Chapter 2: Still Caverns Run Deep

Gregorius will point at the easternmost room.

"That room used to be full of water, but it should have drained now that the waterfall is moving again. Do you want to check the protections on your lab, though, before we start dismantling the blockage to it?"

[OOC: From what I remember Fray took the second floor lab? I also seem to remember asking Patrick to do some Wards Against Water down here, but I'm not sure what was actually done / what's still in place.]

Yes, Fray's lab is the southern room on this level.

I think Patrick mentioned setting up wards as a step in the process of draining the caves, but it's hard to see how a Ring ward would work to keep water out of the caves entirely, since water could leak around the edges. He could have set one up to protect (most of) Fray's lab, but then that would raise the Warping problem.

Scott

I'd been thinking of round / in front of the doorway.

The problem you get into is the requirement for tracing the perimeter of the cirlce--if it's at all inside the margin of the walls, there's a leak, and if it protrudes into the walls, you can't trace it.

Scott

I'd sort of assumed exactly touching the walls would be enough there, but if it's not, then fair enough. Patrick does have the ability to cast arcane circles which can go into the walls, but they probably raise the level to be a bit too high.

I take it the upshot of all this is that there's nothing currently stopping Fray's lab from getting flooded if things go wrong?

You could build a dam, like you did below.

Scott

Yep - just checking it was going to be necessary. Gregorius will leave the exact approach to Fray, though, as it's his lab.

Can't the magi just get the quarry workers to place a small brick semi-circle wall across the entryway, at about 1 ft high? Bricking it up using mundane means makes it nice and permanent. We'd have brick and mortar enough surely?

Am I missing something where that wouldn't work?

Do you mean across the entry way to Fray's lab? If so, I don't think there's anything stopping something like that being done (although I think it would need to be blocks of stone rather than bricks, as I don't think we have the latter), but do you really want a wall across the entrance to your lab?

Given the choice of a flood vs a small low wall, I'll take the wall. It is a temporary measure anyway, until the water issue is fixed properly. (edit) Blocks are fine too.

What other rooms are on this same level?

Fray's lab is on the south side of the central chamber. There are two other doors on the north side, blocked by rubble.

Scott

[Possibly we come back the next day, once people have had time to do things?]

Once Fray's lab has been protected to his specifications, Gregorius will stand at the bottom of the steps leading up to the first level, and start casting Ominous Levitation to dismantle the barrier from the top down.

[He can cast this without fatigue - hopefully should be simple?]

Actually, the barrier on the stairs is the one that's been cleared already. The one you'll want to do next is probably the one on the second level closest to the stairs. Removing it reveals that this was probably a storeroom--with two doors, the other one being the second blocked door. The stream runs through here, and someone, for some reason, has blown a big hole along the stream course, to the waterfall.

Scott

[OOC: yes - that was what I meant, sorry if it wasn't clear. He was standing on the stairs so he could retreat up them in case these was water after all.]

Gregorius will inspect what remains of the stores in here - presumably they're mostly ruined by water?

He'll also do the non-fatiguing sponts to check for raw/spun vis again.

Where does the stream come from?

Ah, those stairs. Sorry.

Yep.

Nope.

Somewhere to the north. You'd have to crawl up it to find out, and it could run for miles to the spring or drainage point where it originates.

Scott

Gregorius looks at the stream's entrance decidedly unenthusiasticly.

"I should probably check there aren't any surprises up there at some point. And we'll want to install a grille. I think it can wait until we've finished exploring the rest of the cave system, though."

He'll set the quarryers to clearing all but the last foot or so of the one remaining blockage.

You mean the other blockage on this level?

Scott

No, sorry (although that'll need doing as well - my understanding is that it won't tell us anything new, though, as it's just another entrance to the store-room). I meant the one on the bottom level of the cave complex.

You'll have to do something about the water first--that passage is completely filled.

Scott

We already did - we moved it back, and then put in a moon duration block to stop it returning. (https://forum.atlas-games.com/t/campaigns-active/203/1)