Chapter 2: Still Caverns Run Deep

Keep following the rooms, to the right each time.

I'm going to wait to get some input from from Salutor, since we haven't gotten directions for Gregorius for a little while.

Scott

Gregorius will get Alcimus to pause and listen at each of the openings to see if he can tell if the sound is coming from that direction. If it is, go in that direction; else, follow Fray's plan.

Straining to listen, Alcimus thinks he can hear something coming from the middle passage.

Scott

Let's try that way - pause every now and again to see if we can make out the sounds any more distinctly.

Alcimus is sure you're getting closer to the sound, but the two magi can't hear it yet. You pass into yet another chamber, this one with two other exits. Alcimus hears the sound coming from the left passage.

Scott

Let's go down that one. Can Alcimus still not make out any details?

All he can hear is breating, and occasionally footfalls. Judging by the tone of the breathing, whatever you're following is pretty big. He's pretty sure, in any case, that you're getting closer.

Scott

Ah - he thinks the thing is moving, then? Is he getting any scent?

Yes, he's started to pick up a scent--he's tracking him now. Alcimus finds the scent quite novel, but he's fairly sure it's the smell of a predator.

Scott

Let's keep tracking it (although try and avoid actually running into it until we're ready to). How fast does it seem to be moving?

Gregorius comments to Fray (quietly):

"It seems unlikely that what we're following lit that fire. Thoughts? I'd like to know what it is, but I'd prefer not to fight unless it's actually useful to do so."

At times, the scent is getting stronger, and at other times weaker--either it's stopping and starting or it's crossing its own path, and Alcimus can't quite tell which.

Scott

Also responding quietly, "Agreed, wise not to fight, but we need to understand what is living within the caverns and what exits it has. We cannot leave a predator at our backs within the covenant. Perhaps that is why the entryway was closed over. "

"A predator creature will unlikely attack us directly if it does not know what we are; but if other creatures use the caverns then perhaps it already has less fear, or an appetite for man. A shame we do cannot tell it's nature."

"I would like to pause to prepare for a melee if possible."

Gregorius nods.

"I certainly don't want to be in a situation where we know there's something out there, but no idea what."

He'll pause whilst Fray readies himself.

[ooc: I can't find a note to say these were cast earlier] Casting Gift of the Bear's Fort. (+46 vs MuCo/An25), and Doublet of Impen. Silk (+35 vs MuAn15),

Speaking softly, "Right then, I hope these are unneeded" and motions to continue forward, following the lead from Alcimus and Gregorius.

You continue to follow the scent, and Alcimus is pretty sure you're getting closer.

You may, however, be lost by this point, after all the twists and turns. I'm going to roll Int + stress dice against an Ease Factor of 9 for all three of you:

Fray: Int +3 + 2 = 5
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4523605/

Gregorius: Int +1 + 4 = 5
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4523605/

Alcimus: Int +1 + 2 (for having an animal's sense of direction) + 6 = 9
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4523608/

Alcimus, at least, is pretty sure he knows the way back, but he's a little disgusted that the two magi let themselves get lost.

Scott

Gregorius thinks for a moment, then tries his luck: "Would you be able to cast the Doublet on me?"

Once that's done (or not done), he'll set off behind Alcimus again, trying to track down the creature.

"Of course", and he will cast Doublet of Impen. Silk on Gregorius. "As I said to Patrick, you only have to ask. If the other effects are of benefit, please do not hesitate." And then walk with the others.

Gregorius smiles appreciatively. "Thank-you. Now, let's see if we can track down this creature."

On realising they're lost, he's at first not too concerned - he's been partially relying on Alcimus being able to trace back their trail anyway, but then realises "we'd better not get separated. Ah well - let's keep trying to track this creature down. If necessary, I might try another clay creation spell to fill in the tunnel between us and it - just so long as we spot it from a distance, which might be interesting in these tunnels. Have you get any ideas for contingency plans? We don't really know enough to develop a solid plan, but having a few back-up ideas is always useful."

Fray looks down while speaking "I do not want a confrontation, and we should flee if given the chance. I have not had to fight since arriving and I do not want to again soon. But if we have to, then we had also be decisive about it. If it can harm the covenfolk then it needs to be neutralised. Assuming it is a predator then the risk is now how sentient and vicious it is."

then looking up to Alcimus with a smile "and perhaps we should mark our path too."