Chapter 2c: The Sunken Sailor

Then he changes to dolphin form and sponts a level 5 Enravelling the Fabric of Imaginem to drop the invisibility. Finally going back to human form and climbs back into the ship.

"That was a nice swim and well done with the cargo lads. Let's head back home now and get some well-deserved rest." he says to the crew as he lays down on some blankets in the fore-end of the ship. Then staying silent for some time processing the images of the savaged sailor and the creature from yesterday in his mind.

One of the crewmen, young Stanislawj, passes you some dried fish, cheese and watered ale to have lunch upon. Meanwhile, the crew prepares the boat for departure -- securing the retrieved cargo, raising anchor and unfurling sail.

The afternoon is windy and the temperature drops a notrthern cloud formation moves towards your position. Trond warns that there may be a small spell of rain and bad weather about to hit the Baltrum as it makes its way towards Helgelund. Nothing major, he thinkns, but the sailing may get shoppy.

It is only then that Japik realizes that he never visited the captain's cabin in the drowned ship.

Japik thanks Stanislawj for the food and ale and eats it eagerly.

He curses himself when he realizes that he forgot to check the captain's cabin and is about to rise to go and tell Trond that they have to go back, but then the memories of the mutilated ribcage on the dead sailor holds him back.

Ah we can come back later, he thinks to himself but still swearing over the circumstances that led to this.

The Baltrum is indeed hit by some heavy rain on its way back, but otherwise the voyage proves to be uneventful. The next day, the ship and its crew is back in Meden's port. After unloading the rescued cargo and bringing it to the warehouse, it is time to investigate the content of the crates.

Some proves to be disappointing -- spices which were not properly packed to be submerged into salt water, for example. Another part is composed of items that they may be able to sell, Trond tells him -- scents and perfumes from the East packed into small bottles, for example. Trond isn't sure exactly how much he'll get out of these, as that's not his specialty, but he'll inquire. (This will eventually translate into about 5 pounds of silver.)

A few of the crates are of more interest to Japik. These contain glassware. Although some has broken inside, either during the sinking of the ship or the recovery, there is still enough in there to supplement some of the items for an Hermetic laboratory. In fact, some of the equipment looks suspiciously specialized for such purpose.

"Good, good, Trond, you take care of those things, spices and perfumes. But don't touch any of these crates with glassware. I need to find Prochorus and it might be we will go back to the sunken ship and try to haul up the bigger crates as well", Japik tells the captain as he heads out of the warehouse to search for the Ex Miscellanea magus.

He starts looking at the inn and asks any of the staff, or even better Dietlinde or Yulia if he finds any of them where Prochorus might be.

You arrive at the inn to find Dietlinde trying to calm down a crying girl that you've never met. When you ask, she tells you that Prochorus is in the kitchen.

(That's a potential link between the two stories. I'll let you know at which point of the other thread you can intervene. It should be soon. When it is time to discuss the downed ship, you and Wits can come back here to hold that discussion.)

"Thanks" Japik says and gives the crying girl a long and puzzled look as he moves towards the kitchen.

(Waiting for you to say when I can enter the other thread then.)

Prochorus addresses Japik after the ghost incident.

"You mentioned something about a ship. What was it again? "

"There is a sunken ship about two days from here. It has some interesting cargo. We managed to bring up some of it, exotic perfumes and stuff that Trond thinks he can sell for a decent sum but that's not the most interesting. In some of the crates there are glassware. You know of the kind only we would know how to use."
Japik tells Prochorus eagerly and urges him to join him to the warehouse to look at the glassware.

"There is more down there but we need to go there together or come up with some plan to be able to haul the bigger crates."

Prochorus turns a beaker in his hand.

Well well. Someone is going to miss these. All the more reason to get there first, right?

"Yes we should set out as soon as possible. I have already asked the crew to get ready tomorrow. You ready then?"

"Like bread before the drowning."

Japik looks puzzled at the Ex Miscellanea and then he laughs. "I never get those Pomeranian jokes but they must be hilarious. Alright tomorrow morning then."
He turns and looks for Trond or any of the other crewmembers in the warehouse. "We're sailing again tomorrow morning. Prochie here is joining us. This time we will try to go for the big stuff so make sure we have the equipment, ropes, nets and stuff. Oh and bring some spears as well."

(OOC: Do we have a plan how to bring up the big crates. None of Japik or Prochorus are particularly good at Aquam or Terram magic that may be helpful here. I noticed Prochorus isn't very good at swimming either which may be a problem. To Japik there are hardly any problems but I can see some. :smiley: )

(Tough one ;D Prochorus can transform into a scaup or bear and dive a bit better, but then his magic is hampered. He's decent at rego and can probably spont some gill thing, and I think we decided that singing under water is possible, so he can cast. Dunno yet.)

(Edit: just realized I have not statted the scaup yet. Ill do it in a few days.)

(Hmm, if we can get gills on Prochorus in bear form he might be able to lift some of the bigger crates due to the strength.)

(Note that Prochorus cannot cast spells if he can't sing, so casting while in bear form is out. And Japik would need to increase the range to Touch, raising the level of the spell to 10. Nor will a MuCo spell cast in human form carry over to bear form, even if it has an Animal requisite.)

(Also Prochorus bear is size +2 so he will have difficulties getting inside the ship unless we make the hole bigger first. Speaking of which. From what Japik could see when he was there is the hole big enough to bring out the larger crates?)

(Japik could spont a level 10 MuAn spell but he needs a good die roll, 4 or better if he uses loud voice and exaggerated gestures.)

(I think I have done Prochorus' bear stats incorrectly - I haven't modified them from the base bear. Since Proc has small frame, his bear is only +1 size. I'll recalculate the stats in a few days.)

(See HoH:MC p.23. Human Size has no impact on the animal Size.)