Chapter 2: Nimbosa Myrice

when Renatus the Ibis has the opportunity to speak with his sodales he asks where all the furnitures for the labs come from, because they wouldn't fit into the cart they used. He asks whether Renatus Jerbiton has producted them using his herbam magic.

(ooc : I'll wait for Ludovicus de answer before I modify my seasons)

Yes. As soon as he has come to the conclusion that the lab is sub-standard, he lets the others know, mentioning that he can't predict the outcome of his attempt to learn the spell, but that he would persevere. "It may be risky, but otherwise time would be lost. Also, sodales, I have a question about the use of the spell, and that is to where or to what are we to transfer the vis? What should we use as a recepticle?"

During the Fall, Ludovicus begins exploring the environment near the chapter house, when he can, to try to find an area that is attuned to Rego (because of his study requirement). If it ends up taking too much of his time, he abandons the search. If he finds an area, then he will study from the Rego summa in Winter, during his down time. If he doesnt, then he will keep looking in Winter.

(ooc: with cautious sorcerer, I believe i won't be affected by the safety issue, only the warping problem remains. I'll pick a specific regimen for my spell invention when I have access to my books (either experimentation, overtime or such thing : serf parma)

"For now, we could simply use marked pebbles, one for each pawn of vis that we collect. If Fengheld decides to transfer the vis to a different receptacle, they can always do so."

Ludovicus' score in Rego is still low enough that simply studying in the presence of the mundanes of the covenant (the crafstmen building something, the servants cleaning, or the grogs drilling) should be enough to satisfy his study requirement.

So "new" seasons are as follows :
Autumn-beginning setting up lab (+2 magic theory)

Winter-learning gathering spell with experimentation.
my total is : int 3+magic theory 4 + 1 (inventing spell) + rego 5 +vim 5 +2 aura +5 experiment -2 général quality= 23 so assuming lab has no malus I can learn the spell, if it has malus i'll have to pick a bonus one way or another. (+2 low german)
(experiment roll 3; warping roll 1; roll for side effect 5 (I used dice roll we use on our other saga)

So the spell works but has a small side effect

spring-gathering vis and learning German with my grog. 8xp low german

Emelric, do you still try to learn the vis-harvesting spell in Autumn, using the lab in the cottage? If so, you'll need to take into account the Safety and Warping scores (with the appropriate dice rolls).

As soon as I have an answer to that, I'll start rolling out the results, season by season.

Yes, Ludovicus will proceed as planned.

In that case, I need dice rolls for Safety and Warping (as per Covenant p.111):

• Safety: Roll a simple die. If the result is 1 or 2, then roll 2 botch dice. On a botch, roll on the Disaster sub-chart of the Experimentation: Extraordinary Results chart (see ArM5, page 109). Add the absolute value of the Safety score to the risk modifier (max 3).
  • Warping: Roll a simple die. If the result is 1, then the product of that season’s work suffers Warping. Refer to the Experimentation: Extraordinary Results chart (see ArM5, page 109). If the outcome of the simple
    die was odd, roll once for a side effect. If the outcome was even, roll once for a modified effect.

I just re-read the section, and I believe you should still roll 1 botch die for Satefy. Covenants p.111 (in the middle of the second paragraph) states: "For this roll, you cannot have no botch dice; there is always a minimum of at least one." So I think that Cautious Sorcerer will reduce the number of botch dice to 1. The simple die before that is unaffected, so you need to roll that botch die if the simple die result in a 1 or 2.

I rolled 8 on safety roll you can proceed :wink:

Oh, sorry. I thought the SG was handling dice rolls. I rolled a 9 for the Safety roll and a 5 for the Warping roll.

Yes, that was what was stated initially, but at the moment I prefer only to handle secret rolls. I'm lazy! :wink:

Ok, Summer season is completed as follow.

Renatus of Bjornaer completes setting up a basic lab in the manor (+2 xp in Magic Theory).

Ludovicus successfully learns Gather the Magical Essence (ReVi 20) in the lab present in the cottage (+2 xp of exposure in ???). By working the whole season in the lab, he succeds in improving it slightly, raising its General Quality by 1 (from -2 to -1) by adding back some of the missing supplies and tools carried in to establish the labs in the manor.

Over the season, the younger magi notice a significant improvement in the vegetation of the island, mostly due to the efforts of your praetor. New plants have appeared in numerous places that had been trampled. Flower now grow near the manor and the garden near the cottage has a number of herbs and plants growing in it, being tended by the servants and kitchen staff. Work on the manor by the craftsmen is almost completed. They plan on departing soon, leaving only one of them behind -- a carpenter named Traugott who will perform maintenance and fulfill whatever work that need to be done (such as crafting additional furniture).

During a meeting at the end of the season, Renatus of Jerbiton reports on his season gathering the vis.

"Well, my season was one of small successes mixed with several hard lessons learned. Our grogs are having difficulties detecting the eruptions during the day -- sunlight makes seeing the flames much harder, so only the closest eruptions are visible through the mist." The older, scarred magi looks tired. "The eruptions are much easier to notice night, and on average they occured every few nights. The problem was that by the time they woke me up, prepared the boat and carried me to the source, most of them had dissipated. So I started sleeping more often during the day, so as to be awake more often when they called upon me. Still, we need to improve our communication and reaction times."

"Overall, I was able to gather seven pawns of vis. Not all of the eruptions contained enough magic for a whole pawn, and I probably missed most of the eruptions."

(Any reaction to the result of Summer and the information that Renatus of Jerbiton shares with the others?)

@Renatus Jerbiton"I'm glad that thanks to your good care, the island is slowly recovering from the massive tramping that occurred during the installation. I've seen you've added numerous new species to our garden, are they part of your studies ?"

about the gathering : " That was to be expected that we'd miss most of them in the beginning, still 7 pawns is not a bad start. It must have been exhausting to change your sleep schedule. Did you have time to note the location, and time of the eruptions ? have you noticed a pattern or anything special ? "

"I have tried to keep a log of the eruptions, but it only has a few pages at this time. Since I was unable toreach most of them in time, and the confusion brought about by the fog, it is difficult to pinpoint them. In the same way, I cannot be certain of the time at which each one started, only the time when the grogs noticed them. So the information is only approximate so far -- I'd rather make it to the eruption than check for the exact time and location. I've also noticed the flaming gas moving around, so that we've had to chase after it."

"As for the plants I have grown on the island, these are essentially local varieties. I am still cataloguing the plants of this area, something that is of personal interest."

((Ludovicus gained 2 -> 3 xp in Vim (through affinity) while learning the vis gathering spell.))

"I have some ideas for making the vis capture more efficient, but they are all beyond my ability at this time. For example, a Sight-range vis detection spell would help when fog is present, as would an Intellego Ignem or Intellego Auram spell to make the flame visible or the fog non-hindering, respectively. Easiest, for me, perhaps would be to develop my Rego Vim to the point where I am able to increase the range of the currently known spell to Sight - I am able to do so with formulaic spells you see. I could then invent a Sight-ranged version of this spell for both of you to learn. Then, if we were to build a watch tower on the manor, that would allow us a greater line of sight, we would perhaps avoid having to boat after the flames."

"It seems like a good idea, maybe a spell to see the heat of the flame could be handy too ?"

"Some good ideas there," says Renatus, "we will have to see what is workable based on our strengths. I'll inquire with Fengheld's librarian, as we might have some lab texts along those lines in the library."

(OOC: I will comment on those in the OOC Discussions topic.)

(OOC: Acknowledged.)

I still don't know where the exposure xp for Ludovicus will be going when he learned the vis-gathering spell.

Is there any adjustments to the activities performed during Winter 1207, based on what was discussed? So far I had the following:

• Renatus of Jerbiton: Complete setting up lab in the manor
  • Renatus of Bjornaer: Learn Gather the Magical Essence in the cottage's lab (2 xp of exposure in Language: Low German)
  • Ludovicus: Harvest the vis and learning the local language (8 xp in Language: Low German)

((The exposure xp go to Vim, if it's ok?))

((No adjustment to winter activities for Ludy.))