Chapter 2-The Lost Summa

((About to move forward on the search for the dog. My thought is that would fail to find it after an evening's visit to the various taverns they visit in Limburg -- there might be a little scene there, with the grogs getting into a fight or something -- because the tavern is at some out-of-the-way place in town. So they would need to find another way to locate the dog.))

((So Petronius has an idea, which is to use Rego Animal spontaneous magic to plant a suggestion (Base 2) into the hound's mind, like go outside and bark for a while. At Arcane range, that's level 10. But there are a few flaws to this plan.

((First is that if the Dominion aura is too strong, Petronius won't be able to get the spell off. With a casting total of 18 + die roll + aura, a Dominion aura of 1 is manageable and an aura of 2 is borderline and will probably require multiple castings. Anything stronger mkes it impossible.))

((Second diffuculty is that since he is a Mercurian, he must use Ceremonial Sasting. So that would be 30 minutes for each attempt, and it is certainly obvious that he is performing magic. So he needs a quiet place, where he can be unobserved and undsturbed.))

((Finally, even if he is able to cast the spell, it will last only a moment. Does planting a "suggestion" to do something fairly natural goes on for a while? Because if the dog is inside a building, we may not be able to hear it bark. And if the suggestion doesn't last long, the owner of the building may not let the dog go outside long enough for it to keep barking once it's outside.))

((Comments on this plan? If people simply see this plan not working, I'll come up with some other way for the party to find the dog. I just figured that this could be a way to play it.))

The plan might have a better chance of success, if Petronius goes just outside Limburg, where the Dominion aura should be less, but leaves the grogs stationed around town (and just to the west). Instead of a barking suggestion, make it for howling, and give the grogs an approximate time (just after noon?) when they should listen for the howl. It might not pinpoint the exact location, but at least you might get the general vicinity. You might even cast it a second time to help the grogs get closer.

It is early afternoon by the time Ortolf leads Petronius and Katherine into a small grove just outside of Limburg. After spending a few minutes inspecting the place, Petronius nods, "This will do just fine. My first spell should go off just a little while after you get back to the others, so start spreading out in town and listen for a dog howling. Try to get closer to where you hear him. After the same delay, the dog should howl another time; then a third time after that. If you locate him before the third time, come back to get us."

Ortolf grunts his agreement and leaves, while Petronius begins clearing out a small patch of ground and begins drawing a casting circle. Taking out a few candles, he places them evenly around the circle, sits in the middle, and starts meditating. Katherine takes position some distance off and keeps watch for any interloper.

With the previous day's and evening's search failing to locate Sigmund's hound, the young Bonisagus had come upon another plan to locate it. Using the strands of fur that Horst had brought along, he called upon magic to make the dog howl for a few moments. Rheinhart, Ortolf and Horst were positioned throughout the town, listening to the telltale howling and would home in on it.

The downside to this plan was that, because of his Mercurian legacy, Petronius could not do this quickly. Spontaneous magic was time-consuming for him, so he needed an isolated place to cast his spells. Someplace where he would not be seen by mundanes. So Ortolf had been sent out to scout for such a place -- small the grove where Petronius now sat.

((I'm assuming that the Divine aura is only 1 in the grove. First spell results in a casting total of 18 - 3 (aura) + 5 (die roll) = 20, just enough for success. Second and third attempts result in die rolls of 5 and 2, so the last attempts fails. He tries it a fourth time for a die roll of 5, another success.))

((Perception + Awareness rolls for Rheinhart (Per -1, Awareness 3), Ortolf (Per +2, Awareness 3) and Horst (Per and Awareness unknown). First attempt is 8, 4 and 0 (no botch), for totals of 10, 9 and 0ish.))

Both Rheinhart and Ortfolf hear a faint howling, and are able to get a vague heading, while Horst hears nothing. The two grogs walk for some distance towards the far-away sound and wait for the second attempt.

((Second attempt is 5, 4 and 2, for totals of 7, 9 and 2ish.))

Again they hear a dog howling far away and get a little closer and wait for the last time. And wait. And wait.

((Third attempt's die rolls are 3, 7 and 2, for totals of 5, 12 and 2ish.))

Finally, much later than expected, come some more howling. Ortolf is able to locate a dog tied up behind a tavern on the outskirts of town, to the west. Later that day, the reunited group enters the tavern.

The sun is close to the horizon when the four shapes reach the tavern. Only the crude and faded drawing of a tankard crudely drawn on the wall beside the door identified the tavern as such, for it looked like much the houses on either side. The windows were open to let some of the hot breeze in. Heinrich looked up from his seat at a long but narrow table beside a closed door at the end of the large common room as the strangers came in. Behind him were shelves with earthenware goblets and heavier pewter tankards, below which stood two large jars of fired clay. Four trestle-table were set out throughout the room, with benches and stools scattered around them. At this early hour, only a few early drinkers were speaking in low tones, at the table near an open window.

The strangers were an unusual bunch. At first sight, two of them were fighting folks. By the look of the dust- and sweat-streaked heavy tunics, the kind of which were often worn under armor -- probably some kind of mercenaries or guards. That was not really unusual for this place, as it catered to craftsmen, dock workers and merchants, along with their guards. What was unusual were the pair that accompanied them, for they were better-dressed and had that groomed look Heinrich usually associated with richer merchants, or clergy. But they looked like neither. One was a rotund man, with a few-day's beard, who seemed comfortable with the modest surroundings of the tavern. As if he had visited many such places in his life, something that merchants and clergy never admitted to -- they usually showed contempt for an working man's place of relaxation. The other one was even more puzzling, for he looked very much out of place here. Of middle height and... bony was the description that came to Heinrich... he looked at everything with curious eyes in an animated and clean-shaven face... and he had a cat clinging on his left shoulder. Both men's clothing showed signs of travel, but were of good dyed fabric instead of the coarse linen and woold of his usual customers.

Heinrich's musings were interupted by a puppy-high yelp from under his serving table, and the dark-furred hound he called Dunkelhund erupted from his usual resting place to bound towards the plump man. "Hey there, good boy!" said the man as he kneeled and petted the happy hound. He scratched the dog's neck and ears, before rising to approach Heinrich's table with his friends. "Good day, fella," the man's speech had a slight southern accent, "a round of ale for my companions and I, if you please."

Heinritch took four mugs from the shelves and dipped each of them into one of the jars to fill them, handing them to the man who passed them to each of the other men in turn, pointing them towards one of the free tables. One of the fighting men was actually a woman, Heinritch noticed with surprise.

His hound had followed the fellow to the serving table, and was running excitedly between the man's companions, trying to recapture his attention. As the others made their way to the table, Dunkelhund remained with the plump man. "There you go, that'll be one pfennig," Heinrich said as the last mug hit the table. The man untied his purse to pay, smiling and shaking his head at the dog's antics and looking around the room . "Where's Sigmund, in the back passing water? The man never could old his ale. At least it's nice to see that good old Bucca here remembers me!"

"You know this dog and his owner, sir?" Heinrich looks warily at the group, not sure he likes the look of the bony man, and tucks the coins into a pouch under his shirt. "He's not been so joyful to see a customer before."

"If this good boy here is Bucca, as it seems it is, then I do know his owner indeed." Again looking around the room, "Is Sigmund trying to play a prank on me? Surely you must know him. Tall fellow, blonde haired, usually wears a red cap like mine," Horst gives some additional details about Sigmund's appearance. "We work in the same line of business, although it's been a while since I've seen him around."

((Horst is trying to play it innocent and earnest. But a die roll was less than great at 3, so depending on the difficulty and what his Abilities would be like, I'm not sure it will work. If it doesn't, he plans on getting serious and admit that he's specifically looking for Sigmund because he's been missing.))

Heinrich opens his mouth to say something, but quickly closes it again as the cat adjusts its perch on the bony man's shoulder. "I can't say as I've seen a hat like yours, sir. Excuse me." The tavern keeper goes to check on his other customers, frequently glancing at the dog that is obviously enamored with the plump man. Approaching the table once more, Heinrich avoids looking at the bony man; his glance falls across the ugly man-at-arms, and he quickly looks back to the plump man.

"Umm. Dun -- The dog seems quite taken with you sir, and I've found him to be a good judge of a man's character." Heinrich wipes his hands on his apron and shifts his feet nervously. "You claim his name is Bucca?" The dog looks up at the tavern keeper at the sound of his name, his tongue lolling out of what appears to be a canine smile.

On a more serious tone, as if it was sinking in that this was not a joke from Sigmund, Horst answers. "If it ain't Bucca, I'll eat my cap, man." Looking the ale-man directly in the eyes, he moves to a more direct way of obtaining information. "Now, spill it. How did you come to be taking care of Bucca and where is Sigmund, the dog's master as well as my friend."

“Please, sir, I don’t need no trouble. And Dunk- I mean Bucca, he’s like part of the family now; I don’t know what would have happened to Trude without him. And your friend, he came in a bad way; we did our best, but we didn’t even know his name and he was raving …” The words tumbled from Heinrich then trailed off as he noticed the stares from Petronius and Ortolf. He gulped audibly, his eyes bulging with fear, and dropped onto the stool next to Horst. Focusing only on the plump man’s face, Heinrich took a deep breath.

“I’d better start at the beginning. Several months ago, I think it was about the time my youngest came home with the toads. We thought he had carried a bucket full into the house, but it were probably a clutch of them laid in a damp spot near the wall. We kept finding the critters all over the inn, and all Kristof would do was giggle and hop around, him being only eight, and we thought he kept bringin’ ‘em in, but it had to be a clutch, right? Anyway, these two masons, a father and a son come knockin’ on the door one morning with this friend of yours, Sigmund, collapsed between them. He’d suffered a grievous head wound you see. We set up a bed for him, and called the healer, Dietlinde. She came by every day, but he didn’t get better.” Heinrich takes a deep breath, and looks squarely at Horst. “I’m sorry, sir, but we buried him at the church.”

Despite the previous assumption that Sigmund was dead, actual confirmation of this fact still hits Horst hard. He exhales loudly loudly and hangs his head for a moment in sadness, before raising his gaze again to meet Heinrich's eyes. "I'm not looking to cause trouble for you. I knew my friend had not been seen for some time, so when I saw Bucca..." He shakes his head before continuing, "And I did not think you had anything to do with whatever befell Sigmund. Not with Bucca standing next to you -- he'd have been at your throat had you hurt Sigmund in any way."

After a pause that drags on for long moments, Horst adds, "All that is left to me is to find out what happened to Sigmund. He was more than a simple friend, he was family -- a distant cousin, but family regardless. So anything you can tell me to help find out what happened to him, I'd be grateful." As an aftertought, the pudgy redcap adds, "And what happened to his personal belongings as well. I'm sure his wife would like to have a few things to remember him by."

"So, you mentioned two masons, a father and a son? Where could I find them, they may know a bit more. And this healer, Dietlinde? I would repay her kindness in trying to save him. And which church we he buried at?"

(( Did you want to use Saint Lubentius Basilica, or the smaller church? Either one is fine with me. I am not completely clear about the geography of the location, but will happily place the Empty Tankard near either one.))

Heinrich looks mournfully at Horst. "I am truly sorry for Sigmund's loss, sir. If we had known how to contact his kin, we certainly would have done. The mason and his son brought along a pony and pack, along with some silver. The pony is in the stables in the back; the rest we took to the church with the poor man. I don't know how he came to be injured. Dietlinde might have an idea; she lives down the road, next to the linden that looks split in two. The mason and his son might know also, having found him in that state." Heinrich pauses and scratches his chin. "What were their names, now?" He looks thoughtful for a moment, then sighs. "Trude would know. She and the son were making eyes at each other before they left again. Probably for the best. I wouldn't want a wandering life for the girl, always moving on to the next place where someone thought to put up a building or two. Not that he weren't a nice enough lad, mind. I just don't know what I'd do without her here. She's just round the back. Give me a minute sir, and I'll bring her in." Heinrich heaves himself off the stool, and hurries toward the door. One of the other patrons raises a mug, but Heinrich misses his call. "Empty Tankard, for certain," the man mutters, looking sorrowfully into the dregs.

((Might be better to use the smaller church for this one. We can keep St. Lubentius Basilica for a future story. This story should be kept relatively short, as it's simply to satisfy the story need of a higher-cost summa.))

Horst ponders this information while Heinrich goes looking for his daughter (I assume). Then he rises and goes to confer quickly with Petronius, while keeping an eye towards the door the tavern-keeper took, to relate what he's just learned and what their leads are. Hopefully they will be able to track the stonemason and his son, which may help them learn the circumstances of them finding Sigmund. Additional information may come from the healer, Dietlinde, about what befel Sigmund. And finally that the church probably has the rest of Singmund's belonging, presumably including the book.

As soon as Heinrich comes back, Horst moves back to him to learn what his daughter may be able to tell him about the masons.

Petronius takes this information in and tries to think of the implications. But keeps a low profile, well aware that his Gift interferes with his dealings with mundanes. He will try to formulate a plan of action to pursue the investigation.

((OOC: If you'd prefer to shorten the scene and move on, let me know. Basically, Horst will try to get the location of the masons, the healer and the church where Singmund was buried (including the name of the priest who took charge of this). He'll offer to pay for the expenses of the pony for the past few months and depart with it, or to leave the pony to Heinrich if he has some use for it. As for Bucca, he seems happy there and he is inclined to leave it at his new home -- he will tell Heinrich this. Horst will also give the tavern-keeper a little silver for his trouble, and promise some more at a later time, once he's been able to piece together more of the tale of Singmund's fate.))

((How quick would you like to make this? I had four scenes coming, each with a little more information:
At the church: could be quick and mostly narrated. Horst will have to make a decision about how to proceed, as the priest there has Sigmund's bag with several undelivered letters, but no book.
Interviewing Deitlinde: we could skip this one; she tells about Sigmund's raving about all sort of nonsense, including that the mason traded "the book for a pony."
Traveling to Mainz and interviewing the mason and his son: could be quick and narrated. Here is the most complete tale of what happened, and what may have happened to the book.
Interviewing the merchant who traded the mason a pony and silver for Sigmund's horse. This is probably one scene we should play out, if you want to just narrate the others.))

((I don't have a problem with playing each of the scenes. I was asking the question because you've had long periods when you were less available to post, so I didn't want to hog your time. :slight_smile: I get the feeling that the current scene will be pretty much over once Heinrich's daughter tells us where we can find the masons.

Our next stop will be the church. We can skip Dietlinde; she was only interesting to us because she may know more about Sigmund's injuries and what might be their cause -- there was also an outside chance that she could have stolen the book. We can always mention that information later in passing.

So let's close this scene and move on to the church.))

A young girl of about 15 years waltzes into the common room, followed closely by Heinrich, who whispers something urgent to her. She rolls her eyes at him, straightens her skirts and strides confidently to the table with the company. Upon glimpsing first Petronius and then Ortolf, her confidence falters a bit, and she looks back at her father. Heinrich urges her on, and she tells Horst that the mason, Erhard, and his son, Traugott, had been looking for work at Saint Lubentius, but when no work was found there, they were going to move on to Mainz. Although she does not say so directly, she seems genuinely sad that Traugott could not stay longer. Heinrich gives Horst directions to Saint Stephan's church just up the road where Sigmund was buried. Father Englebert will have Sigmund satchel and belongings.

Horst listens attentively to Trude, occasionally asking questions to clarify the information she provides. Once she is done, he thanks her and adds, "Have no worry, for we are not looking to cause trouble for Erhard and Traugott. We only want to find out what happened to our dead friend, so that we can explain his fate to his family."

Turning back to Heinrich, in the lull that comes now that he has served his customers, the redcap says, "It is clear to me that you took good care of Bucca and that he will be happy to remain here with your family." He pats the dog’s head, scratching the back of his ears. "What about the pony. Do you have uses for him? If you would rather keep him, I think we can arrange something. Otherwise, I am ready to pay for the expenses you incurred for its safekeeping."

After that point is settled, Horst hesitates a little before continuing. "I would ask one further favour of you. Would you send Trude with us to see Father Englebert tomorrow? That way, she could introduce us to the good father and confirm our acquaintance of Sigmund. I’m afraid that without Bucca’s reaction to vouch for us, he might be more reluctant to believe us."

((Getting Trude to introduce us to Father Englebert would give Horst an opportunity to speak with her privately, to offer her an opportunity to send a message to Traugott. It would also help establish our credentials with the priest, as mentioned, but there are ways to get around that.))

Heinrich thanks Horst for the allowing Bucca to stay, grateful for the gift; "Bucca's a right boon for Dietrich, that's for sure." He is happy to let Horst take the pony; "Pony's need work, and we ain't got enough for him and the first one." With a meaningful look at Petronius and Ortolf, Heinrich reluctantly agrees to let Trude accompany Horst; "She can take you to St. Stephan's midmorning, after the regular chores are done. See that she comes back before lunch, though."

The next morning, after a breakfast of bread, early apples, and small beer, Trude greets the party, with a small boy clutching her hand. "Ma says I have to bring Dietrich along." She rolls her eyes dramatically, and explains, "He wouldn't go to sleep last night, until Da let Bucca in to sleep in his bed." She wrinkles her nose thinking about the smell. "And he's been an absolute terror in the kitchen this morning. Anyway, let's go. St. Stephan's isn't far." The small boy, about six, with straight blonde hair and disconcerting blue eyes, looks intently at Petronius. Trude whispers, "Don't stare!" And she leads the way toward the church.

"I shall have one of my companions pick up the pony before we leave town," Horst nods towards Rheinhart. "Thank you again for all that you did for Sigmund."

A bit later, Horst updates the rest of the group on what he learned from Heinrich and Trude. He and Petronius then plans their next moves -- namely the visit to Father Englebert and to the healer. They agree to let Horst handle them, unless the healer herself prove to be gifted or in some way knowledgeable of the supernatural. Taking a back seat to the investigation does not satisfy Petronius, but he understands his limitations when interacting with mundanes.

The next morning, Petronius and Horst wait for Trude, leaving the grogs to recover the pony and prepare for the next part of their journey, to Mainz. Bringing them along to visit the priest would send the wrong message.

"Lead on, then," says Horst after listening to Trude's explanations.

Petronius feels a bit uncomfortable at having the buy look at him. He's never been much good with children, but he decides to give it a try. Before they leave, he crouches down to bring his eyes to the same level as the boy's and smiles, "Hi, my name is Petr... I mean, Peter." It has been long since he's used that name.

((Petronius knows he is taking a chance here. It is quite probable that his Gift will scare the boy, but on the other hand sometimes children react differently than adults would.))

Dietrich cocks his head to one side, as if trying to get a better view of Petronius' face. He suddenly pushes his finger against the magus' forehead, and solemnly announces, "I'm Dietrich." His eyes grow wide in a joyful grin and he releases a deep, throaty, "Ribbit!" mimicking a bullfrog's call before skipping on ahead.

Trude lets out a practiced sigh and rolls her eyes again. "Father Engelbert says he hopes the angels watch over Dietrich. Ma almost cracked his head for saying it, but didn't because you can go to hell for hitting a priest." She walks silently for a few paces. "Of course, it's mostly me looking after him, not angels. And now Bucca, too." She gets very quiet, then adds, "I wondered when Bucca first came to us if he wasn't an angel in disguise."

At this point, she catches up with Dietrich, who was happily drawing spirals in the dirt. "Saint Stephans' is just up ahead." A small white steeple can be seen among the trees over the next rise.

Petronius smiles at the boy's antics and gets up again, a bit surprised (and relieved) that his Gift has not frightened him. Meanwhile, Rufus jumps down from his perch on a nearby barell to bounce after Dietrich playfully.

The magus turns to Trude and says quietly, "Who can say how God decides to watch over a child? Perhaps, in a way, it was his hand that brought Bucca to your doorstep as a companion to your brother."

Horst, who had tensed up a little when Petronius talked to the child, is also relieved. Taking the opportunity to talk to Trude alone, while Dietrich is up ahead, he says, "You know, we will probably go to Mainz next. Would you like us to bring a message to Traugott when we get there?"