Chapter 2: Still Caverns Run Deep

"If you're able to carry us, that seems the simplest approach. I could probably manage to climb down with a vine ladder, but that would still leave the problem of getting across the lake."

Fray will use the Unearthly Magnification of the Beasts spell (form CT+46, MuAn30) to enlarge his Crow form, from size -4 to size +6. Given +6 size is around 15,000 lbs of mass, the crow should be able to lift a +0 or -1 size creature (edit: probably dont need to be that big). Then carefully pick-up Gregorius and fly him to the island. Assuming all goes well, then go back for his wolf. I hope the wolf understands enough to be ok with this.

Which or what type of rolls, if any? Athletics is 3+roll.

[Realistically, a 15,000-lb. crow wouldn't be able to lift itself, let alone passangers, but let's be mythic....]

Sure, let's try an Athletics rolls--but the Ease Factor will be 9, because Fray has never done anything like this before. Are you sure you want to try it?

Scott

As that is a fair chance across both rolls to drop or hurt the two, I think that's not really worth the risk.

After returning to normal shape, I'll try a spont MuCo effect instead, to make myself bigger. Using base 3 from MuCo (like Preternatural growth and shrinking, but ignoring the reduction in size) to alter a human), as:

• Effect total MuCo 10. Effect base 3 which grants +3 size, +1 Diameter, +2 more mags to jump up another 6 sizes.
  • using the rule that +1 mag = 10x mass = +3 size levels.
  • assuming a size +9 human (or smaller) could lift and carry them across? If I only need to cast it as a level 5 effect I will.
  • CT is 52+roll. Mu 21, Co 11, Sta 3, Aura 7, Focus 11. So easy as a non-fat spont spell without roll.

That should be safer.

I'm confused: how are you going to get over the lake in this case?

Scott

(Gregorius will go along with any reasonable attempt. Also, don't forget Aison! Alcimus is as intelligent as Gregorius, and can understand and speak Latin.)

Ah, ok - I'll do a quick check on how deep it is. Starting from the island, how deep does it appear? Is it also deep just before the cave, or is there a ledge?

It's exceptionally clear water, but Fray can't see the bottom--it's pretty deep, and falls off steeply from both the ledge and the island. For the record, there are fish in there, too.

Scott

[ooc: much going on at home/work, sorry about the tardy replies]

"hmm, this is trickier than I would have liked. I could transform most of you, but Alcimus I'm afraid it is trickier for me to get you to the island. Perhaps the direct approach is called for."

Do these effects make sense? CrHe effect to create a set of wooden stairs down to the surface of the lake, and then a simple boat.

CrHe, Stairs or ladder

• goal; a simple yet study ladder or stairs to start from the cavern entrance, down to the water's edge
  • Base 2 to create a plank. It does not need to be treated, as it won't last long.
  • R: Touch, D: Dia +1, T:Ind
  • Size increase +2, from normal materials of a plant 1x1x1 pace (which isn't much when you think about it) up to 100 times that.
  • I don't think size +1 for only 10x the materials will be enough?
  • So final effect is CrHe 5.
  • CT is 22+roll (Cr 3 He 7, Aura 7, Int 3, W&G 2). If so I can spont that without a roll in this Aura

CrHe, Raft/Boat.

• goal: A moderate sized boat with raised sides, large enough for the group to sit within.
  • Base 2 to create a plank. It does not need to be treated, as it won't last long.
  • R: Touch, D: Sun +2, T:Ind
  • Size increase +2, from normal materials of a plant 1x1x1 pace up to 100 times.
  • So final effect is CrHe 10.
  • CT is 22+roll (Cr 3 He 7, Aura 7, Int 3, W&G 2).
  • Roll is 1d10=7, so a total of CT:13. Works
  • Wierd check is ok too: 1d10=6

... oh then some smaller oars, which are a lot smaller, so should be CrHe 4 or 5, which I can spont with no fatigue.

If the spells make sense (?), and the group go for the idea, this should get them into the water and paddling across.

Fray will stay as a bird to look for trouble as it moves across the surface of the lake.

"Treated", in this context doesn't necessarilyi mean sealed or painted or whatnot--it just means something has been done to the wood. Note that one example in the book of "treated and processed" is furniture. I think if you're going to make anything beyond a single piece of wood, you'll need the base 3 (or a target of Group, which works out the same). That would make your first spont (the staircase) still work, but result in your second spont's (the boat) failing.

Also, sponting uses Sta in ArM5, not Int like in ArM4, though that makes no difference in Fray's case, since both stats are the same.

Do you want to try it again? You're going to need to roll an 11, which is a bit much.

Scott

I think I'd drop the Duration from Sun to Diameter if we can row the boat across in a few minutes, or Conc if it needs to last longer. That drops the level by 5.

It is likely to get the boat across to the island in under a few minutes?

(There's also the complication that crafted objects created via Creo magic require a finesse roll - Int + Finesse against an ease factor of 9).

Gregorius thinks for a moment. "I could possibly use Rego Corpus magic to move myself slowly across the lake. It's a level surface, at least. I don't think I could move anyone else that way, though. I'd be wary of using concentration duration spells, in case something happened to make one lose concentration in the middle of the lake.

Shall we explore some of the other caves whilst we think?"

I think one diameter won't be long enough--it's a good quarter of a mile.

Scott

OOC: I didn't think we could get to the other caves by foot? (edit) meaning yup, if we can - lets go.

The ledge doesn't reach all of the caves, but it reaches a lot of them, and there are other ledges beyond this one. It's also not outside the realm of possibility that some of the tunnels connect to each other.

Scott

"through transforming clothes and then your forms I could move everyone except Alcimus. The creation of a raft is difficult for me, but not impossible. It will take many attempts, but if we have no choice after exploring the other caves then perhaps that is what we will do."

[OOC: Is this a viable way to get us across? A ReCo 10 effect to slowly float them across the surface. Then cancel my own effect on the other side with PeVi?

• As base 3 to move slowly over a surface that cannot support it,
  • mods: +2 D: Sun, +R: Touch +1, T:Ind +0
  • I think I can spont a ReCo10 effect to do that.
  • CT is (30+roll)/2. Re 7, Co 11 (or An 11), Stm 3, Aura 7, W&G 2
  • I think it works in the similar way to making a person slowly float upward, Rise of the Feathery Body, p134.
    ]

If so, "ah Rego magics. Yes, that will work too. Foolishness on my part to force conjuration when an even more direct approach is available. That is, if you permit me?" If not, lets walk.

Then rolls for Aison and Alcimus, assuming that Gregorius will move himself.

• Aison 1d10=6, CT = 13
  • Alcimus 1d10=10 is a botch check but still enough to work.

Well fark, is that 1x botch dice, plus my Wierd dice, +7 for the Aura?

That seems logical.

You don't roll extra botch dice in a friendly aura--Magic for most magi, Magic and Faerie for magi with Faerie Magic.

Scott

Ok, then 1 botch dice roll: 1d10=7, which is OK.
Then the 2x weird magic rolls: 1d10=6, 1d10=4, which are ok too.

We'll need to wait on Gregorius, but don't forget to roll for the PeVi spells.

Scott

To dispel the effects on the other side,

• Base is Gen for "a specific effect like hermetic Corpus or Animal magic" (Level +4 Mags) + Roll vs Spell effect level.
  • mod to R: Touch +1, D:Mom, T:Ind, which changes the effect down to level +3 mags instead.
  • So I'll aim to spont cast a Pedo Vim effect to dispel my ReCo or ReAn effects as a final Effect Level of 3, which will affect (lvl 3 +3 Mags) + roll vs ReCo effect of 10. Which is 10+roll vs 10.
  • CT 15+ vs. PeVi 3, as Perdo 0, Vim 5, Stam 3, Aura 7, so it can be sponted without roll (add +2 w&g if needed), then the rolls to exceed the level of each effect should be moot too.

I should have said too, that I'll fly across as a Bird and wait for them.