Chapter 2d - Spring 1228 - A Visitor From Afar

"It's something I've wondered about - the link to water and the presence of the temple to the sea god seems unlikely to be entirely co-incidential, although Poseidon is fairly definitely fae, I believe, and the aura is magical. There might have been a magical Poseidon a fae imitated, I suppose, or it's possible that the causal effect is the other way round - the temple to the sea god was built here because of some magicial linkage to water that already existed."

"We'll probably build a sanctum or two up on the surface here, for those that don't want to be down in the caves. I also want to get a barracks up for the grogs, which should give us some more space in the main building."

"The aura on the surface is strongest around water provided by the pipe network. In other areas on the surface, it's only of the third order, or the fourth in spring. The aura in the caves is of the fifth level."

[MTKnife - in the caves, is it fifth level all year round, and everywhere? I had it in my mind that it was never weaker than the surface, but that gets to sixth level in spring.]

"Rego Terram magic runs into the problem of raw materials - the ruins have been scavenged of most of their good stone already, so we'd need to magically hasten the quarrying as well. Probably seasoned wood, as well, for the beaming, if you're constructing a mundance building - I did hurry the seasoning of one batch of wood at the beginning of the covenant, but it took a number of attempts before I could get the process right, and caused a couple of false starts. Nothing that can't be overcome, but it requires additional spells and time.

[OOC: Gregorius wouldn't know this, but I'm not sure you could pull off reliably craft-magicing a house? Assuming it's an average difficulty task which takes a season, that's an ease factor of 18.]

"Creo Terram again is a resources problem, although we'll probably have enough for one tower by the end of the year - or we might be able to trade for it. If you're able to cast the spell, though, I might put doing just that to the Council - it never seemed quite worth it when we were missing both the necessary ingredients, but if we have a caster..."

[MTKnife: On the Argo positioning, is there a decent flat space to put the boat within the covenant square, or are there the foundations of too many ancient ruined buildings in the way?]

It only increases on the surface. Yes, there's a reason for that, but of course it's not a reason I can tell you.

The central square has always been a square--there are no ruins within it. I don't recall the exact dimensions of the ship, but Trogdor knows them, and he can look at the map and answer the question.

Scott

[OOC: to be clear, when I say "square", I'm meaning the entire area within the wood ring, rather than just the central courtyard round the fountain.]

It's not actually a smoothly graded area, though it shouldn't be hard to pick out one of the ancient streets, and that should be relatively flat.

To be brutally realistic, however, there's not a good way to put down a boat on dry land: structurally, even a "flat-bottomed" ship is not designed to be supported by a flat surface, and you need a rack of some sort (which is what you do with a ship in a drydock or museum), unless you want to careen it (turn it on its side, normally something done on a beach to caulk it or clean off barnacles), but even that would probably result in structual damage if done over the long term. I'm not sure if Trogdor has thought through how he manages to land this thing, or if it requires magic.

Scott

On the question of the Argo, Gregorius says:

"Let me have you talk to our autocrat. He can suggest where it will be most convenient to place it."

He heads back out of the cave system with you and to the main house, where he introduces you to "Phocus", a tall thin man with dark wavy hair, a trimmed beard and a moutache.

"Phocus, Stephen will shortly be flying a boat to the covenant. Please liaise with him on the best place to put it, and arrange any assistance he requires to have it unloaded. There will be several additional men on the boat beyond those who have already arrived; however, Stephen has offered that they can be housed on the boat if necessary."

Respectfully, I disagree with that statement. It is my understanding that many flat-bottomed boats, especially small or moderately-sized ones are perfectly capable of being pulled onto land and can support themselves. In fact, one purpose of a flat bottomed boat is so that it can be pulled up onto shore where it can rest until it needs to launch again. The flat bottom makes it less seaworthy in rough seas, but allows it to float in shallow water and be easily pulled up onto dry land. In such a case, the boat is perfectly stable and can support itself. Consider the flat-bottomed landing craft from WWII, and any other flat-bottomed boat used to come ashore.

You're quite correct that boats without a flat bottom can't support themselves. But that's because their rounded or V-shaped hulls are specifically designed to support the ship only in the water. But flat-bottomed boats are another thing entirely. They're used in shallow water because they don't have much of a draft. But they're also useful in that if they do run aground (because of accident, lowering later, or whatever) they aren't harmed by waiting there until the water rises again. Their flat bottom spreads out the weight so that no one point has too much weight on it.

Granted, in most cases a flat-bottomed boat will be drydocked for repair or storage (with a flat-bottomed carrier). But I suspect that's more for reasons of avoiding rot on the hull than any reason of support. But plenty of flat-bottomed boats are designed either to intentionally run aground or to be prepared to accidentally run aground. And they are structurally stable enough to handle that. Stephen clearly went for that sort of design. True, he wouldn't want to leave it aground for a really long time. In that case, he'd want to give it some support to keep it off the damp ground. But it wouldn't be for stability. He should be able to land the boat on land for days or weeks at a time without causing any undue damage.

In any case, that's my take on the subject.

[hr][/hr]
I found the following comment in one source talking about flat-bottomed boats:

I also found the following images of flat-bottomed boats aground. In a number of these cases they came from new reports about them running aground and waiting for high tide to float them away, without any further trouble.

As they talk about sanctums Stephen expresses the obvious opinion. "I'd prefer to have my lab in a fifth level aura, of course, if that were possible. If that means underground, I have no trouble with that at all."

"As for buildings above," he adds. "I understand that the Rego Terram process may not be perfect. But it ought to be possible to hurry things along with magic. Terram spells could help with both the quarrying and moving of the stone. And you say that you have tried hastening the seasoning of wood. I understand magical construction is a difficult process. But I think if we can break it up into smaller pieces, it could be workable.[sup]1[/sup] Instead of trying for a building all on one go, maybe it's best to try for a wall or a roof. It'll take longer, but it should be within my capabilities."

"If we go Creo Terram, I understand that there's the issue of vis, which is not an unimportant issue. I have enough Terram vis with me to summon a tower, so that's a possibility. Though as a visitor here, I'm understandably hesitant to spend that much vis for a benefit that will remain with another covenant - though who can say what will happen in three years." Stephen smiles and shrugs. "I can't cast the spell myself yet, though it's one that I've wanted to learn. I could certainly manage to do so in a couple of seasons, and wouldn't mind doing so."[sup]2[/sup]

[hr][/hr]
[sup]1[/sup] You're right that Stephen doesn't have the skill to construct a house in one spell. He only has a Per + Finesse of +6, counting his speciality in precision. That means he can get a +9 fairly regularly, and a +12 about half of the time. So for a slight delay in time, he can do an average-quality day's work in two spells. Hard is just at the edge of his ability, and will require multiple attempts to get it right. I figure if he's trying to repair a part of a building and doesn't get it right, then it comes out as a part that needs repair again and he tries one more time. It might use some additional materials, but it should still be quicker.

[sup]2[/sup] Stepehen could invent Conjuring the Mystic Tower in two seasons. I also note that there's a copy in the covenant library that he could learn in one season. The real question is about labs and whether the spell, as written, will allow either the excavation of a basement or connection to an existing cavern. If the best labs are underground, then Stephen will want an underground lab. That may require creating a variant spell that allows the excavation of an underground level. However, if CtMT allows an underground level, or if the tower could be placed to give a level 5 aura for an above-ground lab, then Stephen could learn it from the covenant library and cast it in a single season.

Stephen consults with Phocus and after a short conversation in Greek decide upon a stretch of one of the old streets that should be suitable, at least in the short term. After this, Stephen gets his three grogs out of the main building and has them help prepare the ground for the Argo's arrival by clearing the street of any rubble. Nor does he shirk his part in the preparation, though he doesn't get his hands dirty. Instead, he uses his magic to remove rocks and other detritus from the street.[sup]1[/sup]

A short time later, he and the three grogs leave the covenant to head back to the Argo. Anyone from the covenant who wishes to come along is welcomed.[sup]2[/sup] They walk about a quarter of a mile down a game path until they reach a distinctive tree that's been struck by lightning, at which point they turn off the path for a hundred paces or so until they reach a small clearing in the woodlands around them. To those who look carefully, the grass in the center of the clearing seems to be pressed down to the ground.

Stephen waves his hand in a mystic gesture and appearing before the group is a long riverboat[sup]3[/sup], perhaps 45 feet long, with a beam of about 10 feet. It has a single mast and a low structure running about half the length of the boat. Loaded on the foredeck are a large number of boxes, lashed down to the deck by lines. "Behold, the Argo," he says if anyone from the covenant has joined them. On board the boat are three armed men in lighter armor than the soldier grogs, but who look like they know which end of a sword to use. They relax when they see Stephen and the grogs, and go about making sure things are tied down.

Stephen leads everyone onboard via a small set of steps that he levitates back onto the ship when they're done. Then he moves to the front of the boat and places one hand on the prow while keeping the other firmly holding his talisman. He begins speaking the words to a powerful spell, gesturing with the staff and occasionally with the hand that holds the prow.[sup]4[/sup] A few moments later, the Argo shakes as it rises up from the ground and above the trees.

As Stephen stands there at the prow, the Argo turns until it faces the covenant, and then starts moving forward, getting to a walking pace, then to the speed of a trotting horse. As they get close to the covenant, Stephen's brow furrows, and they get a little closer than he'd intended before they slow down to a walking pace again, but nothing dangerous or showy. Then he slowly moves the boat to hover over where they had cleared out a space, and gently lowers it down to the ground.[sup]5[/sup]

Then he returns the stairs to their place and disembarks, inviting any guests to do so as well. The grogs, meanwhile, begin to prepare to unload.

[hr][/hr]
[sup]1[/sup] He casts Invisible Porter to help move rubble. It's a ReTe10 spell and he has +38 with the spell, plus an additional 4 for the local Aura. Assuming it's only a simple die he rolls, Stephen can't fail. If you want me to roll, however, just let me know and I'll be happy to.

[sup]2[/sup] I'll describe the return trip on case anyone decides to come along.

[sup]3[/sup] Using Harnessing to dismiss the Invisible Conveyance spell that's on it.

[sup]4[/sup] Casting Vessel of the Clouds ReHe40
Casting Total: 1d10 + 20 (Re) + 12 (He) + 2 (Sta) + 4 (talisman) = 1d10+38=43; success

[sup]5[/sup]Int + Finesse checks to turn and move. (I'm not sure if this counts as 'precision' or not. For the time being, I won't take the extra +1. Just let me know if I should.)
Roll to turn (EF 6): 1d10+8=15; success
Roll to accelerate to walking pace (EF 6): 1d10+8=17; success
Roll to accelerate to moderate speed (EF 12): 1d10+8=13; success
Roll to decelerate to walking pace (EF 12): 1d10+8=9; failure
Roll to decelerate to walking pace (EF 12): 1d10+8=13; success
Roll to come to a stop (EF 6): 1d10+8=11; success
Roll to make final turn to get in place (EF 6): 1d10+8=15; success

[hr][/hr]
This is a concept piece for the Argo. In fact, the Argo is a bit smaller than this one. But this gives a good idea of what it looks like, in general.

Another concept piece that you could use is the one below, though the structure would be larger.

[hr][/hr]

This shows where the boat could have been put down and what size it is. If you think that's just too big to be reasonable for his boat, I can drop it down to 30 feet.

[hr][/hr]
It does occur to me that if you really think that the boat needs some kind of support, the Argo could carry some chocks, or the like, around with it. When it was ready to land, it could hover a few feet off the ground while the sailors hopped out and moved the chocks into place. Then the boat could land on them.

[OOC: What about an effect to make the ground beneath it like water momentarily as it touches down?
Trigger effect is the boat touching the earth, and it dissipates quickly forming a tight fit to the boat. Would also mean that a crash isn't as bad if you allow for a larger area of effect - splash instead of crash. Add it as a constant effect to the ship, with the trigger.

MuTe/Aq 5 - Base 3, R:Touch +1, T:Part +1. Perhaps some +mags to affect stone, or a size bump? level 5 to 15 depending on the complexity.]

Heh, OK, fair enough.

Scott

[OOC: I think you might be going a little overboard with the counterexamples.]

[OOC: MTKnife, correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression is that the "ruins" at the covenant are something on this sort of scale google.co.uk/maps/place/Tan ... 30efec39af ,based on modern day photos of the site, modified for less time but more people trying to build directly on the site already (i.e. it's more a question of completely rebuilding rather than repairing).]

"The mason could direct you as to what the walls needed to be like, and where they needed to go, I suppose. And you could do a lot with spells to create a wall, even if not everything. On the Terram vis issue, we could possibly trade for it with you, if we have a type of vis you need?"

"If you still need to learn the spell, we have a lab text for it in our library, as well as a mastery tractatus. Obviously though, this is all starting to be a lot of work, for a covenant that isn't even your own, and I'd be ashamed if the roughness of our covenant kept you from your own researches. Then again, if you want to learn the spell anyway," he shrugs, and smiles "I certainly wouldn't say no."

He'll not accompany Stephen to fetch the Argo - give him a chance to mull over the visit so far, and have any conversations he wants with his men. He'll be waiting, though, when the boat arrives.

OOC: Okay, maybe a little bit overboard. :slight_smile:

[hr][/hr]
"I'll be sure to consult with the mason both about quarrying stone, moving stone, and building walls. It might be that I can be of some help in the process. As for the Terram vim issue, I could always use Vim or Herbam vis, or Creo or Rego, if you have any of those available."

When he learns that they have a lab text for Conjuring the Mystic Tower, Stephen smiles. "That's even better," he replies. "Of course, if I need to make my lab underground, it may require me to invent a variant of the spell that can create underground chambers. I'll have to look into that. But really, it is a spell I wanted to learn, so it's no trouble at all for me to finally get around to learning it."

[hr][/hr]
MTK, two questions:

1.) Is it possible to place a tower such that an above-ground lab will have a level 5 aura?

2.) Will Conjuring the Mystic Tower allow you to create underground chambers, or at least connect to underground chambers that already exist?

"We have some Creo, Rego and Vim. Not any Herbam, I don't think. I'll bring it up at our next council meeting - confirm the other members are agreeable with a trade."

I think that was asked a long time back in the forums somewhere, and the advice was that a separate effect was needed to create caves or underground structures. A different enough effect to need a separate spell. from memory there was also a discussion of using different techniques in the cave forming spell too (re and mu, or Cr & Pe together). That said, the Tower's foundations are meant to go a few floors below ground (I can't recall the text atm) so it seems plausible that the Tower could be linked with an underground area in that manner.

Edit: Found a thread, but isn't the one I recalled. It has a suggestion for the effect.

[OOC: I'd agree that Conjuring the Mystic Tower isn't really set up for creating underground rooms - you're more going to want a Rego or Perdo spell for that. I suppose technically you could create a massive cavern (or, say, find one in a level 7 magic regio, but that thread's still ongoing and I'm not sure it wouldn't turn out to be horribly risky) and then create the tower within that, but that seems a plan with drawbacks.]

"Then by all means, feel free to use the text."

Is Stephen going to want to do anything besides unpacking of note, or shall we skip to the dinner?

[I'm assuming other people want to roleplay the dinner at least in part, to have other magi meet Stephen?]

"Excellent," Stephen replies. "Now, if you'll show me where my sanctum will be, then I'll see to getting my things unloaded. I should have more than enough people with my own grogs. No need to trouble the ones at the covenant."

[hr][/hr]
OOC: Stephen is content to simply unpack until dinner.

There are two sorts of ruins: first, the old Greek city (which is what you see there, though those walls might have been uncovered by archeological excavation); these occupy the entire square area. Second, there's the ruins of the old covenant, which are closer to being full buildings, and therefore need something closer to repairs.

[And sorry for the delay--I had a grueling job interview Tuesday, and another distraction on Wednesday.]

Scott

You'd have to extend the pipe system, unless you wanted to use it to replace a ruined building from the old covenant (those are the only parts of the orignal plumbing system that were repaired by the old covenant), or place it right next to the central fountain.

I don't see why it couldn't have an entrance to a cave. Also, since the foundation goes down 20 feet, I would think you'd just have to dig out the dirt that lies within that foundation.

Scott

"For your sanctum, I recommend taking either the free laboratory I showed you earlier, or your room in the main house," Gregorius suggests. "Unfortunately we don't have another lab with the living quarters attached to it, so you're not going to be able to get both - although I suppose we could move a bed in to the lab if you want. Might get a bit cramped, though."

[OOC: The lab stats are here: https://forum.atlas-games.com/t/vacant-and-guest-laboratories/8800/1 ]

[Moving on, but feel free to continue the earlier conversation in parallel.]

Stephen was shown the dining room in the tour earlier - it's a reasonably sized room in the building behind the main house which also houses the kitchen. The magi are seated at one table, whilst the rest of the covenfolk are scattered around the others.

Gregorius is there in good time, and will give Stephen a quick summary of who's expected.

"The members of the covenant are myself, Tasia of Guernicus and Viola of Merinita. In addition, we've got a couple of visiting magi. I mentioned Fray earlier, but we've also got another Merinita, Calliope, here."

"I'll take the free lab," Stephen says as he starts the unpacking process. "I don't mind having my sanctum split up for now. I'm sure we'll sort things out in time." Then he proceeds to direct the unloading of part of the boat into his new lab and some personal effects into whatever room the covenant assigns him. The boxes are moved by a mix of grogs and an unseen porter spell.

"I have some treats you might like," he says to Gregorius as he passes the other magus during one unloading trip. "Some linens from England, some wine from France, some glassware from Venice. That sort of thing. It's not a lot, but I figured I might as well pick up a few things and I passed through different places in Europa.[sup]1[/sup]

Stephen spends most of the time before dinner making sure that he, Godwin, and the grogs are as settled as possible. The three sailors elect to stay on the boat, there being plenty of room for them now that over half of the people that were traveling on it have now moved to quarters in the covenant. But he's there promptly for dinner, looking forward to meeting the other magi.

"Do you expect everyone for dinner tonight?" he asks Gregorius after he's been given the list of magi who live at the covenant.

[hr][/hr]
[sup]1[/sup] I'm not thinking this would be anything major - just a few nice things from around Europa to share with his new friends. Sort of like a host gift.