Chapter 2: Somewhere, Under the Barrow...

Oh. I gave him a butterfly ghost, cuz we've been calling the kitten a him, and the other stat'd kitten was a girl. ~shrug~ Doesn't really matter. Someone can kill the butterfly ghost easily enough.

What have the cats been doing? How did they react to the scenery change during Twilight?

Magic Lore roll was a non-botch zero for 4. Nothing comes to mind particularly. Gnomes, maybe? They're supposed to be little folk.

to a [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3342244/]staggering 2*2=4Meanwhile, the Awareness die +6 = 10.

These burrows have been lying here for centuries undisturbed, and have been reclaimed by the earth. There's little to distinguish one hill from another without removing all the grass and soil covering the structures.

[OOC: Sorry, I meant "burrow" as in the hole he found, not barrow.]

Ah. Just a bit of a difference there.

Gregorius nearly misses it, given the hour. But then the moon breaks through some clouds, and he suddenly realizes that this burrow exits the hill exactly due south.

Is that the only burrow that he can see? Or are there any others nearby?

Looking in this particular area, there seems to be a normal number of burrows for the terrain and soil type. To be certain would require several hours of careful search (burrows tend to be camoflauged), and that would be the rest of the night and part of the next morning.

Gregorius will attempt to spontaneously cast a couple of spells.

The first is his by now standard testing of the local aura, but he carefully touches just inside the south-facing rabbit hole.

He also attempts to get a view of the inside of the rabbit warren, curious to see whether it is in fact a home for the little men.

[OOC: He's not doing really loud words, but is including gestures. Testing aura should work if it's at least +2.

His other spell is a variant on Prying Eyes - InIm, Base 1 - use one sense (sight) at a distance, + 1 Touch + 3 structure + duration. He'll try for a concentration duration, but will probably only get momentary. I think this is a valid way to use structure, although it's possibly slightly pushing it.

Casting total is (In 6 + Im 0 + Sta 1 + G 1 + Aura 3? + die 3)/2 = 7 (invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3342990/), so he's only only to get a momentary glimpse.]

Aura checking spell fizzles.

The Spont'd Prying Eyes works for a moment, though. Your cat-like eyes glimpse a narrow corridor, human height, about 2/3rds the bulk of the hill, shaped a bit like an ankh. There are four tiers of side chambers, from which dozens of eyes dimly glint with reflected moonlight.

[I should probably pause here to let MTKnife catch up with the cats. I don't think there's anything further Gregorius wants to do with the warren right now, so he'll move on to examine where the northern lower class houses were.]

This is the female "kitten" (she's the only one who can shapechange). :slight_smile: By now, though, she's something like two years old (I don't remember what year and season we're in).

They're both quite curious, and prick up their ears at the odd sights, though they don't move very far from Gregorius...right up until they see the "rabbit-hole". Wow, prey! Mama Cat lowers her belly to the ground and begins creeping up on the hole, concealing herself behind grass or whatever else is available, and lets her kitten follow her.

Scott

It's mostly long grass here, though some's been moderately grazed on.

The hole is too small (Size -4) for either you or the kitten. You could dig it out, but rabbit warrens tend to have more than one exit....you'd make some noise and it'd take at least a few minutes, unless it's all that small.

They have to come out eventually, and cats are very patient.

Scott

So, the cats wait outside the hole, and Gregorius heads north?

I think so, yes.

It is well past dark by the time you find anything interesting in that section. Did you bring anything to eat?

Alcimus gets tired of walking between the hills and bounds up to the top to bay at the moon. As he does so, he notices something nearby -- several of the hills seem somewhat deformed compared to the regular uniformity of the others.

As you approach, a mysterious and tinny voice calls out in Latin!

"This is my spoo-OO-oO-oo-ky voice! It should be sca-aa-A-ar-ing away a-a-a-aA-all you illi-i-i-i-terate buffons! Go away! Tell your friends about what a spoo-OO-oO-oo-ky place this is! You can't understand what I'm saying anyway! Booooo-ooo-oooo!"

Gregorius lacks a Brave personality trait, which I find weird. He is briefly spooked (die roll 5) by the surprise before recognizing the words.

Alcimus just sniggers. (Wolf +3 + Amused by Humans 1 + die roll 6 = 10)

[I've tended to only give brave personality traits to warrior grogs - if you start having traits in both Loyal and Brave for every character, that's filled up your three traits pretty quickly.]

Gregorius is carrying (fairly plain and dull) food in his pouch, and water at his belt.

When he hears the voice, he jumps nervously, before trying to cover it with a chuckle. Then the language sinks in, and a look of surprise crosses his face. He calls out:

"Illiterate buffoon? I take exception to that, sir! Who are you? Show yourself!"

He listens carefully to any reply, trying to place where it's coming from.

Oh, in one of my earlier campaigns here, the SG had us tack those on, on top of any descriptive traits.

Gregorious shouts into the darkness, and strains his ears to hear a reply. Shortly after the echo fades, he hears the man call out again.

"This is my spoo-OO-oO-oo-ky voice! It should be sca-aa-A-ar-ing away a-a-a-aA-all you illi-i-i-i-terate buffons! Go away! Tell your friends about what a spoo-OO-oO-oo-ky place this is! You can't understand what I'm saying anyway! Booooo-ooo-oooo!"

Is Gregorius content with having the cats pounce on whatever next comes out of that hole?

Scott

Gregorius isn't brilliantly pleased at the idea. Once he realises what the cats are doing, he turns to the Cat and asks:

"Could you leave the little people alone, please? I may need to negotiate with them later, and it's likely to be a lot easier if they're not mourning the victims of your prowess."

The Cat hisses at Gregorius, but gets up to follow him; the Kitten follows her lead.

Scott

On hearing the same phrase repeated, Gregorius frowns, and starts trying to move towards where it seemed to be coming from. He'll periodically make a noise or say something, guessing that the voice is a non-intelligent thing being triggered by the sounds, to try to hone in on it.