ask you: what are the needs of your community? We might be able to surprise you positively in solving them.

((Maybe save 'em for now. Let's hope you're still on top from the last try.))

(Ok, no Confidence used then)

The angry elder grumbles, “...just leave us alone, that’s what we need...”

One of the men who has not spoken yet interrupts him and asks, “What if we simply refuse you the right to settle here? What will you do?”

The main spokesman frowns at this, but says nothing and looks at you to see what your answer will be.